Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • oldskoo1
    • By oldskoo1 15th Apr 12, 12:25 AM
    • 599Posts
    • 504Thanks
    Updating kitchen doors
    • #1
    • 15th Apr 12, 12:25 AM
    Updating kitchen doors 15th Apr 12 at 12:25 AM
    Our next task is updating a kitchen

    The house we are buying is only 9 years old so the carcasses should be standard fitment and fine. The layout is perfect so we don't see the need to rip it out.

    However, i've only every replaced kitchens completely. We have seen the doors and handles we want.

    The appliances are fitted, like the dishwasher, oven and fridge freezer. Standard stuff really.

    I have no experience of replacing doors. Obviously the door styles and panels are going to be different, especially the blanking plates around the oven, fridge freezer etc... I assume (help me out here) that this doesn't matter. If our new oven panels are different, i assume the fitter just re-positions to oven slightly to accommodate the new panels / doors. Same with the sink? It will have to be in the same position / same carcass but the size will be different so they just cut the new worktop to match it.

    So ultimately i don't have to worry that the doors or draws will be different heights? They will just position them higher or lower on the carcasses... obviously the overall height and width should match... which shouldn't be a problem as the carcasses are standard sizes.

    Perhaps a basic question but i just have to get it right for my own sanity.

Page 1
  • majjie
    • #2
    • 15th Apr 12, 12:27 PM
    • #2
    • 15th Apr 12, 12:27 PM
    It's unlikely that your fitter will be able to re-position a built-in oven or fridge oldskoo, or move any drawers. They're fixed in position in the carcasse. If you're going to have to take the carcasse apart and re-build it, you'd be better off buying a new one.

    If the units are standard, though, you should be able to get the same height of drawer fronts/doors etc. (as long as your supplier uses the same standard, of course!) ... or you could buy made to measure doors, as long as you're happy with vinyl or laminate finish (made to measure timber doors are expensive).

    The sink isn't a problem, if you're replacing the worktop ... as long as the bowls will fit into the size of carcasse you have underneath.

    A lot of kitchen companies won't touch replacement doors, because there are so many things that can go wrong ... you need to look around for a specialist company ... or find a fitter willing to do it for you. If you know a good fitter - he's the best one to ask for advice on how to do it.
    I write blogs about kitchens ... and I design kitchens for a living ... I just love kitchens!
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 15th Apr 12, 4:54 PM
    • 35,931 Posts
    • 46,278 Thanks
    • #3
    • 15th Apr 12, 4:54 PM
    • #3
    • 15th Apr 12, 4:54 PM
    ~Are the present doors paintable.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,702Posts Today

7,039Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke?

  • No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr?

  • Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R?

  • Follow Martin