PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Unpaid Leave

Options
I am having to take four days off next week to revise for my exams. Consequently I will be £200.00 short in my salary. I have read a lot of threads and joined in a few challenges. What would you do to save £200.00 if you had to next month?
All my views are just that and do not constitute legal advice in any way, shape or form.£2.00 savers club - £20.00 saved and banked (got a £2.00 pig and not counted the rest)Joined Store Cupboard Challenge]

Comments

• Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oooh, to have £200 per month coming in would help :)

It depends on your lifestyle - if I was still working, I could have cut down by taking all my own food in to work and resisting the temptation to buy extras like choccy (this would have been hard)

Try to have cheaper entertainment - instead of going out for a few drinks, try buying a bottle and some snacks and invite your friends over for a chat/games/videos and tell 'em it's bring a bottle too.

When I was at Uni, my friend suggested I should sell my body,;) but then told some lads she saw that I gave change - for £1!!:o (at least it wasn't 10p) :D
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stop spending money!! :)

In the short term you can live off the contents of your pantry, fridge and freezer. There are lots of recipe ideas to help you do this if you click on the blue (Index) in my signature below.

Again short term, give up treats and entertainments. Just don't do it for too long because you'll get to dislike MoneySaving and give up!
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If I had to make up a £200 shortfall I would:

Only pay the minimum credit card balance for that month instead of trying to pay a bit extra

Try to use all my free minutes on my mobile & not use my home phone and/or extra minutes on mobile

Not go to any Rugby League away games for the month (£15 x 2 plus petrol to get there). Home games are already paid for via season ticket

No meals out, takeaways or trips to the pub. HM lunch to work EVERY DAY!

Not buy my regular monthy wine supply - usually £50 for 12 bottles lasts us about a month. No drinking during the week - weekends only

No new clothes, shoes, CDs or other non essentials. Not that I buy many anyway, but between us there is usually a few bits n bobs a month.

Not put my regular £100 into my holiday saving fund. This would be the last resort if I hadn't saved enough elsewhere.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I could just about absorb this amount as a one off. At present i am saving about £40 a week out of my housekeeping, recently i have been selling my unwanted pits and peices and have made quite a bit out of doing that. If i couldnt though, i would have to raid my savings.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Live off contents of cupboard/freezer.

Suspend daughter going to toddler groups(luckily they don't charge for missed weeks!) and take to park, free bouncy castle etc.

Only talk to hubby via e-mail instead of ringing him.

Reduce or stop sky package (have already done this)- you can always put it back on next month if you miss it.

Have friends round instead of going out.

Walk or public transport instead of using car
  • Katgoddess
    Katgoddess Posts: 1,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Take a look at the Great 'ways To Cut Back' Hunt thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=47180&page=1&pp=10

In my bad days I would put a few major purchases on my credit card and pay it off over a couple of months. :o

Nowadays I would stop the 100 pounds that goes into my savings, and take 100 pounds out of my savings. But with internet banking I could just do this at the end of the month when the account is approaching zero, because I might not need the full amount.

But to actually cut back?

Stop buying "rubbish". I have got much better at this over the past couple of months so this would be an extra challenge. This includes snacks, magazines, clothes.

Packed lunch every day for work. Drink free water instead of buying juice. Drink coffee on my department where its free, unlike the canteen where I have to pay. Wait for someone to finish with their paper instead of buying one myself.

Sell some old books/clothes on Ebay.

Stop using my mobile. I *really* don't need to check my email via WAP on every work break.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure