Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Aug 09, 2:51 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    October 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Aug 09, 2:51 PM
    October 2009 Grocery Challenge 25th Aug 09 at 2:51 PM
    Welcome to the October 2009 Grocery Challenge.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in the September 2009 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read post #5 on this thread.

For the Grocery Challenge recipe index please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great October and good luck to everyone who's taking part!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-09-2009 at 4:43 PM.
Page 39
  • brokemedic
    Just spent £22.97 for my weekly shopping - this includes lunches at uni. I haven't come to a final amount for October as I think I will need to buy some milk so I will post my final amount later. However, I would like to budget

£125 for November!!
    One debt in 100 days £384/1264(£865 left)
    Pay all your debt off by xmas 2014 £276/18864
    NSD 4 and 4 in a row
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 25th Oct 09, 12:28 PM
    • 6,147 Posts
    • 54,320 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Princess M - I buy the ham 'hocks' prepacked in our local Co-0p whenever I can get them. They are fine for freezing and cheap enough to buy 4 or 5 at a time whenever I can get them. I'm useless at slicing meat off them because I'm so fussy about fat but still manage to get enough to make a couple of meals from the one hock after making the lentil soup. This time I added butter beans along with the veggies, so it bulked it out even more.

Still trying to work out if staying within budget is a possibility this year but the list of what I'm running out of is getting longer. Ever hopeful though...
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
  • scotsaver
    Hi everyone - well I was fully recovered yesterday and hit the shops but stayed within my list and Budget.

Made a Chicken Tikka Masala last night, HM Onion Bahjis and a Tarka Dhal but it wasn't a total hit with the family. The Dhal and Bhajis recipes were from the Economy Gastronomy programme and the Chicken Tikka was a Gordon Ramsay recipe. Will have a look on here for alternatives as these are dishes that I know the family normally like when bought from a Takeaway so it was probably down to a bad choice of Recipe, hopefully not down to my cooking.

Dinner tonight is Roast Lamb and all the trimmings. Must get into the Kitchen and get some cookies/cakes made so that we are well stocked for the Half Term holiday this week.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• rosieben
    ... this is the first month in the past year that I have had money left over at the end of the month.
    Originally posted by Ninno820
    we should celebrate our successes!
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • mothershipton
    • By mothershipton 25th Oct 09, 2:06 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 2,692 Thanks
    mothershipton
    so far this month £226 this is good because husband has not been in tesco for some time
    Grocery Challenge Feb 16 £346 /400
    • mrssnowy
    • By mrssnowy 25th Oct 09, 3:12 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    mrssnowy
    Hello all
    Been missing for a while,due to ...holiday ,work,weekends away,work,course on family planning,fundraisng,WI,work,glut of fruit and veg which led to chutney marathonoh still being OS but lost count of spends.
    After advice please.
    I will be making about 12 Christmas puds soon(fundraising again)don't mind the making but the steaming drives me mad and takes forever.Borrow Mums PC,use my PC and SC-but only 2 puds in each at a time-any suggestions ? Apart from buy them from Aldis.

mrss
    Last edited by mrssnowy; 25-10-2009 at 9:11 PM. Reason: oops, lost a comma
    You can't stay young for ever,but you can be immature for the rest of your life.
  • Emma285
    Is it too late to join for this month?

I'm budgeting for a £160 spend this month - first month i've kept track of things and we're upto £150 with only veg / milk/ bread to get next week! There's 2 of us plus baby.
  • helen jelly
    Ninno820 - well done
    Scotsaver - I love HM Indian and Takeaway but the taste between the 2 is vast, yours probably tastes far better!! but the family are just not used to it maybe
    Emma285 - Hi and welcome, check out the recipes on page 1 and please ask any old question, there are lots of really helpful people on here who will give you any help you need, is your budget of £160 for Oct or Nov.

Budgets done up to and including brokemedic - thanks everyone
    Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
  • elizabunny
    Hello everyone,
    Still managing to struggle around in the kitchen, so I made a huge pot of leek and lentil soup today, with a sort of oriental theme, using veggies from the garden.
    3 garden leeks
    Handful of garden baby carrots
    Handful of garden french beans
    A few garden peas
    1 garden parsnip
    1 stick of celery
    1 cup cooked red lentils
    Half cup uncooked long grain rice
    About 3 pints Chicken stock/Water
    Mixed garden herbs to taste
    1 Teaspoon Five Spice
    Salt & Pepper seasoning
    I chopped everything up and put it into a large pan with the stock and brought it to the boil and simmered for about 45 mins until thickened. Lastly I added the chopped herbs and seasoning. Think this might be nice with some cheesy croutons. Haven't tried it properly yet.
    Sorry my recipes are a bit vague, I'm a bit of a 'chuck anything in' person.
    My NSD yesterday actually cost me £3.89 I needed Detergent, Plain Flour and 6 Eggs -oh well..........
    Have a good evening everyone!

Footnote: Mmm yummy soup.
    Last edited by elizabunny; 25-10-2009 at 5:32 PM. Reason: Added footnote
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • rosieben
    ... Mmm yummy soup.
    Originally posted by elizabunny
    Thanks elizabunny, yummy soup recipe now in the index and also on my meal plan for next week.

glad to hear you're feeling a little better but please take care of yourself

• candygirl
    • By candygirl 25th Oct 09, 6:10 PM
    • 27,389 Posts
    • 116,512 Thanks
    candygirl
    Had another NSD today, mainly due to a massive hangover after last night's party
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • milliemonster
    • By milliemonster 25th Oct 09, 6:31 PM
    • 3,619 Posts
    • 6,269 Thanks
    milliemonster
    Well we have overspent this momnth, Octobers total bill has come to £369 having said that, 2 halloween outfits are included in that plus a few bottles of wine/Baileys/beer lol! so I am very happy.

Next month I want it to be £300 max, now that's going to be a challenge!!!
    Aug GC £63.23/£200, Total Savings £0
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 25th Oct 09, 7:18 PM
    • 3,341 Posts
    • 34,424 Thanks
    XSpender
    Further to the comments earlier and yesterday about failure I have been doing the GC since October last year and have not once hit the target I set myself. However, I now make much more food from scatch, meal plan and have reduced my spends significantly and I no longer throw out at least one carrier bag of stuff every week like I used to do.

Got back in the swing of things this weekend and used up a lot of stuff in the stores to make 6 portions of chilli, ginger cake, choc chip cookies and tomato and parmesan bead in the BM. First time I have used the BM in months!

Did spend a fiver in the chippy last night as hadn't planned what we were having for tea.

XS.
    • JayneC
    • By JayneC 25th Oct 09, 7:44 PM
    • 911 Posts
    • 10,929 Thanks
    JayneC
    Hi all,

Not posted for a while but have popped on for a peek now and then. Been a mad few months. DS1 has gone back to uni but DD2 has returned home with her little boy as she split up with her partner, so lose one and got two!!

I've tried to keep to my £250 per month and seem to have come in under budget this month according to my record (tho they may be wrong, lol) at £205, so well pleased.My month has now ended and I'm into Nov now so will set £250 again for Nov. Need to get back into meal planning, been a bit rubbish lately - well I paln but then can't be bothered to cook! Need some simpler recipes methinks!

Anyway enough of my ramblings will try to post more often,

Jayne x
    Official DFW nerd - 282 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z member # 56
  • Julimk
    I havenít had any further GC spends since did the big shop on Thursday & hoping to keep it that way for as long as possible. DD isnít here this week, so I donít mind using up bits & bobs & having odd combinations.

Today I used 750g of pork mince, 750g of beef mince & 200g of soya mince (dry & reconstituted) to cook up a huge batch of mince & onions & then into cottage pie, bolognaise sauce & chilli con carne; so 24 individual meal portions to add to my stocks.

Tomorrow I am working at home & will make some quiche & pate for lunches. Will also have to reorganise the freezers, again, to try & squeeze everything in!
    • workhard50
    • By workhard50 25th Oct 09, 8:21 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    workhard50
    hi all i declared £400 for 5 weeks of october and i am delighted that i came in at 402.22 i know its over but its my first attempt. We were spending £120 a week but im determined not to spend more than £80 so please can i declare £320 for november.
  • rosieben
    I spent lots of money today, but on carpets and thankfully that doesn't come from my GC budget

I'm moving in a couple of weeks; I'll have a huge kitchen plus a store-room, ie loads of room to stockpile toilet rolls . I'm buying a new upright freezer and I woke during the night (yes, really, how sad is that! :rolleyes with the thought that there's plenty of room so why not keep my small chest freezer as well ....

My current kitchen is so damp I've had to move all my food to shelves on the landing - mouldy flour anyone? When I walked into the new kitchen for the first time I cried and there are so many drawers and cupboards I'll never be able to find anything again

so no shopping for me at all this week, I'm using up freezer and store cupboard stocks; redoing my meal plans for the next 2 or 3 weeks, might be some strange combinations

• BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 26th Oct 09, 7:29 AM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    Aw Rosie--half your luck with the storage! My kitchen permanently looks like one of those aid stations where everything has just been delivered & needs sorting before distribution There are plans a-foot to create some new cupboard space but the floor definitely needs seeing to first & of course, the biggest hurdle is having the moola to do it all with
    My spends look nasty but I can genuinely say--hand on heart--that a significant portion of it was out of my control. Me sista organised a surprise b'day for me muvva & told me what my contribution would be, but as it was a bit last minute I didn't have chance to spread the cost And I've done a bit more shopping for ...Wilkos have their chocolate coins on BOGOF @ 97p.
    It seems as though the boxes of bicarb & borax are no longer available in MrT or Wilko, so has anyone seen them anywhere else please? I'm [hopefully] going to a mid-sized MrA later in the week so could pick some up there...
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• Emma285
    Ninno820 - well done
    Scotsaver - I love HM Indian and Takeaway but the taste between the 2 is vast, yours probably tastes far better!! but the family are just not used to it maybe
    Emma285 - Hi and welcome, check out the recipes on page 1 and please ask any old question, there are lots of really helpful people on here who will give you any help you need, is your budget of £160 for Oct or Nov.

Budgets done up to and including brokemedic - thanks everyone
    Helen x
    Originally posted by helen jelly
    Thanks for welcome. My budget is £160 for October, hoping to reduce it slightly to £140 for Nov
    Last edited by Emma285; 26-10-2009 at 8:17 AM. Reason: Forgot Red
    • tootoo
    • By tootoo 26th Oct 09, 11:44 AM
    • 671 Posts
    • 3,044 Thanks
    tootoo
    Hello,
    Please could I join the November GC?
    I've been lurking for a while but still think I'm spending more than I need to!
    I'd like to aim for £200.00 for November please.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

322Posts Today

5,589Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Snap post #BBCOurNextPM poll: Who do you think did best. (I had to have two in one category, so I picked randoml? https://t.co/gYTNBBn3SP

• Emily Maitliss being v mean to Boris using his own past quotes against him on Heathrow, having an election when lea? https://t.co/4baNAlmMid

• Wow - impressive performance from the 15 year old climate change activist. Not sure I'd have had such confidence when still at school.

• Follow Martin