We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The Great 'spruce up your garden' Hunt

Former_MSE_Lee
Former_MSE_Lee Posts: 343 Forumite
edited 15 May 2014 at 5:00PM in Gardening
MSE Update 15 May 2014:

This Great Hunt was started in 2010 but it's evergreen.. or is it perennial?

----

British weather isn't always condusive with keeping your garden prim and proper, but with a potentially warm & sunny summer on the cards it may be time to get on your knees and get your garden into shape.

So we're looking for ideas to clean up and add some life to your gardens on the cheap. May it be through good value flowers, homemade outdoor furniture, economic use of garden waste, or even calling in Alan Titchmarsh's Ground Force to do the hard work for you.

Anyone with any thoughts or experience on the matter, please hit the reply button and share.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• aloiseb
    aloiseb Posts: 701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 May 2010 at 11:48AM
    My best ever flower buy was 2 years ago, in Lidl, about 1 week after their big flower/ garden stuff promotion. I bought 10 pansy plants which had gone "leggy", for 10p each. I planted them all in a big blue pot I already had and watered them a bit.

They - or their children - are still producing loads of flowers, right through most of the year as far as I can see. If I remember to deadhead them they'd probabl look even better, but i don't care that much - it's the focal point I need, to distract attention from the rest of the garden!

I think pansies are REALLY good value, and believe me if I can't kill them, nobody can.
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    more Lidl thumbs up
    bought a nice Fuchsia bush yesterday for £5.
    Also they have other plants including lavender on offer from tomorrow.
  • Optimisticpair
    Optimisticpair Posts: 632 Forumite
    edited 21 May 2010 at 11:49AM
    A good freebie is one that feeds your garden, improves the soil, gives plants the best chance to get established, keeps them healthier, and reduces the need for watering - Home made compost. Compost bins are sometimes given free or sold at reduced prices by county councils but you can also make one.
    No longer half of Optimisticpair

• Anneg
    Anneg Posts: 34 Forumite
    Yes, Lidl are a really good source for plants. You can sign up to their email to see what's coming up and get there early on the day if you see something you want as a lot of things sell out very quickly. I bought 2 standard fuchsias last week for £7.50 each - I got there at 8.50am and by lunchtime they had sold out. I know these will cost £15 plus in the garden centre. Also, it's worth signing up for Thompson and Morgan's emails as they have some very good offers in late spring/early summer. Plants at local summer fetes and charity stalls are far cheaper than in the shops. I bought herbs last Thursday on Leatherhead High St for 60p and supported one of our local charities at the same time. Much better than paying nearly £2 in the garden centre!
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,599 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 19 May 2010 at 9:16AM
    Busy Lizzies are some of the best annual flowers, i've had them bloom as late as October, and the colours are so vibrant. I think Thompson & Morgan has some on offer.
    Also Tesco complete weed killer is one of the best i've tried, not neccessarily fast acting but it does disentergrate the weed pretty efficently.
    Poundland is a great source for garden items, I got all my hanging baskets and mini fencing from there.
  • pookiewn
    pookiewn Posts: 471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If your freindly with your neigbours you might be able to get some cuttings or spare plants from them. My neighbour is amazing - not only a fountain of information and tips and tricks, but so far I've managed to to grab a honeysuckle, gogi berry, butchers bristle and might have some strawberries comming too!
    Supermarket herbs are usually quite cheap and do manage to keep going if you re pot them. Try the poundshops and wilko for plants and seeds.
    "Live each day as if it were your last and garden as though you will live forever"
    Anonymous
  • Purse_String
    Purse_String Posts: 124 Forumite
    My tips include buying plants from your local school fairs, usually cost about 50p -£1. I try to get perennials and build up the garden over the years.
    Another tip is about lawns. I think if you can keep the edges trimmed, it can still give the garden a 'cared for look ' if you are short of time to mow fully. Over the season, it might save a little on electricity or petrol. (Don't let the grass get too long though, I wouldn;t want to be responsible for the swearing and broken lawnmowers!) :eek:
  • Home bargains are selling wild flower/butterfly and bee flowers/yellow flowers in boxes just shake, sew, rake and water. Covers up to 50m2

£1.49
  • I keep an eye on the freebies section for my area on GumTree.
    Sometimes people are giving away old bricks, manure or left over turf.

CF
  • DillyD_2
    DillyD_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 21 May 2010 at 11:51AM
    When sprucing up my garden last year I spent a few trips out to look at water features.Not finding anything within my budget I almost gave up. However, on a visit to my local garden centre I spotted sizable pieces of broken grey slate paving on a reduction stand and I decided to buy around 6 large pieces. We stacked them on top of each other with smaller pieces and dark pebbles to steady them drilled a hole through them to allow a pump tube through (already having dug a hole with a bucket in below holding a small pump enabling a water resevoir) and hey presto a lovely gently cascading water feature for a fraction of the cost.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure