We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Getting a job after prison?

Options
Hi everyone

A close family friend is currently in prison and is due to come out in a few months.
He is in prison for really silly things that just escalated and they basically had enough of him messing about. He had issues with drugs and alcohol, and did things like stealing cat food and mps players from tesco etc.
It all just built up and they gave him a year in prison.

It seems now that he is off the drugs and has been working towards some qualifications whilst being in prison.

He has had many jobs over the the last 10 years, and is actually a very hard worker, but it always came back to the drug issue.

Anyway when he gets out, he is moving to a new area completely, to be near another family member who is offering to help him with accommodation and get him on his feet. This is absolutely his last chance and he knows if he messes this up, then he is on his own.

Does anyone know if there are any organisations out there who can give advice on getting a job after being in prison?
He will do anything, he just wants to work and keep busy.

Would appreciate any advice/experience.

Thanks

Comments

• Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    NACRO should be able to assist (National Association for the Care & Resettlement of Offenders) in helping him find work.
  • dandelionclock30
    dandelionclock30 Posts: 3,235 Forumite
    edited 24 February 2012 at 11:55AM
    Options
    The reality of the situation is that there are a few orgainizations which can offer some support but theres no magic wand really and the amount of support he will get depends on what is available where he lives.
    Orgainizations that can help are NACRO, ,Working Links- which will do the same as the generic work programme. unlock.org.uk have some useful advice on disclosure of records etc.
    Ask him to ask the CARAT worker at the prison to refer him to suitable organizations.They should do this as part of his discharge plan.
    Depending on what area he lives a drug/alcohol service may be able to provide him with aftercare- some of this can be support from an employment worker.
    He can also do voluntary work whilst he is looking for work as many volunteer places will now accept ex offenders as long as what they did wasnt sex offences or very serious violence.
    Also a lot of prisons have chaplaincy projects which again can offer him support post release and he doesnt have to be religious.
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    Options
    I would make sure the relative that is helping him has seen a drugs test report.

"take me in oh tender woman, cried the snake"....
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • LadyMissA
    LadyMissA Posts: 3,263 Forumite
    Options
    You probably have more chance getting a job if you have been inside than if you were made redundant these days!!!
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    Options
    I was thinking something along the lines of if people on the out cant get a job what chance does someone have whose coming out of prison?
    :footie:
  • LadyMissA
    Options
    red_devil wrote: »
    I was thinking something along the lines of if people on the out cant get a job what chance does someone have whose coming out of prison?
    they have a LOT more support as stated on here already and at least they can account for their time.
  • T-Sil
    T-Sil Posts: 175 Forumite
    Options
    Yep, I was expecting those kind of replies but thank you for going easy on me :)

Thanks to those that gave me the names of the organisations, thats very helpful and we will look into them.

T-Sil
  • boobies
    boobies Posts: 283 Forumite
    Options
    LadyMissA wrote: »
    they have a LOT more support as stated on here already and at least they can account for their time.

They have the equivalent of the WP available to them, so no more than any other long term unemployed person.
  • LadyMissA
    Options
    boobies wrote: »
    They have the equivalent of the WP available to them, so no more than any other long term unemployed person.
    If it's the equivalent of the WP then they will get ZERO help!!
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    Options
    Many years ago I ran a JobClub that was for ex-offenders. They were referred by the Probation Service, but was funded by normal training provider funding. We had the best outcomes for jobs in the entire area... because these guys wanted to work, and had asked to be referred to us.

We worked on their CV's and advised about declaration of offences, etc. We were honest with them about their limitations, and gave them opportunities to use phones, newspapers, etc. Internet wasn't widely available then, and jobs were quite scarce in that part of the country.

Just shows that when you really want it, it can happen for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport