Picky pregnant cat

Prudent
Prudent Posts: 11,448 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
I have a young cat who is pregnant. The kittens are due in around ten days. She has always been a picky eater and very slender. She is pure white and fine boned so may have some oriental blood in her. She ate well at the start of the pregancy but is now eating just under half a tin of felix/whiskers a day plus a small bowl of dried 'whiskers complete'. She will also eat some roast chicken, roast beef , salmon or tuna. I have been a bit nervous about giving her too much of these as I know cat food contains a balance of minerals.

I do not give her milk as our other cat is very allergic to it and I am worried he will get hold of it.

Does anyone have any advice?
I apologise if this is the wrong forum as I didn't know where to post.
Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £80/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £103/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200

Comments

• Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    She won't feel like eating much at the moment with a belly full of kittens ;) ... just make sure she eats plenty once they're born as feeding them will really take it out of her.

Edit: you might want to start feeding her on kitten food to give her extra nutrients through lactation, and it will also enable you to wean the kittens on the same food when the time comes.

HTH :)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks Curry Queen. I did wonder if that might be the problem.

Kitten food sounds a good idea. I will get some tomorrow and try her on that.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £80/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £103/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    No problem, and good luck :D

Edit: Just a thought, but when you go and get her food, try to get the kitten variety of whatever brands she's currently eating if you can, I know Whiskas do some, as it's not the best time to start changing her diet completely with her being so close to having them.
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• chardonnay_2
    chardonnay_2 Posts: 2,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    prudent, have you sent away for the kitten freebies? they might be in the freebie section or https://www.bobsfreestuffforum.co.uk has a pet section. whiskas send out kitten packs, and so do others might help you out when you get all the kittens!
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport