IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

UK Car Parking Management

Options
Moved into new flat, parked hire van in flat car park, then approached by attendant who said I had to display a permit. I had the permit in the flat so ran upstairs got the permit, placed it in the window, attendant checked it and was happy. Carried on with moving my stuff from the van. Then found out approx 4 days later that they had issued a Parking Charge Notification (PCN) via the Hire Car Company, with a £30 admin fee, the time on it was 90 mins after I had spoken with the attendant PCN was for £100. I sent off the appeal letter at the beginning of Feb, stating all what I have said above in this post and pointing out in the photo evidence they had showed the top of the parking permit in the window. They didn't take a full picture of the front window of the van. Called today and was told answer to my appeal had been sent out at the end of Feb, no letter received, my appeal was unsuccessful and I would have to pay the fine. They said they would send out another letter. Apparently I can appeal with an independent body, details on the letter.
Anyone else in similar situation?

Comments

• onlyfoolsandparking
    Options
    Not a 'fine' and you don't HAVE to pay it, typical approach by parking 'goon' attendant, its part of their job description to lie (and be lobotomised before they can start the job of course)

Plenty of options open to you at this early stage but more info is needed, WHO is the parking scammer? depending on who it is dictates whether you appeal or not.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Please read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #1 to learn about the game you're now snagged up in.
    Apparently I can appeal with an independent body, details on the letter.
    That will be pointless, the sticky explains why.

UKCPM are the most litigious parking company in the country at the moment, so you will probably have to defend this in court. Sorry, but there are no silver bullets we can offer to get rid of this quickly, but we will offer help and support as you go through the journey on this.

There is some persuasive case law which can help you further down the line; have a read of the court transcript so you can start to develop an understanding about how this could work for you.

https://www.parkingcowboys.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/JOPSON-V-HOMEGUARD-2906J-Approved.pdf
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • geoffcxx
    geoffcxx Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 4 May 2019 at 7:17PM
    Options
    I received a charge in Jan 29 whilst parking in the car park at my new flat. I had hired a van for the move, parked up and went into my friends flat as him and another friend were helping me move in. When I came out approx 5 mins after parking I noticed the car park attendant at the hire van who told me I had no permit, this was approx 1730 in the evening I explained to him that I had just moved in and my parking permit was in the flat, my 2 friends were witness to this. I quickly ran into the flat and retrieved the parking permit, place it in the drivers side of the windscreen, the parking attendant was happy and we continued to unload the van. It didn't take long approx 30 mins.

I locked up the van and didn't return to it until the next morning, when i returned the hire van I took the parking permit from the window. Some weeks later I received via the hire company a charge for £100, with the usual pay it within a set time and it will be reduced to £60. I didn't receive anything from Car parking Management. The photo was grainy on the copy of the fine and didn't show the full windscreen.

I wrote to CPM with an appeal letter within one week, i heard nothing back and after a month I called CPM, when I eventually got through after numerous calls I was told that my appeal had been rejected and a letter had been sent out, I told them I had received no letter and they said they would send out my appeal rejection letter again. I still have not received any correspondence from CPM ref my appeal letter some and it is now 3 months since I was initially sent the charge via the hire company.

Today I received a charge notification from CPM, this was the first correspondence I received from the company, they are now asking for £100 and if I don't pay within 28 days this will then be £160 charge. On this charge notification they have included a photo of the van front windscreen all of this time. The photo shows there being no parking permit in the window and the time stamp in the top left hand corner shows 1841, an hour after me placing the parking permit in the window.

Now to stop me thinking I'm going mad, is there anyway they could manipulate with the time stamp on the photo to change the time, it's the only thing I can think of how this happened, I think the attendant took a photo when I first parked up and wasn't there, then later manipulated the photo and issued the charge. I have 2 witnesses who seen me put the permit in the window and they also seen the attendant accepting the fact that I had placed the permit in the window.

Has anyone out there ever witnessed time stamps being manipulated, or am I going mad!!!
    Can any one help with any advice at all, the incident happened at my work week address in England however my main residence is in Scotland where this charge notice has been sent.
  • geoffcxx
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the help so far, they have finally contacted me again. As shown in the thread as at 4 May 19
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 May 2019 at 7:16PM
    Options
    Please put some paragraph/breaks in that wall of text as you have already been asked to do.

UKPC were caught doctoring time stamps on their photo "evidence" so yes it has happened before.

CPM may or may not have done this. In my opinion they are more likely to have taken a picture from a specific angle such that the permit could not be seen.

Complain to the landowner/landlord.

Dig out your lease/AST to see what it says about parking and permits. Equally important is what it doesn't say about parking or permits.

If you are absolutely sure a picture has been doctored, complain to the DVLA. Include you own witness statement along with statements from anyone else who can state that there was a permit in the window and therefore you believe the image has been doctored by altering the time stamp.

Bear in mind that any such statements could be used in court and that you understand the consequences if that happens.

Since this was a lease vehicle, you need to tell the hire Co you are dealing with this, (attach a copy of the appeal,) so they are not now liable for any charges and must NOT pay the scammers and/or charge you for doing so.
    Quote the relevant part of Schedule 4 of the PoFA. (Paras 13 and 14 I think.)
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    geoffcxx wrote: »
    Thanks for the help so far, they have finally contacted me again. As shown in the thread as at 4 May 19

Please delete the text from post 1 of that thread and replace it and the title as requested by KeithP.

Having two threads on the same subject will cause confusion and waste everyone's time.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,945 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Can any one help with any advice at all, the incident happened at my work week address in England however my main residence is in Scotland where this charge notice has been sent.
    Then stop contacting them and trying to tell them who the driver was!

You are in SCOTLAND! Usual advice applies.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • geoffcxx
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Following on from my last postl, I got in contact with CPM reference my fine and they cancelled the PCN as the 2 photos they provided one on each PCN, taken at the same time and basically the same photo, admitted that the photos weren't the same and you can see the top of the parking permit in the first photo but in the second it appears to be removed from the picture. they said they are dealing with it from their end.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,945 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Do what? They did WHAT? Falsified a photo?

Are you saying it looks like they PHOTOSHOPPED the edge of the permit out?

Show us the two photos please!

Please don't let this go without:

- complaining to the IPC
    - complaining to the DVLA
    - complaining to your local Trading Standards
    - complaining to Action Fraud, online
    - demanding UKCPM pay the £30 admin fee the lease firm took from you
    - publicising this in the paper or local news like this UKCPM activity:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47772305

Please please please show us those photos and we will walk you through the complaints. UKCPM must be already on sanctions with the IPC and this could kill them off.

We need to kill off this scum firm.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport