We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Getting a job after prison?

Options
2»

Comments

• Gazing_On_Sunsets
    Options
    I work in a prison. His chances depend entirely on his character and it will be hard, very hard. Tell him he must not lie about his convictions, but nor does he have to write them on the application form which gets photocopied around the interview panel - he needs to put a separate letter in, marked "For HR only".

We give our guys small business skills, as with drive and determination, and a trade, they can work for themselves better than hunting for a job. Like anyone going self employed, they have to be prepared to work 30 hours a day, 8 days a week. But as someone said above, if they really want it, they will do it.

Voluntary work is also good, and getting into helping others, especially young men at school who need mentors before they make the same mistakes. A proper ex-offender has more influence than a grey suited teacher.

And remember also to get onto the hidden job market. Mates of mates of mates, someone who needs a hand with car valeting or two weeks' labouring work or ANYTHING because often these things grow, and word gets around. He will have to prove himself, and he will have to do this over and over and over till he's sick of it. But it's the price he's paying, I'm afraid. Society is not content with someone just serving their time. The punishment continues long after the release date. Best of luck to him.
  • LadyMissA
    LadyMissA Posts: 3,263 Forumite
    Options
    We give our guys small business skills, as with drive and determination, and a trade, they can work for themselves better than hunting for a job. Like anyone going self employed, they have to be prepared to work 30 hours a day, 8 days a week. But as someone said above, if they really want it, they will do it.
    Wow so many hours in a day!
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,894 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    LadyMissA wrote: »

And so many days in a week!
  • alyth
    alyth Posts: 2,671 Forumite
    Options
    Strangely I was in my uni Costas this afternoon and they had a notice up, saying how fair trade their beans, etc were. At the bottom there was a bit about how they would take on former offenders and give them a chance - I can't remember the exact wording but perhaps worth contacting them - or seeing whether NACRO are able to put your friend in contact with Costas.
  • hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    Options
    LadyMissA wrote: »

clearly it is a good point well made. If someone does give you a chance after this, and he wants to turn it around, then being flexible and adaptable is an expectation in return.
  • gibson123
    gibson123 Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    Options
    if he is willing to work for it he will get a job eventually, and under the rehabilitation of offenders act he cannot be discriminated against. He can get help from APEX on disclosure of qualifications and some companies are extremely positive about employing ex-offender e.g Timpson who do shoe repairs and key cutting is one.

He may have to work voluntary to build up a credible reference and a track record.

For anyone wanting to make derogatory comments please remember that effective rehabilitation is good for the whole of society and the prevention of re-offending saves us all a lot of tax money.

Finally in my experience drug addicts are the most difficult to rehabilitate, even if they are model prisoners they often go back into addiction as soon as they are free. It is incredibly important you get him some help on the issues that resulted in his addiction in the first place. Good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure