Options
2»

Comments

• Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    setmefree2 wrote: »
    Yup so there are plenty of people who would be better off paying back student debt rather than mortgages because some of us have mortgages of just 0.99% (BOE base rate + 0.49%) ;). RPI was 5.5% yesterday and doesn't looking like it's going down any time soon, so the student debt is likely to be more expensive that the mortgage debt in the future.

So a big congrats to the OP :T:T:T

Theres a clause in the student loan (well for most of us anyway, anyone after 1997) which means it also cannot be more than 1% above base rate.

So even if inflation was 10%, if base rate is 0.5%, it'll still only cost 1.5%.

Good times. Profiting like a maniac I am.

The OP was also presumbly overpaying when the loan rate was -0.4%. Now even surely you will admit that this makes no financial sense?
  • setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Lokolo wrote: »
    Theres a clause in the student loan (well for most of us anyway, anyone after 1997) which means it also cannot be more than 1% above base rate.

Good times. Profiting like a maniac I am.

The OP was also presumbly overpaying when the loan rate was -0.4%. Now even surely you will admit that this makes no financial sense?

By overpaying when rates are low you can overpay more capital than interest, so when rates rise again you don't pay large amounts of interest as the loan has gone - simples!

The op has avoided paying interest at 4.4% this year and potentially 5.5% next year by overpaying the capital when it attracted no interest.

Anyway, it's all academic, as we nothing about the OP but if the OP is happy so am I. :T:T
  • atypical
    atypical Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    edited 23 March 2011 at 1:10PM
    Options
    Lokolo wrote: »
    I know it's not likely, but have you thought about the risk of inflation getting out of hand, BoE rate rising quickly but saving interest rates not increasing in tow?

I think accounts linked to the BoE rate are worth opening just as a fall back, even if you only keep £1 in there. It's a bit awkward that the current ones all seem to be ISAs though.
    The op has avoided paying interest at 4.4% this year and potentially 5.5% next year by overpaying the capital when it attracted no interest.
    The OP could have saved the overpayments in a savings account thus effectively earning whatever the rate was there + 0.4%. If/when the rate increased the next year they could have made the student loan overpayment.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    atypical wrote: »
    I know it's not likely, but have you thought about the risk of inflation getting out of hand, BoE rate rising quickly but saving interest rates not increasing in tow?

I think accounts linked to the BoE rate are worth opening just as a fall back, even if you only keep £1 in there. It's a bit awkward that the current ones all seem to be ISAs though.

Indeed, as well as index link certs - well, when they were available ;)
  • rfowler
    rfowler Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For me its the fact of paying a debt off; that's more important.

Now i can concenrtate on my mortgage,

for me it was the right move
  • sweet12
    sweet12 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    congratulations. Sometimes its nice to know one thing is clear. No longer hanging over your head
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    How do you know what interest rate the op was paying on their student loan or their mortgage?

Why wouldn't I know the interest rate on a student loan?

What I do know is that s/he'd still have to make the mortgage repayments if made redundant whereas nothing would be needed to be paid on the loan.

We have been here before!
  • rupertb_2
    rupertb_2 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Congratulations, well done! I know how you feel with having the burden on your shoulders, it took me nearly 10 years to pay mine back, but what a relief when it was done.

Just the mortgage now!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport