PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cleaning advice needed!

Options
I need some advice - Please try not to laugh too much.

We have JUST had a new kitchen fitted. Its is brand spanking new. We have had an invasion of ants - I'm presuming they've been disturbed & theres a few gaps in the wall and at the edge of worksurfaces as the tiles have got to put on later this week.

SO, I have been sensible and got some ant killer stuff and put it on the floor.

Yesterday my very thoughtful, inventive, creative t*t of a husband decided to put 2 strips of 'veet wax strips' (they were a freebie) on the side wax side up to 'see if it would catch some litter buggers'. Well, it did BUT someone (no-one will admit to this bit- unless it was the ants in protest) turned the strips over and now I have leg wax stuff ON MY NEW WORKSURFACE :mad:

I've tried all sorts of cleaners - anyone got any ideas once they've got up off the floor from laughing? :D
Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...

Comments

• Mado
    Mado Posts: 21,776 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hpefuly if they are recent stuff they are sugar based... so just water should do the trick (which is also why the ants would have been delighted with it in the first place).

Just let the water dissolve the sugar...
    I lost my job as a cricket commentator for saying “I don’t want to bore you with the details”.Milton Jones
  • nabowla
    nabowla Posts: 567 Forumite
    Options
    If it's wax rather than sugar, could you perhaps put a bit of brown paper over the wax, heat up the iron to the lowest setting and then run the iron over the brown paper? This always works with wax on linen - the gentle heat from the iron melts the wax and the brown paper absorbs it so that it doesn't go straight onto the iron's hot plate.
  • BWZN93
    BWZN93 Posts: 2,182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    depending on your work surface - I use nail varnish remover, one of the not so strong ones, when I get little bits of wax stuck to my legs after waxing with those strips. Nothing else has ever removed them, I usually end up with funny little blue fluffy lines down my legs if im in a rush, have waxed, and have put on jeans over the top, but a quick wipe with varnish remover has removed them and done me no harm!

Obviously want to be careful on the surfaces though..

Jo xx
    #KiamaHouse
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd be inclined to do my best to remove most of it physically first by using a non scratch scraper such as an old credit card. Then try the ironing and brown paper. Finally the varnish remover to polish off anything that's left :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    Do you have any scrap bits of worktop? you could re-create the problem and try out all the solutions on this piece first
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Try baby oil
    Bulletproof
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Try any product with oil of orange in it - either Astonish orange paste (£1) or Flash or Mr Muscle make a sray with oil of orange - it is really good for stubborn stuff like paint or oil etc.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • jennyjo_2
    jennyjo_2 Posts: 1,812 Forumite
    Options
    troo wrote:
    Try baby oil
    I agree as this is what they reccomend to get residue off your legs too

not a newbie now: but still be gentle with me ;)
  • Quackers
    Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    Options
    And the winner was.......

troo wrote:
    Try baby oil

Although it was the first I tried - it seemed the easiest. I'd already tried the hot water. The word 'iron' brings me out in hot sweats - I've got a husband for that job ;) I was scared to use nail varnish remover. I'd tried some orange stuff to no avail - I've got every type of cleaner stuff in my cupboard.:rolleyes: And I was too lazy to recreate the mess on the spare bit of worktop in the garage.

THANK YOU ALL :D
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    :T :T :T Had I seen this yesterday, I would also have suggested baby oil ... after all that is what the wax strips packet recommends for removing any residue on your skin :o

Delighted it worked for you :D:D:D

Next time (heaven forbid :eek: ) use olive oil/sunflower oil ... not everyone has baby oil lurking around ;)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills