Cheap Hotel Prices Article Discussion

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the
To discuss or ask a question about the article, click reply

Comments

• mountainofdebt
    mountainofdebt Posts: 7,795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Whilst I agree with Martin's comment re using Tesco vouchers, there are things you need to remember:

1. The room rate on the internet is not necessarily the rate that will be charged if using Tesco vouchers....usually its higher.

2. Hotels seem to have only a certain number of rooms that are available using Tesco vouchers ...so if you need a specific hotel book early.

3. Read the instructions about booking ....hotel chains have different booking arrangements
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • fatboyonadiet
    fatboyonadiet Posts: 5,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Why isn't Priceline mentioned it more detail, especially the 'Name Your Own Price' function, I've saved a fortune using this in the past, it is a risk and a bit difficult to understand the first time but there's some great explanatory posts in the holiday board.
    2p off is still 2p off!
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Priceline is in there - I think you may've missed it. :)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • I've long since been a connisseur of cheap hotel rooms using sites like laterooms.com to find great deals.

However I now own my own holiday let in Devon (riverview-apartment.com) and can see the owners side of the transaction where the company I advertise with take between 22-28% of the booking as their commission.

SO, my savvy tip is use the websites to find a hotel offering a great deal, then contact them direct and see if they'll match or better it!

For example I offer a discount to people booking direct and when I booked a place in Bude last Easter I phoned and booked direct making sure I told them I had seen them on laterooms and they gave me a free bottle of wine and matched the online rate as by going direct I had saved them the 20+% commission.
  • linden_2
    linden_2 Posts: 60 Forumite
    Has anyone got any comments on single supplements ?
    Are any hotels beginning to build single rooms ?
    Does anyone charge half for a single room ?
  • Single rooms; I'm a fan of the route that Travelodge etc have taken of a room rate not a person rate.

After all whether 1 or more people occupy it the room is taken so why charge more for 2 people? (Ok there is a slightly higher cost of towels/breakfast etc but not double!).

It's not that I think single person supplements are wrong, I think per person pricing for a hotel room is wrong.
  • fatboyonadiet
    fatboyonadiet Posts: 5,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    MSE_Martin wrote: »

I did see the it but there's no mention of 'Name Your Own Price'?
    2p off is still 2p off!
  • cpjackso
    cpjackso Posts: 246 Forumite
    First Post
    I always use www.tripadvisor.com to check up their candid traveller photos and users write-ups... They are much more informing than the star system - and give a better overall view of what you pay for.

I've had success booking cheap rooms through www.asiarooms.com and venere.com... Venere is good because it's booking facility shows availability in real-time.
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    MSE_Martin wrote: »

I thought the following 3 threads may be of interest to anyone wanting a cheaper deal.

Blindman has done an excellent guide on how to use Priceline

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=233768

Glenn The Baker also has an excellent Price match Marriott guide

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=441012

(I have an updated version here too)

Saveapenny is the cheap Thomson Hotels and apartments expert. Often she finds hotels for as little as 50p (Yes 50p !!!) per person per night

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=361099
  • On my travels around Europe, business and pleasure, i have found http://www.viamichelin.com a great site for hotels in out-of-the-way places. It lists smaller hotels, not just the big chains, and I have never been disappointed.

If your French, Italian or whatever is up to it then ring the hotel direct and negotiate a better price or better room. Prices always seem cheaper then the UK sites.

Safe journey, everyone

Mike O.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family