We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Should I Pay Off My Student Loan? 2008/09 article discussion

Options

Comments

• steiner_2
    Options
    No i'm still under the threshold but because i never told them this (i wasn't aware i had too)the student loan company has passed the debt to a company called credit solutions...they want me to pay £200 a month. The student loan company are now saying this nothing to do with them. To pay £200 a month completely out of the blue is a big shock particulalry with two young kids and prices for food going the way they are.
  • Gemmzie
    Gemmzie Posts: 14,876 Forumite
    Options
    Question for a friend. Started 2007 so new loan system, going into their 2nd year in a couple of weeks. They already earn around £15k so should they be paying off their loan already? Or does it wait until the end of the course?
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • Chris2685
    Chris2685 Posts: 1,212 Forumite
    Options
    Repayments don't start until April the year after your course ends.

For example, mine Ended this year, 2008. I will start paying my loan back in April 2009.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    steiner wrote: »
    Hi

I'll start off with a background story

Went to Uni for 5 months in 1995
    had a bit of a bad time in the mid 1990's
    settled down small family mortgate etc etc
    totally forgot about the £1000 student loan but was vaguley aware i didn't need to worry because i was not earning enough to go over the threshold.

Today letter arrives from collection agency for my student loan.
    Student loan company have said to me when i phoned them this morning, that I should have declared back in 2002 what my wages are. I explained I wasn't aware of this because i had not recieved any corrospondants
    and they said I should of informed them of moving address and that it was my own responsibiltiy. They said their was nothing I could do and that i was stuck with the £1900 debt even if I was still under the threshold for actually repaying it.
    I feel really annoyed because I would of dealt with this in 2002 if a letter had arrived.
    If anyone can offer any advice it would be really appreciated.

You can try to make an arrangement with them but as you haven't deferred you are now in arrears and the normal rules for repayment don't apply. It was your responsibility to notify them of changes of address so that the deferrment forms could be sent out. Sorry.
  • jgn_1982
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful posts on here - they have definitely made things much clearer.

One thing I find frustrating is that I was on 19k in my first job out of uni for around 2 years. In those two years I paid £40 a month and was shocked when my SLC statement came through and for both years the £40 payment has not covered the interest and my student loan is actually getting bigger by £200 a year despite paying £500 in - my loan is around £12k. Words cannot express how frustrating that is !! Has anyone else experienced this as at first I was convinced it must be a mistake ?

I have since got a new job and pay £67 a month, on rough workings my debt will now decrease around £200 a year give or take on interest.
    Basically I have to accept that for the rest of my life I will be paying 9% of my wage over £15k - I accept I have benefited from the money but I think there must be a more reasonable way of repaying student loans. My advise to anyone from a financial standpoint would be just go to uni nearest home and live there - it is never explained to you what a financial burden a student loan is until your out and you have to face the reality of it.
  • Chris2685
    Chris2685 Posts: 1,212 Forumite
    Options
    You can always contact them and ask them if you can repay more, or a lump sum as and when you can. This would reduce your loan amount, and reduce the amount of interest charged.
  • jgn_1982
    Options
    Thanks for your advice - but think I would rather just stay as I am for the rest of my life
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    jgn_1982 wrote: »

Basically I have to accept that for the rest of my life I will be paying 9% of my wage over £15k - I accept I have benefited from the money but I think there must be a more reasonable way of repaying student loans. .

What would you suggest?
  • The_One_Who
    The_One_Who Posts: 2,418 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jgn_1982 wrote: »
    it is never explained to you what a financial burden a student loan is until your out and you have to face the reality of it.

Yes it is. The terms and conditions of the loan are there for you to read.
  • jgn_1982
    Options
    Well I dont think its right that the loan increases post uni for students who earn above £15k but dont earn enough to cover the interest so you are paying each month but the total owed increases.
    For instance someone who was to earn 19k for their life - perhaps they do some kind of voluntary work that gives them greater satisfaction than chasing money - would pay £800 a year and but by the time they retire the 12k debt is probably over 30k

I think once you earn over 15k you should begin paying it off interest free and do so until your salary reaches the point where the 9% above 15k covers the interest charges and starts to make a small dent in the loan (guess this would be around 22-23k).

And I know as already mentioned you can increase payments but who earning 15k a year can afford to volunteer away more of their money !!!

Im sure the above will get pulled to pieces, im no financial expert, but I just think there must be a better way of doing things - and their are smarter ppl to decide how than me.
    At the end of the day we should be encouraging people to go to uni and making the loan repayments as friendly as possible - it is after all supposed to be a long term investment into the economy.
    For one thing a good starting point will be a better level of communication between the students - I feel lead up the garden path with regards to my loan but then I guess it was my responsibility in the first place to look more into it so i am partly to blame.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport