We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Has anyone heard of Easy Talk

Options
I have been plagued with silent calls over the last few days and today finally I got to talk to someone. The only information is that the company is called Easy Talk and they wanted to talk to me about my telephone. I told them I was registered with the TPS and to take me off their database. Considering it was an Indian call centre and the number was withheld I have no faith that they are going to stop phoning me. I want to report them to the TPS but without any additionl information they won't be able to do anything.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• david39
    Options
    If the call comes from India then TPS will not be able to help you - they only have jurisdiction over calls originating in the UK.

The same applies to OFTEL (or whatever it might be called these days.)
  • I've heard of them before and all for the wrong reasons. Think they've been in trouble about this before - not sure but the name rings a bell (pardon the pun)

You can find their information through google - they're called eze-talk

Good luck!
  • No I haven't heard of them. I don't think its an English company.

Based in Crewe according to thier website...I am pretty sure it's the same company as this one has been known for using an off shore telesales outfit. In which case as the data is driven from a UK company, I am sure I read somewhere on here, they still have to follow the TPS rules.

Hope that helps.
  • david39 wrote: »
    If the call comes from India then TPS will not be able to help you - they only have jurisdiction over calls originating in the UK.

The same applies to OFTEL (or whatever it might be called these days.)

The tps don't just have jurisdication for UK calls. I got this information from their website. "Companies based abroad who call into the UK and who are making calls on behalf of a UK based company, must comply with UK regulations and screen their call lists against TPS before making an unsolicited sales and marketing call to a UK telephone number"
  • Sunshine29 wrote: »
    I've heard of them before and all for the wrong reasons. Think they've been in trouble about this before - not sure but the name rings a bell (pardon the pun)

You can find their information through google - they're called eze-talk

Good luck!

Thanks for this. I have googled them and they sound horrific. I have reported them to the tps.
  • tadpole74 wrote: »
    Thanks for this. I have googled them and they sound horrific. I have reported them to the tps.

As a separate issue, you can also report silent calls to Ofcom:

consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/telecoms/privacy/silent-call/
  • Sunshine29 wrote: »
    As a separate issue, you can also report silent calls to Ofcom:

consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/telecoms/privacy/silent-call/

i had thought about that but without a telephone number its hard to prove. The only proof I have is that they phone at about the same time each day. If I get another call, I'll phone my landline provider to see if they can trace the call.
  • tadpole74 wrote: »
    i had thought about that but without a telephone number its hard to prove. The only proof I have is that they phone at about the same time each day. If I get another call, I'll phone my landline provider to see if they can trace the call.

If they call again, ask them for a contact number as you'd like to talk to your partner first and call them back. It'll be quicker to get it out of them rather than your provider.
  • david39
    Options
    Reference : TPS having jurisdiction over calls emanating from abroad on behalf of UK companies.

They get round this by forming another independent company abroad who make the call on their own behalf - then they pass any leads on to supposedly the best UK company able to help the customer - of course, that's always their UK affiliate.

Enquiries to the UK company will produce a denial that they (the UK company) are making these calls - which is technically correct - and they usually follow this up with :

"We are getting loads of complaints about this, someone is using our name illegally. If you can give us the phone number, we will contact them ourselves and get our lawyers to have it stopped. Oh, by the way, what's your name, address, email address ........ bank account number...."

One such company runs a web page that you can log your complaints on as they are "building a database so that they have evidence to take legal action..." Of course, you have to include your full details!
    They are just a load of scam merchants and there are dozens of similar firms using the same loopholes.

What needs to be done is for the UK phone-service providers (BT etc.) to stop the calls before they reach us - it should be easy for them to sift out repetitive calls all from the same source, but it would probably need some form of legislation to force them to do it - and, of course, there are legitimate repetitive calls being made into the UK from foreign sources too.

Alternatively, you can filter the calls yourself by using one of those call-guard machines.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport