🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Standard Life Endowments

Options
Hello,

We have three endowments with SL. On doing my monthly check yesterday on line to verify the value of these polices I noticed that they had plummeted by about £4K. They had continued to rise, slowly, prior to this.These policies no longer form the basis for any mortgage repayment.

I have contacted SL but as yet have not had a reply, but have since found this article:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/money/investment/article5038213.ece

Can they do this without prior notification? :mad: If they had (sent out prior warning) I would have surrendered the polices & re-invested in a high interest account. Is this legal ? Is there any mileage in contacting the financial ombudsman ? :confused:

Our policies are:

Minimum cost plan (80) = 8,573.85

Homeplan = 5,491.71

Homeplan = 7,886.94

Due to mature between 2015 & 2016

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Options
    J_P_D wrote: »
    Can they do this without prior notification? :mad:

'Fraid so. They did it before in 2002, did you not notice?
    If they had (sent out prior warning) I would have surrendered the polices & re-invested in a high interest account.

Of course you would, so that's why they don't warn you in advance, as the idea is you don't take out more than your share of the fund.
    Is this legal ? Is there any mileage in contacting the financial ombudsman ? :confused:

Yes and no. It's part of the "With profits (and losses)" investment system.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • Gorgeous_George
    Options
    The danger now is that you think that will be the last cut and that things can only improve. You may be right of course - but I doubt it. That is why I canned my policy in July.

It's a lot less stressful having the money in my control.

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • hum240
    hum240 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    done an on line check with mine

final bonus 28/10/08 £1500

final bonus 30/10/08 -£42.56

:mad: :mad: :mad:
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You cannot have a negative final bonus. Its minimum is zero.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Gorgeous_George
    Options
    I'd check it tomorrow. I believe the update is only finalised overnight tonight. IIRC I had similar fluctuations at the end of the month last January - ish.

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • hum240
    hum240 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    was -£42.56 yesterday

up to £98.15 today

was going to cash it in still don"t know what to do with it as it has lost £1400 this week
    any ideas when it will make up ??
  • Josepina
    Josepina Posts: 112 Forumite
    Options
    So glad I cashed mine in on 14th Oct.
    Whoever invented endowments should be shot imo!
  • The_Unready
    Options
    Hi,

I've got a Standard Life WP Endowment, but I wasn't aware of a facility to check its progress on-line.

Can some kind soul please post a link?

Thanks.
  • Gorgeous_George
    Options
    Hi,

I've got a Standard Life WP Endowment, but I wasn't aware of a facility to check its progress on-line.

Can some kind soul please post a link?

Thanks.

See Post No 12 here

GG
  • Jasoncook_2
    Options
    Hi all i am in the same boat £1400 in a day. Can the value go any lower or do they have to stick to the previous value. I am getting offered about £200 over surrender to sell it but if it aint going down i may sit on it .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport