Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 11th Jan 11, 11:57 AM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: RBS/Natwest fined 2.8m over poor complaint handling
    • 11th Jan 11, 11:57 AM
    MSE News: RBS/Natwest fined 2.8m over poor complaint handling 11th Jan 11 at 11:57 AM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"An FSA investigation found the sister banks responded inadequately to over half of complaints it reviewed ..."

Page 1
    • Alpine Star
    • By Alpine Star 11th Jan 11, 12:31 PM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    Alpine Star
    • 11th Jan 11, 12:31 PM
    • 11th Jan 11, 12:31 PM
    Wonder what they've got lined up for Santander?
    Originally posted by opinions4u
    Nothing but Lloyds are still in the frame.
    • Oldbiggles
    • By Oldbiggles 11th Jan 11, 12:47 PM
    • 472 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    Oldbiggles
    • 11th Jan 11, 12:47 PM
    • 11th Jan 11, 12:47 PM
    The hefty fine is probably not so hefty because the stock market price of RBS has gone up by 2.33% today. So it looks like Nat West got off lightly.

Trying to learn something new every day.

• chambta
    • By chambta 11th Jan 11, 6:00 PM
    • 2,739 Posts
    • 1,011 Thanks
    chambta
    • 11th Jan 11, 6:00 PM
    • 11th Jan 11, 6:00 PM
    A government department effectively then fining a state owned bank. Not sure how that helps.
  • smhg67
    • 11th Jan 11, 6:47 PM
    • 11th Jan 11, 6:47 PM
    Our quality manager today (subsidiary of a high st bank) was saying if a customer takes their complaint to the FOS, the company recieve an automatic 'charge' of 500. 'Great' you might think - after all they've probably messed you around to cause you to complain anyway, but.... who eventually ends up paying those charges - the customer I guess? The FOS must be raking in a serious fortune if 10% of complaints are taken to the FOS? Another Govt dept. making money from 'state owned' banks then....
    • saintscouple
    • By saintscouple 11th Jan 11, 7:09 PM
    • 3,934 Posts
    • 2,943 Thanks
    saintscouple
    • 11th Jan 11, 7:09 PM
    • 11th Jan 11, 7:09 PM
    I'm not surprised at this, as i phoned NatWest a few weeks ago - they were meant to change the address of our joint account, but only did my part and not my wifes, this was despite them telling us it had been done.
    My wife only found out when an order she had placed on play.com got refused.
    I spoke to supervisor at the contact centre who apologised and said she would look in to it.
    I asked if i would recieve something in writing as it was a complaint i was making, and she replied no it would be kept internal as it was a training issue.
    I stipulated i wanted to make an official complaint, for which she said i had done by talking to her on the phone, but she would credit our account with 20 for any inconvinance.
    This is the 2nd time they had credited our account with compensation, the 1st time was when they asked if we could go through an application on the phone to upgrade our step account, which we did, and was told we had been successful. After waiting 2 weeks we phone them and was told the application had been declined.
    Again we wanted to make a complaint, they called us back after listening to the phone call of the application and credited our account with 50.....again nothing recieved in writing.

Well yesterday we opened up an account with Lloyds TSB as amongst other things, they still haven't managed to change the address on my wifes card.
    • stclair
    • By stclair 11th Jan 11, 7:23 PM
    • 6,521 Posts
    • 3,459 Thanks
    stclair
    • 11th Jan 11, 7:23 PM
    • 11th Jan 11, 7:23 PM
    I'm not surprised at this, as i phoned NatWest a few weeks ago - they were meant to change the address of our joint account, but only did my part and not my wifes, this was despite them telling us it had been done.
    My wife only found out when an order she had placed on play.com got refused.
    I spoke to supervisor at the contact centre who apologised and said she would look in to it.
    I asked if i would recieve something in writing as it was a complaint i was making, and she replied no it would be kept internal as it was a training issue.
    I stipulated i wanted to make an official complaint, for which she said i had done by talking to her on the phone, but she would credit our account with 20 for any inconvinance.
    This is the 2nd time they had credited our account with compensation, the 1st time was when they asked if we could go through an application on the phone to upgrade our step account, which we did, and was told we had been successful. After waiting 2 weeks we phone them and was told the application had been declined.
    Again we wanted to make a complaint, they called us back after listening to the phone call of the application and credited our account with 50.....again nothing recieved in writing.

Well yesterday we opened up an account with Lloyds TSB as amongst other things, they still haven't managed to change the address on my wifes card.
    Originally posted by saintscouple
    If you have a joint account both of the account holders have to notify the change of address separately.

If you make an application and told your accepted that may the case at the time thats more of a system issue. However if AVU dig deeper into your application then it could then be subsequently declined.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
    • saintscouple
    • By saintscouple 11th Jan 11, 9:02 PM
    • 3,934 Posts
    • 2,943 Thanks
    saintscouple
    • 11th Jan 11, 9:02 PM
    • 11th Jan 11, 9:02 PM
    If you have a joint account both of the account holders have to notify the change of address separately.
    Originally posted by stclair
    Yes, but we were not told this. I phoned up to change our address stressing it was a joint account and was told all was done, takes 24 hours to update. Then called 2 days later to ensure all went through and again was told all was ok, they even confirmed my wifes details had changed.
    It was only we phoned to complain that my wife's card had been declined, and being put through to a supervisor, where we told that my wife's details hadn't changed, and we had to go in to any branch to get it changed.

If you make an application and told your accepted that may the case at the time thats more of a system issue. However if AVU dig deeper into your application then it could then be subsequently declined.
    The call was listened to by a supervisor, who called us back and was unable to explain why the person we spoke to said it was accepted. At the time even i was a little shocked with the decision, and asked if it was final, and was told yes we had definatly been accepted.
    • stclair
    • By stclair 11th Jan 11, 9:11 PM
    • 6,521 Posts
    • 3,459 Thanks
    stclair
    • 11th Jan 11, 9:11 PM
    • 11th Jan 11, 9:11 PM
    Yes, but we were not told this. I phoned up to change our address stressing it was a joint account and was told all was done, takes 24 hours to update. Then called 2 days later to ensure all went through and again was told all was ok, they even confirmed my wifes details had changed.
    It was only we phoned to complain that my wife's card had been declined, and being put through to a supervisor, where we told that my wife's details hadn't changed, and we had to go in to any branch to get it changed.

The call was listened to by a supervisor, who called us back and was unable to explain why the person we spoke to said it was accepted. At the time even i was a little shocked with the decision, and asked if it was final, and was told yes we had definatly been accepted.
    Originally posted by saintscouple
    This happens alot you wont be the last person itll happen too. Do a search for natwest AVU and youll see what I mean
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • zppp
    Our quality manager today (subsidiary of a high st bank) was saying if a customer takes their complaint to the FOS, the company recieve an automatic 'charge' of 500. 'Great' you might think - after all they've probably messed you around to cause you to complain anyway, but.... who eventually ends up paying those charges - the customer I guess? The FOS must be raking in a serious fortune if 10% of complaints are taken to the FOS? Another Govt dept. making money from 'state owned' banks then....
    Originally posted by smhg67
    This is not technically correct, as the charge only applies if the complaint is 'dismissed without consideration of it's merits'. This is where someone looks at the case at FOS, with the evidence and decides if there are merits that have not been considered satisfactorily by the firm.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/QG1.pdf (See page 2)
    Best Regards

zppp

• saintscouple
    • By saintscouple 11th Jan 11, 9:46 PM
    • 3,934 Posts
    • 2,943 Thanks
    saintscouple
    This happens alot you wont be the last person itll happen too. Do a search for natwest AVU and youll see what I mean
    Oh my! Fortunatley we didn't get as far as recieving anything about the new account. It was only our hopes that were dashed.

TBH, In the 7 years we have held our Step account we have only had the 2 problems mentioned, thus in the grander scheme of things we haven't been treated that bad. It's just disappointing that after all this time of running the account in credit with no charges, we haven't been given the opportunity to prove ourselves with a full current account. We have applied 3 times, each by telephone, and don't imagine the decision would change if we applied in branch.

BTW The in-branch experience that we have recieved has been excellent.

Even though we now have a Lloyds TSB Cash Account, we will keep the step account going, just incase the Lloyds TSB account doesn't run so well.
  • coolesticeking
    A government department effectively then fining a state owned bank. Not sure how that helps.
    Originally posted by chambta
    True! - Don't get how that works at all..
    David
    1 of debt is too much for me!
    • Milarky
    • By Milarky 12th Jan 11, 8:28 AM
    • 6,290 Posts
    • 2,209 Thanks
    Milarky
    Who runs Britain? [Hint: not the EU or the DM]

This is the equivalent of one state-backed organisation (FSA) taking in another's washing (Fine to RBS - now taxpayer owned)

Not naming the other banks just shows to me how 'bought' the FSA is and how - three years on from the crash which took place under its watch - it doesn't care who knows how bad it is at its job where promoting consumer rights is concerned. Of course if the 'job' of the FSA is merely to uphold the 'business as usual' model then it's done that masterfully - no 'complaints' there.

Then there's that other private sector solution to unhappy customers - the FOS. If I said the FSA was 'bought' I don't know where to begin describing how useful [not] they are.

Crass incompetence is very easy to lay at the door of RBS - and no doubt some of it does apply - but unlike the 'regulators' they actually run a business. And poo runs downhill, last I looked.
    .....under construction....
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 12th Jan 11, 8:42 AM
    • 98,332 Posts
    • 66,588 Thanks
    dunstonh
    The FOS is not a Govt dept. Its funded by the financial services firms regulated by the FSA.

This is not technically correct, as the charge only applies if the complaint is 'dismissed without consideration of it's merits'. This is where someone looks at the case at FOS, with the evidence and decides if there are merits that have not been considered satisfactorily by the firm.
    That is the theory but despite the high volume of frivolous complaints, the FOS still rarely applies that. It tends to be applied with trouble maker complaints who are putting in complaint after complaint thinking the FOS are charging the firm but in reality are not. I know a mortgage adviser that got charged 500 for a complaint about PPI. He had neither recommended or put in place a PPI. So, PPI didnt exist. It was a try-it-on complaint generated by a dodgy claims company. The complaint was obviously rejected. However, the claims company despite being told there was no PPI still took it to the FOS. You would think that would be a prime example where the 500 fee should not be charged. The FOS rejected the complaint as there was no case to answer but deemed it wasnt frivolous as the person complaining couldn't be expected to know what they did and didnt have! So, he still had to pay the 500.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • chambta
    • By chambta 12th Jan 11, 5:33 PM
    • 2,739 Posts
    • 1,011 Thanks
    chambta
    The thing is there's no issue per se with the service given by the bank, just the systems they have for tracking and dealing with complaints. How much should Santander be fined for their genuinely appalling levels of service?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,486Posts Today

6,254Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin