PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Stained Garments?

Options
Nile
Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
Prompted by Squeaky, here are some tips gained from when I worked in a laundry care research & development laboratory.

Tip 1 Tackle the stain as soon as possible, it will make it easier to deal with. I used to apply a range of stains to test cloths, prior to testing with laundry products. The stain was applied in a uniform manner, using a template. Each set of stains was baked in an oven (to set the stain), then washed with the test laundry product and evaluated.

Tip 2 Blood on a garment can be easily and cheaply removed , if you deal with it quickly. Use cold water and a bar of soap. Gently rub the blooded area under a running cold water tap with the soap bar, you'll see the blood rinse away before your eyes. Make sure all the blood has been removed before you put the garment in the washing machine for a normal wash.

Tip 3 It isn't money saving to buy the most expensive powder but, the best product for removing stains was Ariel Biological automatic powder. Don't use Ariel for all your washing, save it for the really badly stained garments and use a cheaper powder (like Surf) for your general washing.

Tip 4 Don't wear your best gear if you're going for a curry! The worst stain to remove (in my experience) was curry.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks a LOT Nile :D

I saw you mention once that Persil was the best powder for keeping whites white. Is that right - it was you?

Anyway - I'll get this added to the Zillions Index thingy right away. :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Bennifred
    Bennifred Posts: 3,986 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, Nile, this is soooo useful to know. There are so many different products to choose from, and everyone I know "swears" by different ones, so it's nice to get a proper scientific answer to the "What's best/ most effective?" question. So: Persil for whites, Ariel bio for stains and Surf/Lenor for general stuff, have I got that right? I might have to put a label on the machine to remind the rest of the household (Yeah, like anyone else knows where the washing machine is! :rolleyes: )
    [
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    amghiggs wrote:
    Thanks, Nile, this is soooo useful to know. There are so many different products to choose from, and everyone I know "swears" by different ones, so it's nice to get a proper scientific answer to the "What's best/ most effective?" question. So: Persil for whites, Ariel bio for stains and Surf/Lenor for general stuff, have I got that right? I might have to put a label on the machine to remind the rest of the household (Yeah, like anyone else knows where the washing machine is! :rolleyes: )

Yes, those are the products I use.

I am not a chemist, I'm just passing on my experience.;)

I do not have a connection with Lever or Procter & Gamble.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Kippsy
    Kippsy Posts: 259 Forumite
    Options
    Don't know if this is on the MEGA thread but try flour for tomato and grease stains.

When OH and I were out in our fave italian restaurant (and my OH being Italian related we know the owner and they always force us to have afree drink at the end of the meal... mmmm amaretto... anyway)

My OH was having some pasta in a red sauce when he dropped a bit back on his plate and splasehd my white top (as if I need any help getting dinner down my front)!!!

The waiter/wine dude brought over a little dish with some flour in and it soaks the grease out of the stain so it is dry and it came out totally when washed!!
    Hurrah!
    oooh look only about 220 posts and I got round to doing my Avatar already!!
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks Kippsy I'll try that next time DD gets bolognese down her top!
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • ET03
    ET03 Posts: 264 Forumite
    Options
    Kippsy wrote:
    Don't know if this is on the MEGA thread but try flour for tomato and grease stains.

When OH and I were out in our fave italian restaurant (and my OH being Italian related we know the owner and they always force us to have afree drink at the end of the meal... mmmm amaretto... anyway)

My OH was having some pasta in a red sauce when he dropped a bit back on his plate and splasehd my white top (as if I need any help getting dinner down my front)!!!

The waiter/wine dude brought over a little dish with some flour in and it soaks the grease out of the stain so it is dry and it came out totally when washed!!
    Hurrah!
    what a great tip
    son loves ketchup and often stains clothes icon14.gif
  • jenpoptab
    jenpoptab Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    Options
    My MIL swears flat cola will bring chocolate stains out amongst other things, I'm too scared to try in case makes stain worse. Anyone else tried this?
    WW Gold Member, trying to maintain !!!
    Hayden born July 07
    Tabitha born April 05
    Poppy born July 03
  • Lugh_Chronain
    Options
    If Ariel Biological doesn't work on stains then what would you suggest otherwise?

I've been trying to clean a cotton jumper which belongs to one of elderly gents I look after. I've tried using vanish and even resorted to using half a cup vinegar mixed with one cup of water - a tip I found on the vinegar books website. These didn't shift the stains. Has anyone any idea what I could try other than Ariel Bio? The jumper has what looks like coffee stains all down the front and along one of the sleeves.

I'll get a small box of Ariel Bio in the meantime and give this a go first.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure