PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Microwave Magic

Options
I just read this by seraphina on another thread and thought it was worthy of its own thread

"We're fortunate enough to have a convection grill/combi microwave and ever since I discovered how miserly it is with electricity (not as good as a slow cooker but better by far than the oven as things cook much quicker and there's no heating up time) I'm trying to use it all the time!"

My electric oven is currently not working and will cost a fair bit to fix so I have been told. I too have one of these microwave ovens but have never used it as an alternative to an oven. Does anyone else do this and what sorts of things can I used it to cook!!!

Even when my oven is fixed with the rising electricity priced I could use this.

:T Thanks:T

Comments

• seraphina
    seraphina Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :grin: That's made my day, that has, I've inspired my very own thread!

Anyway, I started off with my microwave cookbood which came with the oven (you can still download it from the Panasonic website - it might be worth checking with your own particular oven manufactor. Failing that, the panasonic instructions/recipes should be applicable to most ovens).

All our rice gets cooked in the microwave because we have a microwave rice steamer which we bought from Lakeland. You can also do rice in a microwave in a normal bowl - the instructions are on all the rice packets.

Sausages - we do those using the grill function. The oven came with a thing to put on the turntable to raise the food to closer to the grill element - you could also just use a plate on an upturned bowl. Bacon etc also works well.

Jacket spuds - no idea really how to do that because I just press the "Potato" button on the front:o Our microwave uses a combi grill/microwave setting so you get quick spuds with lovely crisp skins.

Risotto: I have a recipe for leek and mushroom risotto that you can make in the microwave in about 15mins - it cuts out all the tedious stirring, but you wouldn't notice it taste wise. Will stick it on the recipe thread when I get a few mins.

Porridge - leave to soak overnight in milk, then nuke for three mins. I'd rather have saucepan made porridge but in the mornings the micro is much speedier.
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I used to love my combination microwave - shame XDH got custody of it in the divorce :(

I've been waiting for mine to die so I can persuade DH I really need a combi but it's been going strong for 7 years now and it was second hand when I bought it.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,586 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use my combination oven more often than my conventional oven, it heats up much more quickly when using it in conventional mode. Don't tend to use the grill function much, although I might dig out the instructions and give it a go. I only use my normal oven when I need the extra space.
  • Austin_Allegro
    Options
    I don't have a 'proper' oven as my kitchen is tiny. I have a combination microwave and grill and a twin hob thingy (which I bought seperately but hardly ever use) I've used this for about five years and had no problems, although I'm not a good cook and I don't know if you could do stuff like joints, baking cakes etc, but it's fine for everything else like cooking chops, bacon, sausages, fish, potatoes, omelettes... I too use a steamer in the microwave for rice, pasta, vegetables etc and it is one of the best things I've ever bought!
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • tootles_2
    tootles_2 Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Options
    I used my combination microwave as my only oven for two years, anything you cook in your oven you can cook in the micro.....you just have to be a little flexaible.

I have cooked joints, chicken, cakes scones bread biscuits......I too used a double ring for cooking veg in a steamer, have cooked for 7 of us this way. I have an oven (gas) now, but during this summer I have used the micro a lot as the kitchen does not get so hot...... I have had my present one for 12 years, when it finally gives up the ghost I will get the same maker but the one that has a shelf in so you can batch cook.....try it and see, it may take a little getting used to but especially if you have an electric cooker you will save on costs. Mine is a Panasonic too

Living in the sunny? Midlands, where the pork pies come from:

saving for a trip to Florida and NYC Spring 2008

Total so far £14.00!!
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,084 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I use mine to cook frozen pizza! It has a pizza setting (about 9 mins for a large pizza) which I also use to cook garlic bread.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • tawnyowls
    tawnyowls Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I used to use mine for everything - when we redid our old kitchen, we ripped out the oven and installed a microwave/oven/grill combi. It (as Sharp) was big enough to roast a large chicken, and came with 2 round shelves for microwaving, plus two normal oven shelves for baking, roasting etc. Couldn't use them with the microwave, but I think the new versions have shelves that will do this.

Made fantastic cakes and gorgeous crispy baked spuds with the microwave and oven on together. Really, anything you can cook in a normal oven you should be able to cook in a combi, space permitting.
  • recovering_spendaholic
    Options
    What kind of capacity do these ovens have? I have a teenager who is forever cooking rubbish like chips and pizza in the oven as she nearly always refuses to eat my HM food and more often than not she leaves the oven on full for hours. It is driving me mad and the idea that she could use the combi which has a timer is very appealing (don't get me started on trying to convert her to eating more healthily and trying HM stuff - you'd have more luck trying to sort out the Middle East). how much are they to buy? I had a combination oven about 20 years ago when they first came out and it was big and cumbersome and never really got the stuff crispy. What brand would you recommend?
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    RS, I was looking in the Argos catalogue and they have them in there for about £80, I think it was 0.9 cubic foot capacity.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • angchris
    angchris Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    the oven on my cooker broke years ago and i have been using my combination micro ever since to cook for my family i still use the grill and rings on my cooker but everything else gets cooked in micro, im sure it must be cheaper to heat up as its smaller its easier to clean too:j
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance! :p
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport