Blue Badge

Options

Comments

• TheBottomLine_2
    Options
    I've got a blue badge, it was awarded due to my being registered blind and I get the lower rate of mobility. It is true that many disabled parking bays are not directly outisde the premises you are going to but they are situated differently. For example many are directly next to paved areas so you do not have to cross the car park in front of other cars, or in the case of a multi-storey they will usually be on the lower level. At my local supermarket there are some disabled bays quite far from the store but have a pathway all the way to the doors with no breaks for cars. The only thing making this difficult is ignorant and lazy shoppers who leave trolleys here.

One thing I might ask; I have little pain when I walk so distance is not really an issue, and I obviously do not drive so I am never alone when put in the car. Anyone think I shouldn't have a blue badge?
    Only 3% of those registered blind in the UK have zero vision.
  • idvi
    idvi Posts: 276 Forumite
    Options
    just thought i'd update,

spoke to the doc yesterday,he thought it would be unlikely i'd get it too but he is going to explain my problems to them when they contact him

so we'll see what happens!n :)
    2 esa medicals passed successfully (support group - it can be done!!)!! :j
  • pwales_2
    pwales_2 Posts: 523 Forumite
    Options
    this topic really bothers me so much it made me register to the forum....i am a wheelchair user spinal cord injury...i need a wide space to get my chair out without damaging the car next to me....i dont care how far away it is from anywhere ! these space are misused by people who can walk, i have been getting in to my chair dozens of time when it is tipping down with rain getting soaking then some blue badge holders pull up in there car and RUN!! to the shop so as no to get wet!!!!!!.. then spend ages walking around the shops with no issues...THE BLUE BADGE SCHEME IS CORUPT! it should only be for people who need wider spaces to get in and out of there vehical.......why are some people trying to be disabled !being disabled is horrible! i wish everyday i could walk !!!!!!!!!! i would rip up that blue badge in seconds!!!
  • guidarufino
    guidarufino Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    I totally agree that the whole system is hugely abused, and not just by people who don't have badges. Loads of people use blue badges that belong to other people, elderly relatives for instance, so they can park for free, closer to the door etc. I'm obviously talking about when that relative isn't with them. I'm not even disabled so it doesn't affect me but it does make me really cross when I see people doing this.

So, should I report someone who I know for a fact is abusing the system? I won't say who it is but I've seen him use what I believe to be his mother's BB so he can park directly outside the building in the centre of town with impugnity. Part of me thinks it's really petty to grass people up like that but part of me thinks he shouldn't be allowed to get away with it. My friend's dad is disabled and apparently often finds it hard to get a disabled space because of people abusing the system.

And just to kick off another bit of controversy, what do we think about those parent toddler spaces?... :rotfl:
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
  • pwales_2
    pwales_2 Posts: 523 Forumite
    Options
    I totally agree that the whole system is hugely abused, and not just by people who don't have badges. Loads of people use blue badges that belong to other people, elderly relatives for instance, so they can park for free, closer to the door etc. I'm obviously talking about when that relative isn't with them. I'm not even disabled so it doesn't affect me but it does make me really cross when I see people doing this.

So, should I report someone who I know for a fact is abusing the system? I won't say who it is but I've seen him use what I believe to be his mother's BB so he can park directly outside the building in the centre of town with impugnity. Part of me thinks it's really petty to grass people up like that but part of me thinks he shouldn't be allowed to get away with it. My friend's dad is disabled and apparently often finds it hard to get a disabled space because of people abusing the system.

And just to kick off another bit of controversy, what do we think about those parent toddler spaces?... :rotfl:

hi grass him up asap ...:D i might get a space then!!!:beer:
  • suesieque
    Options
    I know someone who fosters a girl who is supposed to have learning difficulties...they get DLA at the middle rate plus the blue badge because...`she can´t go anywhere on her own´ she does however take herself to school every day which entails a walk of approx half a mile and then getting the shool bus...journey reversed in the afternoon
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pwales wrote: »
    why are some people trying to be disabled !

There is? Where?
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • ash4becks
    ash4becks Posts: 589 Forumite
    Options
    Quote: Originally Posted by pwales viewpost.gif

There is? Where?

has to be said i would love nothing better to be skint with no problems never have to go to the doctors or hospitails all the time because i want to be a 24year old out clubing and painting the town and to have my life back , so please dont judge the odd few people that take the mick for people with problems iam sure theres more people with geuniue needs
  • cherub1965
    cherub1965 Posts: 8,470 Forumite
    edited 14 July 2010 at 12:38PM
    Options
    why only for people who need more space getting out of the car????i havent got a wheelchair but i have immense pain walking at the min.every case is different.i also would love to be able to rip my badge up and walk without pain.i went to tesco last night and there are about 30 bays there so you can always get a space but all the ones closer to the door were taken by non badge users.i am really struggling to walk at the min and it annoys me so much.i was in the car while OH was loading the shopping and 2 seperate cars pulled up and the people legged it into the shop as it was raining heavily.
    i would give anything to have my health and mobility back,i agree with you.soul destroying.hopefully i will in the near future.
    Shine on you crazy diamond..............
  • cherub1965
    cherub1965 Posts: 8,470 Forumite
    Options
    ash4becks wrote: »
    Quote: Originally Posted by pwales viewpost.gif

There is? Where?

has to be said i would love nothing better to be skint with no problems never have to go to the doctors or hospitails all the time because i want to be a 24year old out clubing and painting the town and to have my life back , so please dont judge the odd few people that take the mick for people with problems iam sure theres more people with geuniue needs

i agree.am 44 and only had problems last 4 years,had a full life,never in,out working,social life,etc etc.and people begrudge us a badge.i'd give mine up and the extra benefits in a heartbeat to get my life back on track.hopefully when i start new meds in oct i will be able to.and i certainly wont be using disabled bays even though am entitled.thats another thing,i would love to know why old people who park in these bays glare at me when i pull up because am 44,dont look it.as though i shouldnt have a space??
    Shine on you crazy diamond..............
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure