PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Vegan and vegetarian food on the cheap

Options

Comments

• the_cat
    the_cat Posts: 2,176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    a good book to look out for is one called Cheap and Easy Vegetarian Cooking by Rose Elliot - loads of really cheap ideas. might be worth looking out for :)
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Options
    Magentasue, where do you get your vegetarian Worcester sauce? I used to be able to get it in local healthstore, but not been able to get it for years now, and use mushroom ketchup as an alternative, as closest I can find.
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    I'll find out about the worcester sauce - I can't buy it round here but a friend gets it in London and brings me a bottle down. That said, I haven't had any for ages (months rather than years) because I haven't seen her. I could get it in our health food shop when it was independent - now it's Holland and Barrett and 'not one of their lines'.
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not a veggi, just like to make sure I get my fruit and veg portions.  I'm not sure if all the ingredients are OK for veggi  :-/ and it contains cheese - sorry ashmit.

1 pack frozen puff pastry (or be very clever and make your own)

1 small aubergine
    1 corgette
    1 red pepper
    some cheese (I've found English goats cheese was best but you can use feta, blue cheese or any other)

1.    chop everything up quite small, fry it in a pan in a tiny bit of oil just to soften it a bit (you can add herbs etc. to taste).  
    2.  Meanwhile roll out the pastry into a wide oblong and chop the cheese into chunks.  
    3. When the veg has softened but it down one side of the pastry, but the cheese cubes on top,
    4. fold the other half of the pastry over the top and seal.  
    5. Bung it in the oven until it goes nice and brown

Hope you enjoy it.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Options
    Thanks Magentasue. Have been on the quest for veg Worcestershire sauce for years since my local shop stopped selling it, nice to know it is still available. Still at least I can still use my Geo Watkins Mushroom Ketchup, which I find is nearest alternative, unless someone else knows any different!
    Galtizz, your recipe for veg in puff pastry sounds similar to one I use, but less complicated (mine involves white sauce and roast veg), so definitely going to give that a try, sounds delicious. Definitely shop bought puff pastry for me though, don't have the time to do home made.
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    Ann Marie, the one I get is Hendersons, in London you can buy it in in large Sainsburys and health food shop - my supplier tells me. I just found this http://www.hendersonsrelish.com/content/relish.htm

According to that, I should be able to get it everywhere- will have to ask.
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Really easy and Yummy Vegan Gingerbread:-

275g/10oz Plain Flour plus 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 Tbspn ground ginger
    175g/6oz soya marge
    175g/6oz soft brown sugar
    100g/3.5oz golden syrup
    100g/3.5oz black treacle
    225ml/8fl oz, 1 cup soya milk

1. Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin and preheat oven to 160C (325F, Gas Mark 3).

2. Sieve flour, bicarb of soda, cinnamon and ginger together.

3. Heat the marge, sugar, syrup, treacle and soya milk together until everything is melted.

4. Pour the butter mixture into the flour mixture and mix well, it will be sloppy. Pour the resulting batter into the loaf tin and bake in the oven for 1 hour.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Options
    Thanks Magentasue for that. Could not remember for the life of me, the one I used to use. Should be able to get my hands on that somewhere locally.
    You are a wee gem. :-*
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Anne Marie - whereabouts are you. Hendersons relish is made in Sheffield (and the locals go mad for it!). I live about 20 miles away (in Doncaster) and is found in our local supermarkets here.
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Options
    Spendless, unfortunately live NE Scotland, well, someone has to! ::)
    However, now I have a name for the sauce, will have a look this end of the woods, although can't recall seeing it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure