Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Sep 10, 10:37 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    October 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Sep 10, 10:37 AM
    October 2010 Grocery Challenge 25th Sep 10 at 10:37 AM
    Hello everyone!

Welcome to the tenth Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in the September 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great Moneysaving Month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 27-09-2010 at 9:32 PM.
Page 4
    • JulieGeorgiana
    • By JulieGeorgiana 28th Sep 10, 7:31 PM
    • 2,467 Posts
    • 12,987 Thanks
    JulieGeorgiana
    £260 this month please!!!

More then last month, but my budget varies drastically depending on the month!!!

I've already spend £73 of it.... and by the end of the week I will have spend over £200!!!! I am trying out a new thing this month... it's called not shopping during the month for anything but fruit!

We'll see if I stick to budget!!!!
    Last edited by JulieGeorgiana; 28-09-2010 at 8:05 PM.
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!

Mortgage Free Wannabe
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • holly44
    Please put me in at 260.00 for month I'm going to try to stick to budget xmas looming need to save some money

I feel a menu plan coming on
    Debt 25,000 /0.00 Paid off before I found this site .Lightbulb moment ,being refused consolidation loan .Took 4 yrs
    Mortgage 66,000/56,000
    Emergency Fund 2.00
    March Grocery Challenge 250/420. April 375.00
    3 Adults , 1 teenager 1 dog ,toiletries cleaning stuff.
    • CupOfChai
    • By CupOfChai 28th Sep 10, 8:06 PM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 7,295 Thanks
    CupOfChai
    Hello there! Undaunted by what can only be described as my EPIC FAIL, can I please be put down for £90 again in October? I will do it this time, I will! (I blummin' hope so, grrr!)

Thanks to MrsM, rosieben and Pink for the thread, and thanks to everyone who posts with such helpful advice and tips .
  • wssla00
    Evening all well.... after looking in the fridge, I made my own concotion..... A mushroom sauce for my steak and it was lovely!

Here's what I did:

Quick steak sauce:
    Slice up thinly four slices of panchetta (or streaky bacon) and fry it in some olive oil
    then add some sliced mushrooms and fry for a couple of minutes
    Add a quarter of a leek, thinly sliced and again let it fry for a minute
    Pour in a quarter pint of milk and let the whole lot boil
    Whilst it's boiling, add a half of a beef stock cube and salt and pepper to taste
    then reduce it until it looks creamy then pour over the steaks!

Very nice it was too
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • TheBees

Can we join again please?
    Please put us down for £380 for October.

We've been keeping track of grocery spending in September and it's way over £400.
    Back to menu planning, cooking double meals and staying away from the shops!

TheBees
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
  • welshkaz
    I started my new month last friday as it was pay day since then ive spent £61 on mrA online order,£3 in local shop on fruit etc and£7 today fruit bacon and veg so a £71 spend for me so far ... good luck for this month everyone x
    may groc challenge £167/£280...
  • hoobydoobydoo
    Please put me down for £320 again for October. It was a guess last month as it was the first time I had joined the GC, but this month we have half term to contend with and I will also start to get bits and pieces for December (you know what I mean!)

Hi everyone

I don't think I was too much over target though, just didn't keep a record for the last 2 weeks How does everyone else do it?

Must come on and post so that I can get a well deserved kick up the bum if I forget to keep tabs on spends.
    Originally posted by majjak
    I keep an envelope in my handbag and put the receipts straight into it at the till. I use the envelope to add up the totals and then update my signature when I remember!

Good luck everyone and thanks for the support on here
    Hooby
    MFiT-T2 #49 December 09 £15373, January 12 £0 target £0 by 12/12/12
    TARGET MET 11 months early - YIPPEE
    MFiT-T2 #50 August 11 £111,691.25, December 12 £96,699.20 target £99,999 by 12/12/12
    TARGET MET 3 months early - YIPPEE
    MFiT-T3 #49June 14 £76338.33 target £49999 by 12/12/15

• katycocoa
    I would like to try the GC again, with £180 starting 1st Oct. Have full cupboards and freezer so should not be too hard. I also want to get into making soup again which is cheap and filling, and good for the diet! Good luck everyone
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 29th Sep 10, 5:47 AM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,661 Thanks
    sistercas
    Originally Posted by majjak
    Hi everyone

I don't think I was too much over target though, just didn't keep a record for the last 2 weeks How does everyone else do it?

I have a magnetic clip on the fridge and as soon as i put my shopping away i slip the receipt into the clip and then record it onto my spreadsheet later (DH has been instructed to do the same )

had a NSD yesterday 1st one of 15 hopefully, was hoping for one today too but the milk we have is smelling slightly suspect
  • MancMillyMolly
    Please can I join in this month with £350. I'm very much back on the OS wagon after a few months off so need & I WILL stick to my budget this month!!!

MMM
    The 2012 mantra - "A place for everything, and everything in it's place"
    • monks
    • By monks 29th Sep 10, 8:31 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 1,411 Thanks
    monks
    First two days of gc have managed NSDs ,have to pay for school lunches today £10 ,so blown my good intentions. Cold wet day so going to make Hm soup for tonight and use up any old veg lurking. Lucky in that OH loves hm veggie soups and would eat it nearly every day. Booked online shop last night then cancelled it yet again ,already have enough in for next few days except wine .This challenge really makes me question what i actually need instead of what i think i need !!!
    Annual GC £3000- £1050

EF#176 - £1000/£1000
    Weight loss 2/10
    Clutter free challenge 465/2019
  • mum2b
    Please put me down for £225 for this month, Went over this month got a DD having a mahooosive growthspurt!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My month start 30/9 and ends 28/10
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 29th Sep 10, 9:21 AM
    • 2,295 Posts
    • 27,317 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Morning everybody,

Managed a NSD yesterday, which is a miracle. What helps is DS1 having a money-free canteen system which saves having to scrabble around for coins in the morning.

No work today (I'm a gardener) due to pants weather - electric hedge trimmer + rain = not a good idea. Unfortunately means I will not get paid but will spend the time tidying up our tip of a home and ironing - oh joy.

Just wondered whether there's a thread on here listing meal plans? I only seem to be able to do 5-7 days at a time before running out of inspiration. DH no help at all - just says Spag Bol and Sweet and Sour Pork whenever I ask him, men huh .

Have a good day all.
    Coxy
    xx
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Cross-stitch WIP #2: Pretty Little London by Satsuma Street
  • rosieben
    ... Just wondered whether there's a thread on here listing meal plans? ...
    Originally posted by Coxy11

We have a weekly Mealplans thread - here is the current one plus I did a quick search and brought up this list of previous weekly threads

and the Complete Menu Plans Collection

and a link from the front page recipe index - very useful article at Creative Organising - Ten Tips to Simplify Meal Planning

hth
    Last edited by rosieben; 29-09-2010 at 10:48 AM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • ~moneysavingnovice~
    I've decided that this month I'm going to keep a list of all the food we throw away, so I can make sure I'm really concentrating on minimising waste.

Nothing's been binned yet!
    Mortgage£148,725 Student loan£13,050 HSBC loan£12,221
    AprGC:£/£320
  • Long tall sally
    I have been to Aldi, Lidl, Sainsburys, Farm Foods, Iceland & The Co Op in the last few days and although I haven't added it all up yet I know that it is going to be quite a lot! Need to go to Farm Foods again today for milk & toilet rolls. I have bought quite a few bits for xmas already.

I need to try & find the time to do another meal plan as the last one that I did which was 10 days did work well except I lost the list & had to guess on the last two days!

Thanks to Pink-Winged, Mrs M and Rosieben for all their hard work. It is much appreciated.

Mrs M - can I try (AGAIN) for £450 for October please? (Well if I don't try, then I have no chance whatsoever of ever actually achieving it one day!)

thanks Longtall sally
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
    • cw18
    • By cw18 29th Sep 10, 11:02 AM
    • 8,045 Posts
    • 85,988 Thanks
    cw18
    I need to try & find the time to do another meal plan as the last one that I did which was 10 days did work well except I lost the list & had to guess on the last two days!
    Originally posted by Long tall sally
    Mine's all in (yet another) spreadsheet on my laptop - and currently runs up to the end of the year for breakfasts and evening meals (totally based on food I already have in other than veg). Lunches and suppers tend to depend on what I feel like on the day, what I've bought on Whoopsies, what hours I'm working, and how many calories I have available (which depend on exercise done as much as anything else). Snacks are also on my plan, but I really only stick the afternoon ones religiously (and those only on work days!)
    Cheryl
    • aussiemum
    • By aussiemum 29th Sep 10, 11:21 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 921 Thanks
    aussiemum
    Did my weekly supermarket shop today and spent $111.90, not too bad $20 cheaper than last week
    Still need to go to the butcher and grocer though
    Does anyone else shop weekly or do you shop when you need/run out of things ??
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 29th Sep 10, 12:10 PM
    • 5,523 Posts
    • 80,948 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Please can I join? I am going to start with £450 (I know, I know) but this is about 3/4 of what I normally spend.

I will include food, toiletries and cleaning products but not any christmas pressies that may fall in my trolley!
  • brodie1
    mess ups and joy!!!
    Hi all,
    to start with the mess ups. I brought a £5.00 chicken weighing a massive 2.5kg from sains, great bargin I thought. Had chicken veg and roasties on sunday, all fine and thought I would do my usual and make leftovers into chicken pie(in fact enough for chick lasagnes too)
    Made the pie and unusaully it was awful, the chicken just tasted of fat, couldnt be served up. That will teach me not to buy cheap mass produced chicken. If I get supermarket chick its usually co-op Elmwoods. We do have butcher here that also has a market stall and they sell there own chickens, must visit them again soon. The butcher also does 5lb for 6.99 of mince. Its all home produced.
    We had DS girlfriend here so had to go up the chippy for tea £10.00.
    I had spent morning for 3 and ahalf hrs in the next town whilst waiting for catrto be serviced ....... and I have a stinking cold
    Yesterday also picked dh up from work and went to farm foods got some oven chips and spring rolls as I was still feeling ill for quick meal. Found out they were the sort u deep fry, couldnt use them as havnt got one
    Today I am feeling loads better , baked the usual hobnobs and tried kezloos calzones.
    You are a star Kezloo
    My son 2 2 calzones I had one they are great. Just the sort of thing I was looking for for, DH packup and lunchtime snacks.
    YesterdaY i was feeling really fed up,ill etc but strange as it may sound I am motivated agin due toKezloos calzones
    Brodie1
    Brodie 1/ july 300/330.62August300/322.49
    September 300/239.78Oct300/258.50Nov 250/282.24 December 300/300.01 JAN 2011 300/288.72 . September 300/319.19, October 300/351.59Three adults, 1 dog and 1 cats and cleaning stuff, toiletries, beer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

64Posts Today

2,207Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin