Home Made car window cleaner

Does anyone have any ideas what to use instead of spending pounds on "blue" stuff from the garage etc.
The best work is the cheapest as the quality remains long after the price is forgotten

Comments

• rushnowt
    rushnowt Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    i use distilled vinegar and water for all my windows car included, does just a good a job as anything else, much cheaper and no smears ;) ;D
    Nobody can make you feel inferior, without your permission ;)

Love doesn't make the world go round, it's what makes the ride worthwhile

ya still freezing :p

16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    where do you put it, in the washer bottle?
  • perhaps i didnt make it clear.. i want to put it in the washer bottle as opposed to cleaning the windows. i was not sure that you could put vinegar in the washer bottle as it might cause a problem.

Anyone got a bright idea?
    The best work is the cheapest as the quality remains long after the price is forgotten
  • Washing up liquid works for me.
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    i use washing up liquid neat when inside of windows are dry, to stop it steaming up.
  • DeskBob
    DeskBob Posts: 16 Forumite
    Washing up liquid works for me.
    Washing up liquid rotts rubber so beware on older cars with the non-bonded type screens. It's full of salt and other chemicals.

I always buy the concentrated screen-wash, it's normally about a £1 from supermarkets, mix it with normal tap water varying the strength according to the weather/temperature. I keep an old 5l bottle in the garage and mix it in that. Fill it with water, about 3/4 to 4/5 full, then put the concentrate in. Do it the other way round and it foams up and you waste it :rolleyes: A 5l mix lasts me 3-4 weeks and I do about 350 miles a week.

For what it costs, I can't see the sense in trying to save on it, it's a safety issue too, a clear windscreen's a blessing at this time of year.
  • my OH swears by stardrops you only need a small amount made up with water
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    i always used to use washing up liquid - untill on a very cold icy morning it froze on contact with the window ( i was high up on a hill and it was sub zero) trying to clean the muck off my windows just made things worse and i had to pull over. i have since used a comercial screen wash as it copes with cold windows in freezing conditions better.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • Since this thread was started, we've got a dedicated Motoring Board ;)

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • DeskBob wrote: »
    I always buy the concentrated screen-wash, it's normally about a £1 from supermarkets, mix it with normal tap water varying the strength according to the weather/temperature. I keep an old 5l bottle in the garage and mix it in that.

same as i do. lasts ages and doesnt cost as much as already mixed stuff. asda had a bottle for £1 which i made about 10 litres
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure