PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Shared Accommodation & house mate not paying bills

Options

Comments

• Ulfar
    Ulfar Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    Options
    A Pair of head phones for £280.00 when he owes money, someone seriously needs to grow up and face reality.

If you have his home address, I would as others have stated write a letter to him and his parents advising that the next action will be going to court.

Then go through small claims court.
  • BitterAndTwisted
    Options
    £280 headphone can be bought on credit. Paying your landlady's rent or your flat-mates your share of the bills by the same method is not possible. Or not straightforward shall we say

I've met people just like your flatmate, so there seems to be a fair few people around of the same ilk. Some of them end up in jams which are not for the fainthearted to witness. I wish you and your landlady all the luck in the world.
  • MoneySavingUser
    Options
    Finalv wrote: »
    Reassuring when he said the same thing the day he left owing the money after buying a pair of £280 headphones.
    :mad::mad:

Luckily I never had problems like this when in uni!
  • BitterAndTwisted
    Options
    Student loans and the consequent available credit can do interesting things to those inexperienced in handling their own financial obligations. Luckily, I suspect most of those new to a Uni education are more cautious.
  • Finalv
    Finalv Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    £280 headphone can be bought on credit. Paying your landlady's rent or your flat-mates your share of the bills by the same method is not possible. Or not straightforward shall we say

I've met people just like your flatmate, so there seems to be a fair few people around of the same ilk. Some of them end up in jams which are not for the fainthearted to witness. I wish you and your landlady all the luck in the world.

He paid cash for them, he came back from his parents the day after his payday with them >.< he also owed other house mate money at the time and "couldn't afford it"
  • tbs624
    tbs624 Posts: 10,816 Forumite
    edited 8 January 2012 at 8:59PM
    Options
    Tell him to ebay his headphones and cough up. In these circumstances, I think I might have look round his room and draw up a list of sell-able items and ask him which he is going to ebay/take down to Cash Converters first :wink:

There are some folk who think it is acceptable to go through life expecting others to make up their shortfall. Sorry, B&T but if he did say buy those headphones on a credit card he could presumably have got himself a cash advance.

Personally, I blame the idiots that thought it was fine to teach kids that racking up debt was okay - he probably hopes his rent & utility debts will be written off, along with his student debt.

Seriously OP, he needs to know that you mean business so get formal . There is absolutely no reason why you should be subsidising his living costs. He needs to man up and take some responsibility.
  • Finalv
    Options
    Student loans and the consequent available credit can do interesting things to those inexperienced in handling their own financial obligations. Luckily, I suspect most of those new to a Uni education are more cautious.

Unfortunately this was me in my first year of Uni. I was very careless with my money ( the little of it left after extortionate prices at my halls of residence). Ended up with a nice sum of debt, luckily a lot of is dealt with now and the rest will be this year.
  • Finalv
    Options
    tbs624 wrote: »
    Tell him to ebay his headphones and cough up. In these circumstances, I think I might have look round his room and draw up a list of sell-able items and ask him which he is going to ebay/take down to Cash Converters first :wink:

There are some folk who think it is acceptable to go through life expecting others to make up their shortfall. Sorry, B&T but if he did say buy those headphones on a credit card he could presumably have got himself a cash advance.

Personally, I blame the idiots that thought it was fine to teach kids that racking up debt was okay - he probably hopes his rent & utility debts will be written off, along with his student debt.

Seriously OP, he needs to know that you mean business so get formal . There is absolutely no reason why you should be subsidising his living costs. He needs to man up and take some responsibility.

Luckily if he does decide to cut his losses and run, he has a brand new 32" Flat screen that would cover the costs of his debt to me. I wouldn't just take this obviously I would follow official procedure. ( he works and earns anything from £0 due to not bothering to work or £800 a month) as soon as he gets paid he spends it in a lump sum on whatever he desires that month. The reason he can choose how much to work is that he works with his parents and they let him choose his hours.
  • tbs624
    tbs624 Posts: 10,816 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know whether they will be - by the time I has read MSE Martin's "defence" of the new fees/loan set up coming in this year I was almost wishing I had no previous higher ed so that I could sign up as a mature applicant and take on 9k pa tuition fees;)

The minute one of my offspring reached adulthood his bank offered & granted him a sizeable overdraft facility without him making the request ( was studying and working PT only)

I can remember having to grovel to get even a short term OD facility , despite being in well paid FT employment with very low outgoings at the time.
  • DirtyDick
    DirtyDick Posts: 415 Forumite
    Options
    If you're at university, you can take it up with them too. There are expected standards of behaviour for staff and students which can be enforced through expulsion etc. They could probably also complicate his student loans payments. Whether they'd actually get involved in this action over a domestic issue is another matter, but I'm at least sure they'd offer to mediate
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport