PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How to start off compost bin?

After my January resolution to recycle more I have only now got my compost bin, better late than never I suppose.

I need some advice on how to start it off, it came with a little leaflet that said its best to mix contents when starting. It seems so big and all I have at the moment is some tea bags and a toilet roll! Do I just bung them in or wait till I have more waste? Can I add paper to bulk it out a bit?
“A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    In our Indexed Collections there's a section on organics/grow your own with a link to a good site on composting and other threads on the same subject.

Click Here for the direct route there. :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • when we had one (I keep meaning to get another!) we just put all the veg peelings in a bucket, and over the course of the next few days chucked the bucket full in the compost bin.
    it will soon fill up, believe me!!
    wading through the treacle of life!

debt 2016 = £21,000. debt 2021 = £0!!!!
  • carol_a_3
    carol_a_3 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    I only got one about 6 weeks ago. I put in veg peelings, apple cores, tea bags, egg shells, toilet roll middles, hedge trimmings, dead leaves, some grass cuttings and it's about half full already. The thing I hate is, when I lift the lid about a million tiny flies fly out, I hope they're doing something useful in there!
  • We've got a plastic container with a lid on the kitchen side that we use to put tea-bags, apple cores, veg peelings etc in then we tip that into the compost every day. We got it from Betterware, cost £2.99 and its called a work-top bin.

https://www.betterware.co.uk (in cookshop section then look under kitchenware)
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Life is too short to sort your compost. Bung it all in. If it gets slimy because you've put too many grass cuttings in put some shredded newspaper in and give it a prod to stir it about a bit. It might take longer but it will all rot down eventually.

just don't put anything cooked in if you don't want to see a rat in there when you lift the lid off (we have lots of rats in our leafy suburb - I had to stop feeding the birds when I saw a rat on the bird table two feet from the kitchen window. But I have never had one in the compost bin since I started making sure I had no cooked vegetables in there)
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • I read somewhere that to deter rats, like maryb says, dont put cooked veggies in, but also no meat or bones, cooked or otherwise and no dairy. (Except eggshells :D )

I ordered a compost bin a couple of months ago via a special offer with the local council, but it hasnt come yet. In the meantime I have filled loads of boxes whilst Im waiting for it and I cant believe how much Ive saved instead of binning it all. Just hope the composter arrives soon, it will be full as soon as it arrives at this rate. :rotfl:
  • Agree - absolutely no cooked food.

The Organic people (Henry Doubleday Research Association) have some useful info here.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure