🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Card cloning

Options
2»

Comments

• Bloomberg
    Options
    rb10 wrote: »
    I have found that people are often too quick to blame card fraud on 'cloning'.

Not all fraud is cloning.

Similarly, people tend to be quick to say that 'it happened at xyz petrol station'. How on earth can you know this to be the case? It is little more than a guess, given that your card has probably also been used in countless other places.

And the fact that a sizeable chunk of the population will have used their card in a petrol station in the month or so leading up to experiencing card fraud doesn't help.

Admittedly under normal circumstances you can only guess where your card was cloned. It just seems that petrol stations seems to have a reputation for cloning. I have met people who have been advised by the bank that a petrol station was the culprit.
    Money is a wise mans religion
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bloomberg wrote: »
    Admittedly under normal circumstances you can only guess where your card was cloned. It just seems that petrol stations seems to have a reputation for cloning. I have met people who have been advised by the bank that a petrol station was the culprit.

Whichever bank told people where the card had been cloned will be in deep trouble ! If theres a police investigation going on, telling people where the point of compromise was is a huge error on the banks part. I'm not sure whether i believe it though.
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
    Bloomberg wrote: »
    I have met people who have been advised by the bank that a petrol station was the culprit.

In 99% of cases the bank won't ever know where it took place. It's just that most people (including those working in bank customer services) have a perception that petrol stations are the culprits.

Just because a bank said something doesn't make it true.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have had 3 lots of £150 withdrawn from my cc in Manila of all places! I am convinced that the details were somehow accessed via a self-service machine at a well-known airport.

The cc company detected this when a 4th cash transaction was attempted in Indonesia, and blocked the card. I have since had a full refund.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • morganedge
    morganedge Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    Options
    I know someone who made LOTS of money cloning cards about 10 years ago.

As for debit cards - I can tell you that I was a vitim of card fraud (although I dont know whether it as a result of cloning or not) where about £600 was spent on my DEBIT card on Christmas Eve. I felt sick. However, my bank (Lloyds) gave me my money back within about 4 days.
  • Bloomberg
    Bloomberg Posts: 665 Forumite
    Options
    morganedge wrote: »
    I know someone who made LOTS of money cloning cards about 10 years ago.

As for debit cards - I can tell you that I was a vitim of card fraud (although I dont know whether it as a result of cloning or not) where about £600 was spent on my DEBIT card on Christmas Eve. I felt sick. However, my bank (Lloyds) gave me my money back within about 4 days.

In my opinion people who clone cards are scum. I too would feel sick and a sense of violation if somebody cloned my card and spent money on it. Looking at the responses on this post it would appear that the banks are quick to refund people which is good.
    Money is a wise mans religion
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    rb10 wrote: »
    I have found that people are often too quick to blame card fraud on 'cloning'.

Not all fraud is cloning.

Similarly, people tend to be quick to say that 'it happened at xyz petrol station'. How on earth can you know this to be the case? It is little more than a guess, given that your card has probably also been used in countless other places.

And the fact that a sizeable chunk of the population will have used their card in a petrol station in the month or so leading up to experiencing card fraud doesn't help.

Admittedly mine wasn't an example of card cloning in the widest sense, but it was fairly obviously the petrol station who had done it when on Day 1 I had the legitimate petrol sale for £X from that petrol station, and on the following day there was a second entry for petrol sale for £Y at that same petrol station. Given I only did a couple of thousand miles a year, I knew I hadn't visited them on the following day and that it was a fraudulent entry ... :)
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
    Yorkie1 wrote: »
    Admittedly mine wasn't an example of card cloning in the widest sense, but it was fairly obviously the petrol station who had done it when on Day 1 I had the legitimate petrol sale for £X from that petrol station, and on the following day there was a second entry for petrol sale for £Y at that same petrol station. Given I only did a couple of thousand miles a year, I knew I hadn't visited them on the following day and that it was a fraudulent entry ... :)

In that case, I would say that it wasn't fraud that you suffered from (card cloning or otherwise), but merely an error on the part of either your bank, or (more likely), the petrol station's bank.
  • username
    username Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Once again a petrol station is the culprit. I don't know why they seem to the the places where most cards are cloned.
    It's because there's a high turnover of people, paying for relatively high value transactions with a card (so no doubt they will have some cash in their account/credit to be able to pay for their £70 tank of fuel). Also, many of these places are just single manned with little supervision, so there's a perfect opportunity for the fraudster to tinker with the hardware where there is a lull in customers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport