Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    overdrawn
    is home baking cheaper?
    • 5th Dec 05, 12:02 AM
    is home baking cheaper? 5th Dec 05 at 12:02 AM
    hi i am a mum of 5 hungry kids !!
    i have just realised that i am spending on average 30 a month on puddings for after tea. i'd like to bake some home made cakes but am not a good cook and would like to know if it would really work out cheaper and what quantities i would need to use for 6 of us.
    hope someone can help
    many thanks,
    louise
    P.S i am in debt by about 4500 and on income support so need to change this but without starving my kids!!!!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 05-12-2005 at 9:48 AM.
Page 1
  • SkippyB
    • 5th Dec 05, 3:44 AM
    • 5th Dec 05, 3:44 AM
    Try Carrot Cake....very inexpensive but very filling, can have it with custard, ice cream or make your own buttercream. A good way fo getting kids to eat heathily without knowing it!!

There are loads of different recipes, dont have mine to hand at the moment but is a WI one.

Baking is also good fun for the kids to do themselves, there are plenty of basic recipes that you can involve them with and they even get to lick the bowl/spoon after.

I never buy cakes, always make them as i think they taste so much better!

Have a go......dont be afraid to cook!
  • apple_mint
    • 5th Dec 05, 5:30 AM
    • 5th Dec 05, 5:30 AM
    Definately cheaper and healthier to bake your own. None of the additives in home baked. However, they will go faster as everyone seems to love them.

I use the cheap 'value' range flours - 27p for plain or self raising from the supermarkets (Tesco / Asda) and they have never failed to make a good cake or bun.

If you can afford it, invest in the BeRo baking book (1.25) ... lots of good advice as well as recipes. In addition, the OS recipe list has lots of well tried recipes

Try to build up your ingredients a little each week - so that you have a good store cupboard of basic ingredients for baking. I find buns (victoria sandwich recipe) a good one for kids.

http://www.be-ro.com/recipe/showrec.asp?rec=78

Just put the same mixture into bun cases in 12 bun tray (and you'll probably find it stretches further than 12) and bake for 15-18 mins (depends on your oven).
    • Becles
    • By Becles 5th Dec 05, 7:59 AM
    • 12,864 Posts
    • 26,180 Thanks
    Becles
    • 5th Dec 05, 7:59 AM
    • 5th Dec 05, 7:59 AM
    Don't have puddings every day - it's cheaper! I've got 2 boys and we rarely have a pudding - just a main course.

If you can get "reduced to clear" fruit, you can make a really cheap fruit crumble. It doesn't matter if the fruit is a bit squishy as you're cooking it.

Peel and chop fruit and place in a oven proof dish. Add a 1-2 tablespoons of sugar depending on your taste and the sweetness of the fruit.

In another bowl, put 6oz plain flower, 4oz butter/marg, and 2oz sugar. Rub it all together until it looks like breadcrumbs.

Put that mixture on top of the fruit and put it in a 180C oven for about 30-40 minutes.

Mine eat it on it's own, or sometimes with custard or ice cream.
    Here I go again on my own....
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 5th Dec 05, 8:55 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 5th Dec 05, 8:55 AM
    • 5th Dec 05, 8:55 AM
    There's an old challenge thread that covers main courses which might also help you out here...

Feed 6 for 1.62
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • wendyl1967
    • By wendyl1967 5th Dec 05, 9:00 AM
    • 313 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    wendyl1967
    • 5th Dec 05, 9:00 AM
    bero book
    • 5th Dec 05, 9:00 AM
    I have my grandmas original be-ro book from the 50's. The recipes in the new one are virtually the same. It is a great little book.

It you do not feel confident baking, supermarkets have cake mixes for about 12p. (plus an egg needed) You will get twelve buns for that. Maybe try that at first until your confidence builds up.

Wendy
  • Sarahsaver
    • 5th Dec 05, 9:01 AM
    • 5th Dec 05, 9:01 AM
    OMG do you have a pudding after every meal?
    It is cheaper to home bake, i made a chocolate fridge cake, which if u bought it in a cafe it would often be 1 a slice. I made 10 portions. Jelly is cheap, as is economy custard in tins, and steamed pudding is a doddle. There's always fruit, we tend to have fruit after a meal most days. Pancakes are cheap too, and you can use butteres stale bread broken into pieces as a substitute for crumble topping.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • black-saturn
    • 5th Dec 05, 9:18 AM
    • 5th Dec 05, 9:18 AM
    A boil cake is really cheap and even cheaper if you substitute some ingredients for others like brown sugar for granulated sugar. Try making home made yoghurt or a suet pudding in a saucepan.
  • lily the pink
    • 5th Dec 05, 9:46 AM
    • 5th Dec 05, 9:46 AM
    bread and butter pudding is a good way of using up stale white bread - good for breakfast the next morning too.

Recipie here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/breadandbutterpuddin_1023.shtmlno need to pre-soak sultanas (raisins work fine too).

I would usually soak for a lot longer than 30 minutes and I have never made with cream or lemon rind. I sometimes add a bit of vanilla extract or cinnamon.
    • Trow
    • By Trow 5th Dec 05, 9:50 AM
    • 2,264 Posts
    • 2,597 Thanks
    Trow
    If you look in the recipe index, someone - curry_queen??? has a recipe for a microwave sponge pudding that is very easy, very quick and very cheap (especially is you use value flour) - we made it last night, served with custard (made with birds eye powder, works out cheaper than instant mixes, but not sure about how it compares with value tins) - pud in 10 mins max
  • Edinburghlass
    I was brought up "old style" and we had a three course dinner every night.

Pudding was usually a milk pudding and my favourite was always chocolate pudding, basically a custard with cocoa powder added so not too fattening and not as heavy as cake
    • chickadee
    • By chickadee 5th Dec 05, 10:52 AM
    • 1,431 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    chickadee
    We always had puddings too, although my family was far from well off. We had rice pudding which I always remember having a skin on top. Also we had home made custard pie (delicious!) You can also make jelly with fruit so the children also get some fresh fruit. Fruit flans made with cheapo sponge flan cases are easy and look impressive too. If you like cakes, gingerbread is easy and can be used warm with custard or cold as a cake. If you have left-over pastry (or make a little more than you need deliberately), roll it out, spread the middle with currants or sultanas, sprinkle with sugar, fold the edges in and wet them to seal the fruit in, then roll it out gently. Bake to make a Chorley cake, or fly pie as I called it when I was young. I love this.

Hope there are some ideas there for you.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #8 341.90
    Sealed Pot Challenge #9 162.98
    Sealed Pot Challenge #10 33.10
    Sealed Pot Challenge #11 Member #36
    • moggins
    • By moggins 5th Dec 05, 11:04 AM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    Yep, I do the microwave sponge pudding too, costs pennies to make and 6 minutes to bake in the microwave - how easy is that? Got to have custard with it though
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at 250
    • Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 5th Dec 05, 11:08 AM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    Cheap puddings that are easy to bake:

Rice pudding - I use 4pints milk for six of us but we're greedy
    Bread and butter pudding
    Apple crumble
    Chocolate brownies
    Home made yogurt

Generally, baking is easier with plain flour! Any recipes that use self raising flour (like cakes) you need to get the mix in the oven quickly and know how accurate your oven temp is. Crumbles and brownies are more forgiving in my opinion.
    • Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 5th Dec 05, 11:10 AM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    Oh yeah, agree with what people say about healthier. If you use butter and cream you might not save money but you'll know your puddings are additive free. Also they will be more filling because they won't be pumped full of air.
    • Chipps
    • By Chipps 5th Dec 05, 1:29 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,802 Thanks
    Chipps
    This is a really cheap & easy pudding recipe from an American recipe book called "More with Less" The measurements are american cups, which is the 8oz mark on any measuring jug.

Quick Fruit Cobbler
    Crust begins on the bottom & ends up on the top. Consistency of cobbler varies depending on variety of fruit and amount of juice, but still tastes delicious.
    Preheat oven to 180 C
    Combine in bowl
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup flour
    1/2 cup milk
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Pour into 9x 9 inch greased baking pan
    Add
    2 cups fruit - fresh, frozen or canned
    Bake for 40 minutes

I use self raising flour, & don't bother with the baking powder. Also, I am not too fussy about the size of the pan, in fact usually do it in an oval pyrex dish.
    It is not obvious that the ingredients of the cake bit are as simple as they are. I made it yesterday for dessert using a large tin of fruit salad. It was really nice.
  • black-saturn
    I might make that tomorrow when I have a tin of fruit and my new oven installed
  • overdrawn
    hi thankyou to all who replied-you've all given me some great ideas. yes,they do have a pudding virtually every day,but only cos i was bought up that way!! also,it tends to stop them coming back an hour after tea still hungry !!!
    thanks again-couldn't see any thanks buttons tho !!!!!!!!!
  • black-saturn
    Its in the bottom right hand corner of the posts next to the 'quote' button
    • Chipps
    • By Chipps 5th Dec 05, 6:27 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,802 Thanks
    Chipps
    I might make that tomorrow when I have a tin of fruit and my new oven installed
    We just had the 2nd half of it for pudding today, reheated & with custard.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,194Posts Today

6,635Users online

Martin's Twitter