We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Melons, Growing own but have 'big' problem

4Chickens
4Chickens Posts: 505 Forumite
Are there any keen gardeners out there?

I am growing my own melons in the garden this year and its my first go at this kind of fruit. I planted honeydew melon seeds in February and raised them in the green house. Once they were strong enough I planted them out in a tub in the garden. The plants are now about 3ft tall and there is no sign of a vine (which I was expecting) or any melons for that matter. They just keep getting taller and the stems thicker. Now, I'm sure melons don't grow on trees. Any tips, info or advice would be much appreciated.

BTW I am also growing cherry tomatoes, rhubarb, rocket, spinach, lollo rosso and strawberries all in second hand tubs I got from the local recycling centre. How's that for money saving eh?

Comments

• Loadsabob
    Loadsabob Posts: 662 Forumite
    I'm afraid I have no experience of growing melons, though I know they often trail, like courgettes and squash. however, I have seen tips to place the feet from tights over growing melons and secure them to the plant as they get heavier, so I guess that the fruits do indeed grow off the ground sometimes?...Hope someone knows more than I do!

Well done on all the other stuff, good things to grow!! and in second hand tubs, too!

Have a good harvest!
  • I have the 'Self Sufficient Gardener book' by John Seymour a gift from my husband 25 years ago when we lived in a 1st floor flat!!!! never grown them myself but here are the main bullet points

They grow in the same conditions as greenhouse cucumber
    Protect from direct sun in mid summer
    Water them fully about twice a week but not around the stem at soil level (collar rot) sink a plant pot 6 " away and water into the plant pot, don't splash the plant
    Spray with water every day
    As melons climb tie them to wires or canes
    Support heavy melons with nets or cloths, fix these to the sides of your greenhouse

edit - I just re-read that you have them in the garden, there's no mention of this in the book, he seems to be assuming that they are in the greenhouse, maybe that's the only way

It doesn't actually say when you can expect the flowers but it sounds as if you are doing Ok so far.

Well done on the recycling, I have lots of stuff in odd containers too
  • needmoney
    needmoney Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Had trouble with my melons all my life they just won't grow any bigger:o :D

So sorry couldn't resist running to hide now
    Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    We grew melons once, (something similar to the ogen variety I think!), but kept them in the greenhouse. They never grew to any great size...about the size of a tennis ball but the flavour was fantastic...very intense and sweet.

Good luck with them! icon7.gif
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• 4Chickens
    4Chickens Posts: 505 Forumite
    My melons are not in a green house, they are out in the garden in a tub with amongst other things, a jasmine climbing up the fence. However, I've had an idea, move my washing line and hang some old bras on it and support my melons that way! The neighbours might give me some funny looks thouth. What do you think?
  • Grandmama
    Grandmama Posts: 148 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A couple of weeks ago I found a few Melon seeds that I saved from a melon at Xmas. I only have a small Courtyard garden, pots only, no earth areas. I put them in a spare pot and they are now growing much to my surprise. If I plant them out into larger pots, boxes or even a growbag will I get any melons? The Courtyard is sheltered and is part shady. Any advice welcome.
  • Jayar
    Jayar Posts: 735 Forumite
    I must admit that growing melons is not something I've tried, but I know a man who has ;)
    http://www.gardenadvice.co.uk/howto/greenhouse/melon/index.html
    http://www.seedfest.co.uk/tips/how-to-grow-melons.html
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
  • Kay_Peel
    Kay_Peel Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    Someone gave me two nice melon plants, about 2 inches high. The only advice they could give me was - grow them in a hot place! Since I haven't got a greenhouse and my porch faces north east, I've done this.

Filled the bottom of two old compost bags with grass clippings, cardboard and half rotted compost. Next, put some weed-free garden soil over the bottom layer and then topped it up with general purpose compost. When the bags were half full, I put them in an hessian sack. They look quite nice, actually!

I placed them in my mini greenhouse, after taking out all but the top shelf. I put a bit of bubblewrap over the top of the sack, for the time being, and some fleece around the bottom of the 'greenhouse' to stop a cold wind getting through.

That was three days ago. They are now about three times the size that they were, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I hope to get them to grow up to the top shelf, where any melons can be supported. Well that's the theory, anyway!

Kay
  • Grandmama
    Grandmama Posts: 148 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks Kay. I have a pop up mini greenhouse which is where the little pot is now. I also have an old fishing box so I will take your advice on the compost etc. Using your ideas (hope you do not mind) had a thought that I might then put the little pop up over the plants in the box. The box is bigger than the base of the pop up which means any rain(if we get some) will water the roots. Interesting experiments!
  • becka1248
    becka1248 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Last year I got 2 melon plants from the garden centre in the middle of the summer, reduced to clear as they were all leggy and hadn't been watered, I thought i'd give them a try, not expecting them to actually grow but I did get 2 melons off them. They weren't as large as the ones from the supermarket but had an excellent flavour. I just grew them directly into the garden, so they should be ok in your courtyard garden without being in a greenhouse. This year I've grown from seed two different varieties, cantaloupe and galia. One lot are just starting to get flower buds opening but the others seem quite a way behind. Anyway hope yours do well!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure