Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • Thefunkygibbons
    • By Thefunkygibbons 20th Oct 10, 8:48 AM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 758 Thanks
    Thefunkygibbons
    • 20th Oct 10, 8:48 AM
    • 20th Oct 10, 8:48 AM
    The key for me is only to buy bulk of things that you don't use more of just because it is in the house

I have a booker card, so I buy catering packs of essentials such as teabags, bleach, washing powder

All much cheaper than smaller packs
    • sablade
    • By sablade 20th Oct 10, 9:21 AM
    • 397 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    sablade
    • 20th Oct 10, 9:21 AM
    • 20th Oct 10, 9:21 AM
    if on offer or much cheaper I buy lots of toilet rolls, pasta, rice frozen meat
    If you dont ask for discount you don't get discount
    • ejsmith
    • By ejsmith 20th Oct 10, 9:29 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    ejsmith
    • 20th Oct 10, 9:29 AM
    Pet stuff
    • 20th Oct 10, 9:29 AM
    My dogs have Beta pet food and I always buy it when the large bags are 'buy 1 get second half price" at Pets at Home. When buying vet drugs online, not only do I look at generic drugs and different brands (eg I get Loxicom instead of metacam) I always buy the largest amount I can get at a time. Frontline, the anti-flea 'spot-on' stuff is expensive but other makes I've tried are either ineffective or have caused a nasty reaction. On ebay there are sellers from the USA selling it cheap because they buy in the largest pipette sizes (which are cheaper per ml than that sold for small/medium dogs) of Frontline then provide you with a syringe, storage container and dosage instructions - apparently this is common practice at dog shelters, vets etc. Yes, I know there are risks but they come sealed and I figure it's not profitable enough for people to sell fakes, yet. It's worked really well so far, but next time I'm going to check out whether I can 'cut out the middleman'. If anyone buys Pedigree dog food it used to be the case that if you had 3 or more dogs you could be lassed as a breeder and buy in bulk, at lower prices - not sure now. I've negotiated a deal with my local hardware store on boxes of pigs ears which work out a lot cheaper than buying them individually.BUT You do have to be disciplined and ration them because if you just use more it's not a saving and you'll end up with rather rotund pets! I learned this trick at uni, I persuaded a local shop to sell me crisps and chocolate by the box then sold them at a profit in halls of residence!

I'm looking forward to reading what everyone else has to say!

Elizabeth
    Last edited by Former MSE Lee; 22-10-2010 at 10:45 AM.
    • Candystore
    • By Candystore 20th Oct 10, 10:16 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    Candystore
    • 20th Oct 10, 10:16 AM
    • 20th Oct 10, 10:16 AM
    How much are you allowed to buy in bulk from supermarkets?

I always though there were limits, e.g 3 per customer
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 20th Oct 10, 10:20 AM
    • 7,485 Posts
    • 10,867 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 20th Oct 10, 10:20 AM
    • 20th Oct 10, 10:20 AM
    With the VAT going up I am planning to stock up on cat litter and Felix pouches

I find toiletries the best thing to buy in bulk. I always buy the same items when I see an offer, and as such have a stockpile and never pay full price
  • PlumD
    • 20th Oct 10, 11:04 AM
    Lynx
    • 20th Oct 10, 11:04 AM
    Lynx shower gel at Sainsburys is 1.11. Much cheaper even than Bookers wholesale - 6 for just over 12. So bargain buy!!!
  • spikedouglas
    • 20th Oct 10, 11:12 AM
    • 20th Oct 10, 11:12 AM
    I think for the individual, bulk buying doesn't save much. You only have to lose/damage/give away a couple of items to wipe out the savings. Of course there will be the odd exception, but you have to figure in storage costs, transport and so on as well. I'm sure that buying wisely when you need it probably trumps having cupboards stuffed with catering packs of coffee, 100's of toilet rolls and so on
    • Wings of Ambition
    • By Wings of Ambition 20th Oct 10, 12:52 PM
    • 1,662 Posts
    • 1,361 Thanks
    Wings of Ambition
    • 20th Oct 10, 12:52 PM
    • 20th Oct 10, 12:52 PM
    Asda did a pack of 6 shower gels for a fiver a while back. It's deals like that that I find best, as you can just chuck them in the cupboard until you need them.
    • jackdaw
    • By jackdaw 20th Oct 10, 1:35 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    jackdaw
    I think for the individual, bulk buying doesn't save much. You only have to lose/damage/give away a couple of items to wipe out the savings. Of course there will be the odd exception, but you have to figure in storage costs, transport and so on as well. I'm sure that buying wisely when you need it probably trumps having cupboards stuffed with catering packs of coffee, 100's of toilet rolls and so on
    Originally posted by spikedouglas
    Tend to agree from experience, plus I've found that I may have to give something up e.g. for health reasons or otherwise no longer can or want to use something. It can be easy to go overboard on this.

Some examples - being a smoker/drinker, bulk buying cigarettes/alcohol but then quitting, finding out you have an allergy or are intolerant to a food, deciding to do a diet that cuts out food e.g. GI cuts out refined and processed foods, etc.

Although I do bulk buying of, say, up to 10 rather than 100. Toilet paper, tins of tuna, tins of plum tomatoes, anti-perspirant, toothpaste, coffee and tea are the main ones. Basically, stuff that has a long shelf life.
    Last edited by jackdaw; 20-10-2010 at 1:47 PM.
    • Jennahead
    • By Jennahead 20th Oct 10, 2:13 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 260 Thanks
    Jennahead
    How much are you allowed to buy in bulk from supermarkets?

I always though there were limits, e.g 3 per customer
    Originally posted by Candystore
    I think that supermarkets have this rule in place just in case they need to use it. Does that make sense? They have it in place to spout at people if they need/want to. Most of the time they really don't bother though, I'm sure!
  • Trogglodyfae
    I also use Bookers for bulk buying and I find it makes sense to do this with a group of friends/family. We can buy things in larger quantities because they are shared out amongst the group, which also means you are not storing things excessively.

Pet food works out much cheaper as does toilet rolls etc. We also bulk buy the meat which we then either cut down into smaller joints, slice into individual steaks, or package into family sized portions.

Also works well with sacks of potatoes and carrots etc. Tinned items are reduced down to maybe 4 tins per household and so on. If you cannot find a group of friends I am sure that neighbours would be only too happy to join in, especially older neighbours as I know they appreciate their shopping brought to their door.

You have to be a business to get a cash and carry type card, however I am sure there are some friendly business people who do not mind lending their card out to friends and neighbours, I have two cards for my business, one of my friends looks after the second card for me so that he can benefit and also in case I either mislay my card or just cannot get out of work to get to the cash and carry. Bulk buying is the way forward and much more fun with friends
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 20th Oct 10, 2:51 PM
    • 7,485 Posts
    • 10,867 Thanks
    KxMx
    Also cleaning items, rarely pay full price and again I never run out.
    Last edited by Former MSE Lee; 22-10-2010 at 10:47 AM.
    • Rick's Bugs & Buses
    • By Rick's Bugs & Buses 20th Oct 10, 3:23 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rick's Bugs & Buses
    You have to be a business to get a cash and carry type card, however I am sure there are some friendly business people who do not mind lending their card out to friends and neighbours, I have two cards for my business, one of my friends looks after the second card for me so that he can benefit and also in case I either mislay my card or just cannot get out of work to get to the cash and carry. Bulk buying is the way forward and much more fun with friends
    Originally posted by Trogglodyfae
    There is another way to get a cash & carry card ... If you are a charity or club.
    I run the bar for my motorbike club and we have a Bookers card, so I buy my bulk saver bits while I'm there, but pay for them on a seperate bill, so there's no confusion when doing the bar accounts
  • merri-drake
    I tend to buy my clothes washing liquid when it is on offer and buy several at a time. I cannot remember the last time I paid full price.

Also, Lidl is selling 64 pack of Pampers wipes for 12 for 9 - well worth stocking up on as individual packs of wipes can cost up to 2.50 per pack! Also, my little one will need baby wipes for AGES yet!

I don't think that bulk buying everything is a good idea though - bulk buying an unusual new flavour of soup (for instance) then not liking it is not going to save money.

I do think it is mean when supermarket label a larger pack as great value, then when you look at the small print, the smaller size is better value for money.
    Debt as of 20th Aug 2009 -6600 and falling
  • merri-drake
    I do think it is mean when supermarket label a larger pack as great value, then when you look at the small print, the smaller size is better value for money.
    Originally posted by merri-drake
    Have just seen that the BBC One Show as just pointed this out too!
    Debt as of 20th Aug 2009 -6600 and falling
  • Trogglodyfae
    Rick's Bugs & Buses : Good point and yes I forgot about that as I have only been back here in the UK for a year. So you are getting where I am coming from

This is all good then
    Last edited by Trogglodyfae; 20-10-2010 at 8:20 PM. Reason: Oh no worries all is good :-)
    • natlie
    • By natlie 20th Oct 10, 9:51 PM
    • 1,201 Posts
    • 5,199 Thanks
    natlie
    Hi

I buy tea and coffee in bulk from ethical superstore I get a tin of Fairtrade coffee for a tenner 1000 teabags for 8 - I only buy Fairtrade. I love hot chocolate and it has to be cadburys to mix with milk I buy this in bulk as its much cheaper from online catering suppliers

I buy my flour in bulk from Dove Organics
    Nat
    Last edited by Former MSE Lee; 22-10-2010 at 10:46 AM.
    27328 26,728 26,668 26475.20
    • tenuissent
    • By tenuissent 21st Oct 10, 11:36 AM
    • 336 Posts
    • 570 Thanks
    tenuissent
    I have moved over to vinegar for most cleaning purposes, and for making flavoured vinegars, and I make chutneys and other vinegar-related foods. Chinese supermarkets sell enormous containers of all sorts of vinegars, and I use See Woo in Greenwich. I worked out at the time how incredibly cheap (pennies) it is compared to small bottles bought in normal supermarkets, but forget the details now. It is hard to handle in the big containers, but can be decanted into plastic milk bottles. At one time I bought flour in large sacks from various mills and kept it in plastic dustbins to protect it from mice, but found that flour mites were a nuisance.
    • mongmoney
    • By mongmoney 22nd Oct 10, 11:30 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    mongmoney
    bulk items
    I live with 3 hungry cats, so I always bulk buy their food from pets @ hm, online through quidco. Click and collect method is easiest and I still get the cashback from quidco.
    Most toiletries are bought when on offer, never ever pay full price for these,easily storables. Washing liquid, fabric conditioner, again always bulk. I have enough of the saino's offer stuff to last me well into 2012.
    With regard to friends- I always tell my friends with kids whenever I see a really good offer for them. Try not to give away stuff that you have bulk bought or the savings vanish in your generosity. However, I am guilty of this, especially when some friends really do struggle.
    Supermarkets are becoming more savvy and are putting large bags of rice and pasta on half price for us. Mr T is good for this. I currently have 5kg of rice and 5kg of pasta-not gonna starve over winter!
    Loo rolls used be one of my bulk items but now I use Farmfds Nicky, at 2 for 9, no supermarket can match it. Always milk from there too, cheapest anywhere.
    The greatest help for finding out about deals is on these forum pages. Other MSE'ers have helped me save a fortune and still have everything I want and need. My grocery budget has reduced from 250/mth to 160, and my freezer is full.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,629Posts Today

4,974Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin