Weezl's phase 1- recipe testing and frugalisation- come one, come all!

Options
weezl74
weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
edited 4 April 2010 at 8:33AM in How much have you saved?
The vision: a low budget meal planner with recipes

Hello :)

I've been thinking for a while that what I'd dearly love to create is a resource. With meal plans and recipes and costings. For a 'normal' family of 4 (2 adults 2 teens). And I’d like it to prove itself to be healthy, and I’d like it to not be too much of a break away from what people normally eat. Because these are the objections and fears that most normal people have when you try to help them to live within their means.

So I’ve been asking for volunteer recipe testers and so far 25 lovely MSEers have stepped up to the plate. And I’m more grateful than I can say. Thanks:A. I hope there are more who might spare the time and the cash to test a frugal recipe. Let me know if you do.

I chatted to NYK and we felt that this could companionably live on this board as a 'little sister thread' to the very popular and Fab frugal living challenge.

Please post if you're willing to try/have tried any of my recipe suggestions with your brutally honest feedback :)

thank you :)

Love Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
:)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40

Comments

• weezl74
    edited 26 March 2010 at 6:54AM
    Options

cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
  • weezl74
    edited 17 February 2010 at 2:19PM
    Options
    Tasks list if anyone would like to volunteer!

Each of the parts below will take a bit of writing/think collating, I guestimate this is quite an investment of your time. So do think if it's realistic, or if you just have a few ideas to share about a topic, maybe PM the main person who has put themselves forward, all tips will be gratefully recieved :)

why on earth did we come up with this mad scheme?

Shirley's big batch cooking day planner

Shirley's kit list and current best buys

glossary of food terms for a new cook

Tips for getting all the family on board, even the really stubborn ones

what to do when you arrive at the shop and there's no carrots?

We had some leftovers last night, I don't want to waste them!

I think I've just seen a better bargain what shall I do?

shirley's storecupboard of herbs, spices seasonings to make things just a bit more varied and interesting, but for teeny cash (or maybe for shirley's birthday pressie :))

my current understanding of how the phases of this mad scheme might roll out:

Weezl's phase 1- recipe testing and frugalisation- come one, come all!

phase 2 - nutritional checks, stock checks, costings and finalisation of shopping list and planners

phase 3 - actual testing of the whole month by a couple of real families- gulp:eek:

phase 4 -
    tweaks and write up

Phase 5 make it known somehow to Bob and Shirley

• weezl74
    edited 16 March 2010 at 7:38AM
    Options
    The rules/parameters of the challenge:

1. no bombing diving or petting (oops sorry that's the rules of my old school swimming pool) :)
    2. This is about subsistence living. There will be other phases where we can add in non-essentials, but for now we'll try to meet the need of the poorest families first and build it up from there.
    3. We want the family to stay healthy. We will try as far as possible to make the diet healthy. (however if we demonstrate there is plenty of fibre for good gut health, we will then allow white flour for baking, so they can at least sometimes have cake!).
    4. We acknowledge that we can't please all of the people all of the time. The end product will be a resource for a theoretical family of 4, who if using it COULD manage subsistence living. As interesting, useful and part of the chat of the thread as it is, I don't think we can accomodate too many personal tastes whilst keeping it subsistence level eating.
    5. We will aim for 80p per person per day or £100 per family of 4 per (31 day) month
    Special guidelines for the recipe testers:

Whilst tasting, please do be honest. If it's vile please say so. If we offer subsistence and they can't eat it, then there's no incentive not to just chuck another £400 a month at tesco onto the (already heaving) credit card.

However... Please also keep in mind the real debt of this family. If they add a 'splash of wine' or the recipe might benefit from a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, then they will probably end up paying 5 times over for the cost of that bottle of wine/balsamic. :eek:And it's not that lovely! So I think what I'm saying is, do feel free to make those suggestions, this is already a cheerful chatty friendly thread and it would be horrid to lose that. Just that when we're collating feedback for the mythical family of 4, we need to aim for the 'good enough' curry rather than the 'finest brand level with shavings of real coconut and fresh Kaffir lime leaves' type curry.

define healthy?

7 of the NHS 5 a day
    sufficient fibre
    avoidance where possible of harmful transfats
    enough protein and carbohydrate to sustain health and maintain weight
    enough vitamins and minerals for health

please add more here!

the surveys: the way to give us your feedback on the recipes you've tested-click!

• Sucker_for_sweeties
    Options
    I,m making more of my chickens 'rubber' amongst other bits, so if a (HUNGRY) carnivore who [STRIKE]needs[/STRIKE] demands a big chunk of dead animal can be accommodated then I'd like to try.

It's only over the last 2/3 years I've really appreciated the way my Granny cooked.
    Not just a sucker for sweeties..:o
  • weezl74
    Options
    I,m making more of my chickens 'rubber' amongst other bits, so if a (HUNGRY) carnivore who [STRIKE]needs[/STRIKE] demands a big chunk of dead animal can be accommodated then I'd like to try.

It's only over the last 2/3 years I've really appreciated the way my Granny cooked.

Thank you very much SforS, I shall add you to the volunteers list :)

• Sucker_for_sweeties
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »
    Thank you very much SforS, I shall add you to the volunteers list :)

Oh, now I'll have to get all techie and investigate how to subscribe to a thread.:D
    Not just a sucker for sweeties..:o
  • homegrown_life
    Options
    Stick my name down on the list Weezl! Looking forward to seeing how the thread unfolds.
    2010 Cost of Living Challenge - £901/£5300 * Grocery challenge - £117.91/£120 *
    Total Debt- [STRIKE]£6388.74[/STRIKE] £5995.66 :eek:
    Debt Free Reward Pot £11 * Overdraft vs 100 days £363.76/£800 *
    Feb NSD's 8/12
  • weezl74
    Options
    thank you both, I have added your names :)

Please let me know which of the recipe list above tickles your fancy, if any :o

• homegrown_life
    Options
    I'd like to try the spicy meatballs. It's actually on my meal plan for this month but not given much thought as to how I'll do it. I normally just do spag bol, but thought this would make a change. Pork and apple burgers sound great too.

I just made a chick pea curry yesterday which all the family ate (for once, normally there is one voice of dissent!) and enjoyed. Will be interested in seeing your recipe too.

Thanks for adding my name.
    2010 Cost of Living Challenge - £901/£5300 * Grocery challenge - £117.91/£120 *
    Total Debt- [STRIKE]£6388.74[/STRIKE] £5995.66 :eek:
    Debt Free Reward Pot £11 * Overdraft vs 100 days £363.76/£800 *
    Feb NSD's 8/12
  • nopot2pin
    nopot2pin Posts: 5,721 Forumite
    edited 6 February 2010 at 6:16PM
    Options
    :T:T:T

This should be fun :D:j
    I cant wait to get started experimenting on your behalf :D

I am up for testing the veggie recipes.... except the pasta/greenbean one - I have green bean issues _pale_:o
    I also enjoy baking, so am up for those too.
    Oh.... and chutneys :drool:

When and what sort of info do you require Weezl ?

Potty
    :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family