Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Dec 10, 1:15 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 25th Dec 10, 1:15 AM
    25th Dec 10 at 1:15 AM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2011, a new decade and a new beginning!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month and may I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year! Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-12-2010 at 9:09 AM.
Page 114
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 26th Jan 11, 7:58 AM
    • 3,406 Posts
    • 34,882 Thanks
    XSpender
    Morning

I am declaring £350.35 for Jan, 35p over but the closest I have ever been I have also achieved my NSD target of 15 not-spending-on- anything-at-all days. Will go for the same next month.

Sticking to the meal plan but will need to shift things around a bit for the next 2 days as I have run out of cheese and refuse to spend any more until my new month starts on Friday. Made my friend Jacket pots with cheese in return for a free haircut for me and DS and and a good catch up so a very fair deal. So Qu0rn fillets topped with salsa, cheese and tortillas swapped with sausage, mash and veg tonight and a rummage in the freezer for Thursday nights tea.

I am really looking forward to next months challenge and my £60 cash purse. I have costed up my shopping list based on the meal plan for Friday and it comes to just under £50 at Mr T. This includes BOGOF Cath city and half price Qu0rn pieces. I don't need the quorn pieces until the following Friday but at a saving of £1.50 it would be rude not to as the offer ends before then.

I have asked DH to get me a couple of cardboard boxes fom work so I can start my June and Holiday boxes off. Mr T have a good reduction on my favourite beans so have costed in buying some extra to go in these 'stores'. I will need to find a good place to hide them as I hid half an 18 pack of crisps I go half price last week and he found them and needless to say scoffed the lot!

Can anyone advise me if it is Lidl that do the cheap bread flour? Do they stock this all the time or is it just on offer now and again?

I seem to remember it getting positive comments on here in previous months but I may be getting mixed up. Mr T have H0vis white at 2 for £2.00 ut I need w/meal too

I will have to make a white loaf today as we have run out of wholemeal flour
    October Grocery Challenge - £122.00/£220
    • happycrafter
    • By happycrafter 26th Jan 11, 8:09 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 4,543 Thanks
    happycrafter
    L!Dl bread flour seems to be the same price all the time i think approx 60p but A$da has some as well for about 51p but that sells out so quickly where I live so I stock up when I can.

and WELL DONE on your Jan budget!!!

what do you put in your June/ Holiday boxes? this may be of interest for me with 2 hungry growing boys!
  • martafdz
    I love these boards; I always go away feeling happier and more able to 'do things'. Boy do I wish I'd found this site years ago.

I think, as well as the 'thank you' 'quote' etc bits at the bottom of each post we should have a 'sending you lots of hugs and kisses' to all those fantastic board organisers and for when the rest of us feeling a bit low.
    Originally posted by gdyr1945
    I completely agree with this!!!

Can anyone advise me if it is Lidl that do the cheap bread flour? Do they stock this all the time or is it just on offer now and again?

I seem to remember it getting positive comments on here in previous months but I may be getting mixed up. Mr T have H0vis white at 2 for £2.00 ut I need w/meal too
    Originally posted by XSpender
    Idk but MrM has 1.5Kg (not the 1kg one) of strong white bread for £1.19, I think w/m was same price but I cannot remember

After reading so much about stocking up, I might try this. I have a tiny cupboard in a tiny flat, so I am not sure how much I can stock up! Also, my freezer is just the bottom part of my fridge. I am looking forward to have my own house and have a chest freezer and loads of cupboards! *dreams* .... *wakes up* ... I need to pay first my debt and then save for the deposit, so I better get a method with this!! Lol

About saving on cleaning products, I read it in these forums a year ago or so and I have done it since then: if you read the labels of cleaning products for the floor, for the kitchen, for surfaces, etc... they are mostly the same! Buy one of those big "all purpose" with a smell you like, fill 1/8 of one of those empty bottles with spray dispenser and fill the rest with water. Same effect. Promise. For everyday cleaning is more than enough and in fact it might be even the same!! The products for the floor are concentrated (that is why you need to dilute them in water), whilst the ones in the spray are already diluted. However, the floor ones are much cheaper compared by quantity. I bought two Flash Febreeze floor cleaning products last year when they were on offer and I still have them. I have saved loads.

Example with current prices:
    Flash with Febreeze 1L bottle is at £2.03, the 500ml bottle with the dispenser is at the same price for half the quantity (but the 1L one is concentrated too!). Dettol Antibacterial MultiAction Cleaner 1L is £2.25, but if you buy the 750ml botle with dispenser is £3.00 (=£4.00 per litre). Ecover Multi Surface 1L is £2.53 but the dispenser 500ml with Limescale remover is £3.78 (=£7.56 per litre); the difference between the Limescale one and the other one is that the first has 5%-15% Citric Acid (that means lemon) whilst the other one doesn't, but the other one has fatty acids and alcohol. Some of this spray dispensers are hard to remove, as you have to just pull them out and the first time it is a bit hard. In mine I had to pull up as if it were a tin with a ring, I put the fingers in the gap where the trigger goes and then pull close to me as hard as I can. Once you do it once I think it is easier later. I always add only the bottom of the concentrated stuff (about 1/8 or 1/6) and then fill the rest with water. I can honestly say that I prefer it now, it feels more watery and less foamy but I do not need it, and it was a pain to remove the foam previously anyway! It cleans well and I feel it's not as abrassive.

I think I am going to go to Sainsb online and read all my previous orders (the ones before I started the challenge, now I do not order online as I was spending too much). That way I might get info on how much I used non-perishable basics like toilet rolls, toothpaste or shower gel. I could try to stock up one of those items per month and budget for that!
    Last edited by martafdz; 26-01-2011 at 9:09 AM.
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 26th Jan 11, 9:28 AM
    • 3,406 Posts
    • 34,882 Thanks
    XSpender
    Thanks for the info on Lidl and A$da bread flour. I have both stores close by so I will have a look in both on Friday.

I have only just started the boxes following a tip from another poster. My June box is going to be store cupboard items like beans, mushy peas, cereal, bread flour and 2 freezer drawers of HM meals, sausages, quorn pieces, milk etc. the stuff we would usually buy in a month so that I can have a really cheap June, only buying fresh fruit and veg so that I can save that months GC money towards our holiday and/or Christmas. I haven't decided what to spend it onyet, depends if it works/I can manage it.

We are going away to a static caravan in August for 2 weeks so will put tinned veg, beans, crisps, biscuits, family tins of soup, tea bags, loo roll, kitchen roll in it so that all I need to buy for the 2 weeks is fresh stuff.
    October Grocery Challenge - £122.00/£220
  • Mothership
    Pearl Barley Broth the OLD way
    lamb bones, (roast in oven for half an hour at 200)
    (free From Donald Russell with purchase I used 2 but 1 would have been plenty, a small piece of flank mutton or lamb shank would be just as good if you cant get bones)

1/2 cup Pearl Barley
    3 Carrots (peel and put in whole)
    1/4 Swede (Turnip, the large brown kind, peel and put in in large chunks)
    2 Good sized potatoes (peeled leave whole)
    1 Leek (chopped finely)
    2 Onions(chopped finely)
    2 pints Water (to cover the bones/meat)

Parsley + salt to taste

Boil the bones, add pearl barley, simmer for a while until the meat falls from the bones, then fish out strip and cut into small pieces, discard any fat.
    To remove Fat... half a dozen Ice cubes swirled around the liquid and fished out immediately will catch it all, put them in a cup till they melt, pour off the water and put the fat in the bin.

Then add all the veg , except the parsley. Simmer till all the veg is soft then fish out mash up and put straight back into pot.

Sprinkle with parsley season to taste.

I cant even begin to describe the taste of this, it took me right back to when I was little in my granny's kitchen.
    This is how soup used to be made, no stock cubes around then. I have not made soup with bones EVER, so this was the first time for me. I've used Lamb shanks and flank mutton, but never just bones.
    The veg I used was what I've got left in the fridge it would be around 40p worth. So making soup with bones... IS CHEAP! And there's LOADS of it. Its a kind of dinner soup, very thick.

I will use up my perishables by the end of the month ready to start Feb challenge fresh.

PURSE/BANK

I've added a bit on to my signature it shows what is in both my second and 3rd Purse.
    I bought 12 Bags of Sugar this month @ 2 for £1 PP £1 I've used 2 (FOR THE MARMALADE) LOL. So I owe the purse £2 this month.

I've already paid for anything else I used throughout the month.

IOP means I owe purse
    PP means Purse Price, thats the price you charge yourself for the item.

I will list anything I buy at the bottom of my posts (not in the signature, I will keep that for the grocery challenge.) I tried putting it in there but not sure if there will be room.
    That way you will be able to see what I buy and from where how many I bought and the cost etc.

I went to Lidl this morning to buy the dishwasher tablets mentioned by a few of you, Dying to try them, they came out of my Jan Budget as they are not on special offer. Thank you OP's

2nd Purse
    12 bags Sugar T***O 2 for £1 Total Cost £6 Total Profit £6 PP £1 IOP £2
    Balance in 2nd Purse £90
    Balance in 3rd Purse £180

Just had a thought. I might open another bank account and deposit the contents of the 3rd purse. I will ask for a debit card for it. I will deposit any profits from 2nd purse when I have a decent amount .
    Will let you all know how I get on , not worked out to work it yet but will.
    I don't ever take the 3rd purse with me shopping
    Last edited by Mothership; 26-01-2011 at 9:53 AM. Reason: forgot to save info in signature
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
    • happycrafter
    • By happycrafter 26th Jan 11, 9:37 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 4,543 Thanks
    happycrafter
    I am going up to our caravan this weekend to check it over from winter - not looking forward to it tbh.

I might start a box for the caravan as well, plus have one for the kids over the summer holidays/half term breaks just need to find some where out the way to hide them....
    • russetred
    • By russetred 26th Jan 11, 10:09 AM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 9,385 Thanks
    russetred
    Hi guys, I was in our local corner shop today and spotted loads of price reductions eg honey cheerios 375g box for 60p, ovaltine jar for 97p, tins of veg, UHT milk 20p and lots of nappies and baby stuff. I was talking to the assistant and she said there's going to be a change in a lot of their lines so they're flogging off the old stock really cheap. This may just be a scottish chain but worth checking if you have a McColls in your area.

Loving all the craic on here and the new recipes esp the "how not to make marmalade", priceless mothership!

Quick recipe from me for using up fridge leftovers.
    Gammon and Leek crumble.

Cut L/O gammon into strips and add to 2 leeks sauted in a knob of butter.
    Make white sauce with 1TBSP of plain flour, 1oz of butter and 3/4 pint of milk. When thick add 1/4 carton L/O double cream and a heaped TSP of whole grain mustard. Mix with gammon and leek and pour into oven proof dish. Whizz stale bread till breadcrumbs and grate about 4 oz cheese. Mix together and stir in a good pinch of dried thyme. Spread over the top of the gammon and bake for 30mins at 180.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • Mothership
    Hi guys, I was in our local corner shop today and spotted loads of price reductions eg honey cheerios 375g box for 60p, ovaltine jar for 97p, tins of veg, UHT milk 20p and lots of nappies and baby stuff. I was talking to the assistant and she said there's going to be a change in a lot of their lines so they're flogging off the old stock really cheap. This may just be a scottish chain but worth checking if you have a McColls in your area.

Loving all the craic on here and the new recipes esp the "how not to make marmalade", priceless mothership!

Quick recipe from me for using up fridge leftovers.
    Gammon and Leek crumble.

Cut L/O gammon into strips and add to 2 leeks sauted in a knob of butter.
    Make white sauce with 1TBSP of plain flour, 1oz of butter and 3/4 pint of milk. When thick add 1/4 carton L/O double cream and a heaped TSP of whole grain mustard. Mix with gammon and leek and pour into oven proof dish. Whizz stale bread till breadcrumbs and grate about 4 oz cheese. Mix together and stir in a good pinch of dried thyme. Spread over the top of the gammon and bake for 30mins at 180.
    Originally posted by russetred
    Ooooh! I'm going to try that recipe it sounds absolutely yummy I have leeks and a gammon joint, (for my next pot of soup), just enough left in my Jan budget for cream. And a new pie dish I got for xmas, I will christen it with this nom nom nom! Thank you.
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 26th Jan 11, 10:41 AM
    • 15,518 Posts
    • 198,189 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    i was really good today went shops for bananas but they hadnt got any so i came home emptyhanded.

last nights tea was hm veggie shepherds pie, tonights will be hm veggie lasagne, got to make it this afty adn bake some more bread rolls as the last of the pack ups got used this morning.

the 2 doz muffins i made at the weekend are down to about 6 they go in pack ups and sometimes get nibbled after tea so will probally do some more tomorrow.

going aldi and farmfoods at the weekend so MrM will be a minimal shop so i can stock up at the cheaper ones.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
    • kippers
    • By kippers 26th Jan 11, 10:43 AM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 6,039 Thanks
    kippers
    you don't need a food processor, just chopping the veg up quite small would do, the food processor is needed if you are trying to sneak extra veg into kids without them knowing

Originally posted by rosieben
    My liquidiser broke a few weeks ago and icouldn't afford another one at the moment so i bought one of those hand held things for just under £6 from asda and it's brilliant....i use it to puree broad beans, runner beans and french beans and sneak it into spag bogs, chilli's and currys...they never know and it's more veg down them all (not just my DD's it's my DH i don't tell either).

Thanks for the info on Lidl and A$da bread flour. I have both stores close by so I will have a look in both on Friday.
    Originally posted by XSpender
    I use Asda's strong white flour at the moment as it's only 50p...my bread turns out great.

I am going up to our caravan this weekend to check it over from winter - not looking forward to it tbh.

Originally posted by happycrafter
    I would love a cavaran to go away for weekends with my DH and DD's...not only would we have to buy a caravan, but we would have to buy another car too as ours is too small to tow a caravan...i can dream though.

Well tonight i have 3 of my old friends from school coming round for dinner. We take it in turn to go round each others houses every couple of months. As it's at my house i'm cooking the main meal, one of them will bring drinks and one will bring a starter and one will bring chocs for afterwards...so we are always very stuffed afterwards.

I'm sure all this sounds wonderful and cheap, which it is, but i don't like it as i feel i have to cook twice as i have to cook for my DD's and DH first...i'd much prefer to get a takeaway as it would be a real treat for me as we never have them because of money...but i think takeaways must be a regular thing for my old friends as they all seem to have loads of money.

Also, i've got to go and give our house a hoover and dust...it's the only time i get embarressed about my house when they come round, as their houses are all like show homes with all crockery matching etc....i'm lucky to find two plates without chips in let along matching lol.

Anyway, i need to pull myself together...Me and my DH chose for me to stay at home to be here for the girls after school and have 3 allotments, i am very lucky as we are a very close family and i wouldn't have it any other way.

I've just made three portions of spag bog (2 to freeze and 1 for DD's and DH tonight).

The main meal i'm cooking tonight for a change is pizza, jacket potatoes, coleslaw and salad. I'll also put out my h/m beetroot, pickles and chuckneys to impress them. I never know what to cook as they don't eat spag bogs, currys or chilli's

Anyway, i've asked my DH to buy some butter for me on the way home so i don't have to put my 2kg stork margarine tub on the table.....it's never a problem for us when we eat so perhaps i should tell my husband not to buy it...what do you think?
    Last edited by kippers; 26-01-2011 at 10:53 AM.
  • ~moneysavingnovice~
    Was feeling really ropey this morning so bought myself a can of r*dbull from the train station- £1.99!

Only got £9 to do tomorrow night's weekly shop damage limitation time I think...
    Mortgage£148,725 Student loan£13,050 HSBC loan£12,221
    AprGC:£/£320
    • Chloris
    • By Chloris 26th Jan 11, 10:56 AM
    • 659 Posts
    • 9,479 Thanks
    Chloris
    Deep breath - I having been avoiding the fred as I know I have gone over budget. I have spent £375.11. Not great. But I am doing an annual and I hope to claw some of the over spend back. For me January included Yule, 5 weeks and DH birthday and my daughter wanted to do a party with lots of party food that we don't normally have (think jamie dodgers etc). I was going to use a celebration budget for this but as there is soooo much left I have included it in the GC. It will do packed lunches, snacks and puddings. Also am going away for a week early Feb so that with be holiday budget.

February starts today! So declaring £375.11 for January. Hoping for £300 in February (or less please!).
  • martafdz
    I received my first box from A&C today. I now have two swedes and a red pepper that I need to think about how to use. I might roast the red pepper with olive oil, I loved them in Spain with some chips and steak! They also last for a week or so in glass containers. I have not got a clue about the swedes, I might roast them with potatoes in cubes and add some herbs and garlic or something. I never cooked them from scrath *embarrassed smilie should go here* I have only had them if they came in some prepared veggies bag *another embarrassed smilie*. Any other ideas out there? I have onions, garlic, swede, potatoes, one red pepper, chestnut mushrooms and tinned/frozen carrots and peas.

Btw, is there anywhere where I could buy cheap: olive oil and brandy? Not for the same recipe lol. I need the cheapest brandy for truffles and cooking. We do not drink, so I do not mind if it is not that good or give huge hangovers, it will be used only for cooking.
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
    • Chloris
    • By Chloris 26th Jan 11, 11:01 AM
    • 659 Posts
    • 9,479 Thanks
    Chloris

Anyway, i've asked my DH to buy some butter for me on the way home so i don't have to put my 2kg stork margarine tub on the table.....it's never a problem for us when we eat so perhaps i should tell my husband not to buy it...what do you think?
    Originally posted by kippers
    Have you got a pretty little pot you could put some of it in? Like a ramekin? You can scoop whats left back into the massive tub after they go home. I remember my mother only bought butter for family parties because my grandad would be there. Only time she cleaned the teapot out too. HTH
    • Pernicious
    • By Pernicious 26th Jan 11, 11:15 AM
    • 1,786 Posts
    • 8,895 Thanks
    Pernicious
    you don't need a food processor, just chopping the veg up quite small would do, the food processor is needed if you are trying to sneak extra veg into kids without them knowing

Originally posted by rosieben
    I don't have that problem yet, but thanks for the tip

I ended up cooking the veg with some extra pasta & made a tomato sauce which looks like it will do both me & my OH's lunches for 2 days Makes a nice change from the usual sarnie!
    Debt at July 2012: £12,862.57
    Current Debt: £0
    100% paid off!
    Savings Goal for November 2016: £5000
    Current Savings: £1176.24
    23.52% Saved!
  • scotsaver
    Hi everyone - logged on here to catch up and have a break from the Kitchen, been in there since 8am this morning. Made some Bread, some rolls, leek & potato soup for tonight, pineapple upside down pud for tonight. The house now smells lovely - you can't beat the smell of HM Bread.

Dinner tonight will be Soup mentioned above, Lentil Rissoles, this is our "meat free" night and also this is a new recipe as I want to continue with trying 1 new recipe a week and then Pud mentioned above.

I shouldn't need to go to the shops today so will still have my last £1.35 intact - will post my totals tomorrow when my Feb GC starts. Off now to get some Housework done, have some lunch and keep my mind off the Shops.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• helen jelly
    We ran out of milk, ham, cheese, butter and DH wanted Liver so that and beer spends comes to £20!! I've made cheese bread twice now from the Carrs recipes and its lush. Used bread flour from Lidl for one of them and it was far better than MrT's stuff so thats a change for the better

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
    • greent
    • By greent 26th Jan 11, 12:10 PM
    • 8,189 Posts
    • 83,195 Thanks
    greent
    I'm declaring at lots over! I've gone over and have a couple of lost receipts still to add - still, I've stocked up on tins, loo roll, shampoo, cereals & 20kg basmati rice, so not all bad news. Will start afresh in Feb and draw a line under Jan!!
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £3757/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £513.64/£500
    • CherryPie
    • By CherryPie 26th Jan 11, 12:53 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 5,349 Thanks
    CherryPie
    Well tonight i have 3 of my old friends from school coming round for dinner. We take it in turn to go round each others houses every couple of months. As it's at my house i'm cooking the main meal, one of them will bring drinks and one will bring a starter and one will bring chocs for afterwards...so we are always very stuffed afterwards.

I'm sure all this sounds wonderful and cheap, which it is, but i don't like it as i feel i have to cook twice as i have to cook for my DD's and DH first...i'd much prefer to get a takeaway as it would be a real treat for me as we never have them because of money...but i think takeaways must be a regular thing for my old friends as they all seem to have loads of money.

Also, i've got to go and give our house a hoover and dust...it's the only time i get embarressed about my house when they come round, as their houses are all like show homes with all crockery matching etc....i'm lucky to find two plates without chips in let along matching lol.

Anyway, i need to pull myself together...Me and my DH chose for me to stay at home to be here for the girls after school and have 3 allotments, i am very lucky as we are a very close family and i wouldn't have it any other way.

The main meal i'm cooking tonight for a change is pizza, jacket potatoes, coleslaw and salad. I'll also put out my h/m beetroot, pickles and chuckneys to impress them. I never know what to cook as they don't eat spag bogs, currys or chilli's

Originally posted by kippers

I think this a fab idea that you all bring something. I do this with my friends too. It all works out in the end.

If these are real friends, they won't care if your plates match, if the carpet needs hoovering or theres a bit of dust around.

You are giving your girls the best start in life by being there as much as possible, and by teaching them that there are more important things than money. I used to love digging the garden with my Mum when I was young, then planting veggies, and nagging her every day to see if they were ready yet!

Your dinner sounds delicious, and I'd be proud of the h/m chutney's etc. As for the butter, i'd buy a nice one for the table you'll use it up anyway. Although I have just read the tip about using a ramekin or small dish and will def do this in the future!!

Me, I'm about to organise some "stuff pasta" for tonights dinner. You know, when you chuck in a bit of everything and it (hopefully) tastes lovely! I shouldn't have to spend anything for the next couple of days so will start my Feb budget on Friday - Payday

x
    Last edited by CherryPie; 26-01-2011 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Update!!
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - £46.73 / £100.00
  • gdyr1945
    Feeling hungry reading about the meals you are all having. Wonder if mothership wants a lodger? I love cooking but sometimes its 'what on earth are we going to have for dinner?' Not a lack of food just brain dead. I must have 50 cookery books and endless recipes torn out of magazines or printed off internet so shouldn't, in theory, have ANY problem.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

680Posts Today

6,198Users online

Martin's Twitter