Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • Frugaldom
    Billy Can
    Will Power, is my tin can. For fun, I call him Billy Can and he is a true demonstration of what will power can do for you. To all who have already created their little tin friend, I congratulate you!

My Billy Can is sitting on my desk right now - empty. Being a handy shape, he can double up as a pencil/pen holder and various other things but mainly, he's there to remind me of Will Power.

A few posts back, I included my recalculated budget to reflect the impact certain bills & expenses have had on my annual spend. There are few places I can cut back other than the grocery shopping so I joined the grocery challenge to do just that. My initial allowance of £30 per week for 3 adults was shortened to £120 per month and, from there, further shortened to £100 for the shorter month of February. It takes quite a bit of will power to stop you buying something your really want, especially when it is on special offer or reduced! But my trusty Billy Can is here to remind me and this is where things get a little bit confusing. Can you control your own will power and demonstrate free will? Or are these 2 completely different things? :confused:

Longwinded this may be, but it's quite intriguing and I was amazed the first time I tried this. Keep in mind that the object of this entire challenge is to save money, clear debts and live a frugal life whilst aiming to hit whatever targets we have set ourselves. Will power has brought you this far and now it's sitting on your desk with a nickname - Billy Can.

Work out your grocery allowance - On £120 per month, mine is £3.93 per day (1440/366). It's a good idea to double check your figures against what you have already spent, just in case you need to adjust your budget. Using nothing more than will power, see how much you can shave off one week's grocery bill and, whatever it is, place the cash in your Billy Can. Make sure that you use the correct figures and that you know what your budget is. At the end of next week, there will hopefully be something in your billy can and then we'll see how frugalized we have all become and, hopefully, have a little bit of fun.
    Last edited by Frugaldom; 09-02-2008 at 12:31 AM.
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

173Posts Today

3,142Users online

Martin's Twitter