Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Sep 10, 10:37 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    October 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Sep 10, 10:37 AM
    October 2010 Grocery Challenge 25th Sep 10 at 10:37 AM
    Hello everyone!

Welcome to the tenth Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in the September 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great Moneysaving Month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 27-09-2010 at 9:32 PM.
Page 6
  • Hippeechiq
    also any recipes for a chick pea curry? i was thinking just tinned tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, onion & plenty of spices & herbs? never tried before,
    Originally posted by claire1234
    Re the washing powder, I've just started using £idl's Formil Liquid £2.29 for 28 washes. Been using their Bio one for OH's white shirts, and have just bought their Non Bio for all other washing, and so far it seems ok to me

I've got a Chickpea Curry Recipe although I've not got around to trying it yet. This serves 2

1 Tbs Oil
    ½ Large Onion (diced)
    1 Tbs Curry Powder (Medium or Mild depending on preference)
    ½ Tin (200g) Chopped Tomatoes & Garlic
    175G New Potatoes (boiled and cut into 1cm pieces)
    ½ Tin (200g) Chickpeas
    1 Tbs Lemon Juice
    1 Tbs Mango Chutney

Fry diced onion until soft
    Add curry powder and stir over a low heat from 1 minute
    Add tinned tomatoes and 25ml water - cover and simmer fro 10 mins
    Add potatoes, chickpeas and lemon juice and simmer, uncovered for a further 10 mins
    Stir in mango chutney & serve

My personal circumstances changed dramatically about two months ago (my marriage broke up!)......so my budget to spend on groceries is much less now.
    I know I could probably manage on less, but I still have good days and bad days and am not ready to do without the odd glass of wine and bar of chocolate.

Thank you
    Originally posted by Snowdonlily
    Snowdonlily Several of us have been there hun, you will come through it, but as you quite rightly say, wine and chocolate for comfort are a must ....or at least they were for me. Food management is the way to go in order to have enough for your treats.....actually, the correct word there is probably necessities, rather than treats, but you know what I mean

Maybe when you're having a slightly better day, try to plan a few meals, just start with one or 2 and see how you go. If you say use some bacon one day in a pasta dish, see if you can think what else you could use the rest of the bacon for instead of freezing it. It may even help to have your mind occupied, depending on whether you find you can focus on things at the moment - and I appreciate that maybe you can't.

You'll get nothing but support from everyone on here, so you've come to the right place
    Last edited by Hippeechiq; 29-09-2010 at 8:53 PM.
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • mrsbowie
    so glad to have stumbled on this thread, my shopping bills have gone throu the roof lately and I end up dipping into my personal spends to cover the bill.
    I do try batch cooking and using leftovers, more cash goes on pop for ds2 and proper meat for hubby, we don't tend to eat the same stuff. personally I could live dead cheap if it weren't for them lol! my usual budget is £200 every 4 weeks, but ends up being more like £280, I even work in a supermarket and 10% discount but it doesn't help much.
    There's me hubs ds2 and dog, ds1 at uni. I hope to share tips and gain some tips on here and bring the spends down.
    Thanks for the thread.
  • Hippeechiq
    Pasties sound yummy kezlou

I used to be good at making pastry, but I can't make a decent batch anymore to save my life

DSS pretty much only eats a particular brand of pizza and chips just about every day of the year. I know! It's but I've tried over the years to change his eating habits to no avail, and given that he's now 21, it's his choice. He's old enough to know what he wants.

DD has an illness and the medication she takes for it affects her appetite, sometimes she has one, sometimes she doesn't. And sometimes she craves certain foods for long periods of time. So it's impossible for me to plan meals for her.

Therefore I have to cook separate meals for them, which means all the meals I plan and cook are for two, which can be a real pain, as I have to halve most recipes I find, which is why it would be so much better if I could palate re-heated frozen meals
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
    • guccigoo
    • By guccigoo 29th Sep 10, 7:54 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    guccigoo
    hi everyone and a BIG welcome to all the newbies one word of advice if you dont succeed just keep trying and this is your own personal challenge, dont see it as a competition

Im starting my challenge tomorrow on payday through to 30th Oct.
    Im hoping tomorrow will be a nsd as im going to do my online shop for Friday

(((hugs))) to those that need them
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
    • kezlou
    • By kezlou 29th Sep 10, 8:28 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 43,067 Thanks
    kezlou
    Hippeechiq its really hard isn't it, coping with children needs and trying to keep everything together. My youngest is a nightmare, if i say to him were having pasta and sauce he will expect just that. If say i put bacon he screams an shouts because i didn't say i was putting it in.
    He on the autistic spectrum so everything is literal with him. He's does eat a variety of things now because i'm a mean mum and make him try new things.

I would just carry on doing what your doing and halving it. They is no point making double if you can't stomach it. I for one go by the saying food is there to be a pleasure not a hardship.

Snowdonlily you'll recieve planty of support on here love! We all need our wine and choocy! Especially me, thank goodness for sainsbugs 35p basic choccy bars!
    I
  • zarazara
    can i join in please? 3 adults 1 part time visitor adults and 2 cats. we'll try for £200,
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness"
    • huston_kw
    • By huston_kw 29th Sep 10, 8:36 PM
    • 551 Posts
    • 8,939 Thanks
    huston_kw
    Good evening all, I use to do the grocery challenge a while back, then we moved house which had to be re-decorated through out, new stuff etc etc so all our organisation went out and we haven't done a monthly budget since Feb as we were spending on things we normally didn't buy, and lack of time energy meant many more take aways and junk!

So for October I'd like to start again, me, oh, dd6 &ds4 for food, cleaning, toiletries etc etc can I put down a target of £150 this will include also the money for the butchers meat crimbo club!

Anyway off to rejoin flyladies as my !!! needs a good kicking!

• NickJW
    • By NickJW 29th Sep 10, 9:39 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    Doesn't it just! Which is all good

I've been meaning to ask......I think I'm probably alone in this, but am I the only one who doesn't batch cook main meals?

I don't not do it because I can't be bothered, I'm just not very keen on the taste of something that has been cooked, frozen, and then re-heated? I especially can't abide the taste of re-heated potatoes - bleurgh

With the exception of Shepherdess Pie (minus the mash) Cheese & Lentil Loaf and Onion Tart - which all contain no meat - I cook all my meals from scratch on the day I eat it.

This isn't a dig at those who do - I wish I could, it would make life a lot easier, but to me, meat never tastes right when it's been re-heated. I just wondered if I was alone in this?
    Originally posted by Hippeechiq
    I'm the same Hippiechiq! The only thing I freeze is uncooked meat, which is defrosted for a meal I choose to do on the day. It's not that I don't like the taste, it's just that I tend to like experimenting with different recipes and it's just as easy for me to defrost what I need when I need it...

Also, when I make too much, I find excuses for seconds (or thirds!) so I try not to cook too much. Occasionally leftovers will be for lunch the next day but that's as far I can go...
    Last edited by NickJW; 29-09-2010 at 9:43 PM.
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
  • JayJay14
    Had my first spend of the month last night at A$da and OH has been out to poundland today for some crisps.

I will be losing my gofer as of Monday though as after 8 months out of work we learned yesterday that he has at last been offered a job

It's opened ended temporary/might become permenant, but it means that we don't have to put our house on the market and lose our home - I just can't believe it really, it's just such a relief. He starts on Monday so I'm going to have to get a bit more organised as he won't be at home anymore to ring up and say 'can you get milk out of the freezer'.

So spends so far total £19.99 but will need a few bits tomorrow or Friday. Really need fruit but can't believe that A1di has none on the super 6.

Hope everyone has a good October.
    • brummiebabe
    • By brummiebabe 29th Sep 10, 10:07 PM
    • 1,868 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    brummiebabe
    Having failed miserably in September - I'm determined to stay on track this month!!

My target is £350 - have done a Morrisons shop today (which is working out much cheaper for me than Mr T's) and been to Home Bargains for loo rolls, tin foil/cling film and stuff for lunchboxes - total spend so far is £109.76!! Did also buy some saucepans at Morrisons - to replace a couple of mine which are WELL past their best!! Am stocked up with sugar, cereals, biscuits (all the essentials) Tea bags, washing powder/washing up liquid etc...so will hopefully just be buying food - and no extras for the next 4 weeks!!
    20p Saver Club #33 60p/£100
    Christmas Saving £0/£1300

Saving Target 2014 £25/£1000
  • youngmummy
    can i join
    hi all,
    can i join ..
    please could you put me down for £3400 = (£200 p/mth) (plus extra £200 each december) to last till january 2012 .. if thats ok
    that includes this year and next years xmas dinner
    cleaning products
    cat food ect
    good luck all
    Last edited by youngmummy; 30-09-2010 at 12:49 AM.
    (#80 save 12k in 2015) aim £10,000
    make £10 a day in 2015 £261/£4000
    emergency fund aim £100/£1000
    £1 a day for xmas 2015 £0/£365
    NSD feb 0/16
    feb GC £0/£120
    • elf06
    • By elf06 30th Sep 10, 6:51 AM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 15,140 Thanks
    elf06
    Wow everyone seems to be doing well just now. My Sept challenge finished on Tuesday but my October one wont start until tomorrow . This has resulted in forced NSD's . October may be tighter than I had expected but will leave my target at the same as planned however I am going to start trying to keep a tally of my NSD's.

Good luck everyone
    Emma

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
    • cw18
    • By cw18 30th Sep 10, 7:00 AM
    • 8,081 Posts
    • 86,080 Thanks
    cw18
    .....however I am going to start trying to keep a tally of my NSD's.

Good luck everyone
    Originally posted by elf06
    Why not come and join the NSD challenge?

I find the two work very well together, and we have some fantastic (virtual) nights out on there as well which make for great fun

Septembers thread is here if you want a quick read to get an idea of how mad friendly we all are, and the October one should be up later today when Spoon (aka Solventsoon) finds a gap in her busy schedule to get it up and running for us
    Cheryl
    • TizerCat
    • By TizerCat 30th Sep 10, 7:08 AM
    • 473 Posts
    • 1,903 Thanks
    TizerCat
    [QUOTE=JayJay14;37066408]Had my first spend of the month last night at A$da and OH has been out to poundland today for some crisps.

I will be losing my gofer as of Monday though as after 8 months out of work we learned yesterday that he has at last been offered a job

CONGRATULATIONS on your OH getting a job Jayjay14...lets hope its made permanent!
    Debt at LBM 27 Sept 2010 £40,640.17 Debt now £1700 on one credit card 0% and £4,000 on an Ikea kitchen 0%

Make £10 a day in Oct £235.88/£260 NSD's in OCT 1/15
    • elf06
    • By elf06 30th Sep 10, 7:09 AM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 15,140 Thanks
    elf06
    Why not come and join the NSD challenge?

I find the two work very well together, and we have some fantastic (virtual) nights out on there as well which make for great fun

Septembers thread is here if you want a quick read to get an idea of how mad friendly we all are, and the October one should be up later today when Spoon (aka Solventsoon) finds a gap in her busy schedule to get it up and running for us
    Originally posted by cw18
    Oh sounds good - will have a nosey at it later on today (I am trying to prise myself away from the computer and get in the shower right now ) hadnt realised there was a seperate NSD challenge. Thank you very much for that
    Emma

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
    • keza
    • By keza 30th Sep 10, 8:08 AM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 9,249 Thanks
    keza
    knew i shud have gone to a$da and not Mr T last night

calculated the bits for the xmas cakes/pud/mincemeat and our weekly shop to come to £35 no more.....in Mr T it came to over £60 oh the shame. not impressed. must try harder for the rest of the month!
    xxx
    Current Mortgage balance - £372006.55/£395,999.
    MBNA - £4,760.45
    Barclaycard - £2,932
    • Outdoorlass
    • By Outdoorlass 30th Sep 10, 8:26 AM
    • 307 Posts
    • 1,127 Thanks
    Outdoorlass

It's opened ended temporary/might become permenant, but it means that we don't have to put our house on the market and lose our home - I just can't believe it really, it's just such a relief. He starts on Monday so I'm going to have to get a bit more organised as he won't be at home anymore to ring up and say 'can you get milk out of the freezer'.
    Originally posted by JayJay14

Congratulations to you and your OH, must be such a relief for you
    grocery challenge Sept 2012 £21/£399
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 30th Sep 10, 8:41 AM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Phew, finally up to date with the October challenge and it's not the 1st yet! In case you didn't see it in the Sept challenge, please put me down for £375.00 for October Mrs M.

My month will run from 30th Sept to 28th October. Thanks.

Off to do the big monthly shop at Sainsbugs. I did the list on Mysupermarket to get a rough idea of cost and it came to £138! That's everything - food, cleaning materials and toiletries but no wine - well that will have to change! DD goes back to Germany on Saturday so cooking for two again (boohoo!) which will help with costs hopefully - hence the lower budget for this month.

Good luck everyone - especially to the newbies - and thanks to Mrs M, Pink and Rosieben for keeping us all in line.

Moniker
    • mongmoney
    • By mongmoney 30th Sep 10, 9:24 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    mongmoney
    Newbie success
    Thanks for running this thread peeps. I managed to come in under budget in september £160-30/£200. So please put me down for £160 for October.
    I need to batch cook this weekend. Going to try to fill the oven with at least 3 different batches at the same time to save energy. This, after I realised that I was in credit by £90 on my leccy, reduced the DD to even it out.
    Re: batch cooking, I found that I used certain meals first and left the spag bol, got two left. So this time I'm going to do more hearty meals, like stew etc. However, I have definately eaten better for it. Just a decision in the morning, got to be better than just chucking something processed in. I would definately recommend it. I never thought I would enjoy it as much as I am doing.
    Good luck everyone.
    Mongy
    Was hoping for my first NSD of the month today but the dog has got through his tins of food at an alarming rate this week. So will have to do an emergency trip to the expensive Mr S near work to get him enough to tide him over until big shop 2m eve grr.
    Mortgage£148,725 Student loan£13,050 HSBC loan£12,221
    AprGC:£/£320
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

878Posts Today

6,810Users online

Martin's Twitter