Options
2»

Comments

• darkidoe
    darkidoe Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AndyT678 wrote: »
    Using parameters like this is a really useful piece of advice.

I'd also consider going a bit further an using named ranges to identify the variables so that A1 is called Interest, A2 Tax_Allowance, A3 is Tax_Rate etc...

That way you can use the names as references in formulae throughout the sheet and it's instantly obvious what you're referencing. It makes the sheet easier to troubleshoot and simpler for other users to understand.

Where do u learn all these excel tips and trick? I have difficulty just getting simple equations in, never mind naming cells.

Save 12K in 2020 # 38 £0/£20,000
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Simple Excel spreadsheet for income tax

This should work in Excel to calculate income tax. Any allowances such as the annual tax free interest allowance need to be deducted first. This will then calculate income tax due on non-tax deductible income. It should work if you just copy and paste verbatim into the same cells – assuming I haven’t messed up copying the formulas across to post here. The asterisks indicate variable cells where you update values manually as necessary.

Cell B2 (Tax Free Allowance) in B2 enter 11000*
    Cell B3 (Threshold for Tax Free Allowance) in B3 enter 100000*
    Cell B4 (Tax Free Allowance Adjusted for Income) in B4 =if(B2-(B14-B3)/2<0,0,if(B14<=B3,B2,B2-(B14-B3)/2))
    Cell B5 (Lower Rate) in B5 enter 20%*
    Cell B6 (Higher Rate) in B6 enter 40%*
    Cell B7 (Additional Rate) in B7 enter 45%*
    Cell B8 (Lower Rate Threshold) in B8 enter 32,000*
    Cell B9 (Higher Rate Threshold) in B9 =B8+B4
    Cell B10 (Additional Tax Threshold) in B10 enter 150000*
    Cell B11 (Additional Rate Threshold) in B11 =B10+B4

Cell B14 (Income Received) in B14 enter income (e.g. 18600, 43900 etc.)*
    Cell B15 (Taxable Income) in B15 =IF(B14<B4,0,B14-B4)
    Cell B16 (Taxed at Lower Rate) in B16 =IF(B15>B8,B8,B15)
    Cell B17 (Lower Rate Tax) in B17 =B16*B5
    Cell B18 (Taxed at Higher Rate) in B18 =if(B14>B11,B11-B16*B6,IF(B15<B16,0,B15-B16))
    Cell B19 (Higher Rate Tax) in B19 =B18*B6
    Cell B20 (Taxed at Additional Rate) in B20 =if(B14>B11,(B14-B11)*B7,0)
    Cell B21 (Additional Rate Tax) in B21 =B20*B7
    Cell B22 (Total Tax Due) in B22 =B17+B19+B21
    Cell B23 (Net Income After Tax) in B23 =B14-B22
  • buffman
    buffman Posts: 436 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nothing beats Quicken if you can get your hands on an old copy. Though the software is 10+ years old, nothing on the market comes close and it works perfectly on Windows 10.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wneil wrote: »
    Simple Excel spreadsheet for income tax
    That may be right for high earners, but for low earners, it misses out dividend allowance and dividends, savings income, Personal Savings Allowance, and Starting Rate Savings Allowance.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • jordanjim
    jordanjim Posts: 68 Forumite
    edited 16 September 2016 at 12:23PM
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, some good starting points to work with and programs to research.

wneil's spreadsheet is very helpful, I assume to include Eco Miser's points for a basic rate taxpayer it could be expanded with additional cells including the following:

New cell 1: Dividends received [amount earned]
    New cell 2: Dividend allowance [£5000]
    New cell 3: Taxable dividends [=cell 1-cell 2]
    New cell 4: Dividend tax rate [7.5%]
    New cell 5: Tax on dividends [=cell 3*cell 4]

New cell 6: Bank interest [amount earned]
    New cell 7: Personal savings allowance [£1000]
    New cell 8: Taxable interest [cell 6-cell 7]
    New cell 9: Tax on bank interest [cell 8*B5]

Then wneil's spreadsheet could be modified to add these totals to total tax due, net income etc.

I'm not that familiar with IF functions so maybe someone else wants to expand this to include the figures for if someone falls into the higher rate bracket, Starting Rate Savings applies or anything else that's been missed?

Another tip that's helped me in the past is that I try to colour-code the spreadsheet cells to make it easier to see what I need to update and when. e.g. I have one cell background colour for government set rates that I only need to update if a budget change kicks in, and another colour for my personal figures such as salary, dividends etc. It saves time checking each cell when updating the spreadsheet, as the personal figures are the only ones that I need to update for the most part.

Edit: Just thought that we would also need an IF sum for if someone has dividends but hasn't used up all their personal allowance with salary or other income. Presumably the taxable amount of dividends will decrease by the remainder of the personal allowance left over?
  • AndyT678
    Options
    darkidoe wrote: »
    Where do u learn all these excel tips and trick? I have difficulty just getting simple equations in, never mind naming cells.

When you use a tool all day, every day in your job you get pretty familiar with it. That said there's always more to learn with Excel.

I've been on a couple of courses in the past but most of what I know I've picked up from watching other people, seeing other spreadsheets or just playing around and googling to figure out how stuff works.

As this thread illustrates, there's always about 100 ways of achieving a particular outcome. Most of the time the method you choose doesn't really matter.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jordanjim

Yes as I said when posting it this is for income tax due on non-tax deductible income.
    Allowances such as the annual tax free interest allowance can be calculated separately.
    Getting the thresholds working is a bit of a chore so this may save time for anyone who needs this or wants to build on it.

To save entering manually I think this should work as a 'Copy and Paste' from here.

1. Copy the text below and paste so first item top left 'BLANK CELL;BLANK CELL' is pasted into cell A1
    2. Highlight column A
    3. Under Data menu option choose 'Text to Columns' then next
    4. Choose 'Delimited' then next
    5. Choose semi colon ; as the delimiter, then next and finish

It should immediately calculate. Change the Income Received figure to your own.
    BLANK CELLS are just to provide a space for headings or whatever.

BLANK CELL;BLANK CELL
    Tax Free Allowance;11000
    Threshold for Tax Free Allowance;100000
    Tax Free Allowance Adjusted for Income;=IF(B2-(B14-B3)/2<0,0,IF(B14<=B3,B2,B2-(B14-B3)/2))
    Lower Rate;20%
    Higher Rate;40%
    Additional Rate;45%
    Lower Rate Threshold;32000
    Higher Rate Threshold;=B8+B4
    Additional Tax Threshold;150000
    Additional Rate Threshold;=B10+B4
    BLANK CELL;BLANK CELL
    BLANK CELL;BLANK CELL
    Income Received;43900
    Taxable Income;=IF(B14<B4,0,B14-B4)
    Taxed at Lower Rate;=IF(B15>B8,B8,B15)
    Lower Rate Tax;=B16*B5
    Taxed at Higher Rate;=IF(B14>B11,B11-B16*B6,IF(B15<B16,0,B15-B16))
    Higher Rate Tax;=B18*B6
    Taxed at Additional Rate;=IF(B14>B11,(B14-B11)*B7,0)
    Additional Rate Tax;=B20*B7
    Total Tax Due;=B17+B19+B21
    Net Income After Tax;=B14-B22
  • bigfreddiel
    Options
    I've been using spreadsheets since dustybin 321 (lotus 123 for those who don't remember ted Rogers!), so all this thread so far is just basic stuff.

For newbies it's extremely easy to pick up because it's all instant and you can see the results immediately.

Your only stumbling block could be the equations, but if you have some basic arithmetic skills this is easy to get to grips with as well.

With Google at your finger tips you should be up and running with a basic spreadsheet in minute, say 60 mins if you include a tea real or three.

I also use my google account (free) to access their spreadsheet app that has functions to give you live share prices. So no updating of prices, nice!
    There is a function to get historic share prices amongst other data on equities. All very useful.

If you prefer a simpler tool for an equity portfolio, the Investors Chronicle portfolio tool is good and free, it can handle dividends, reinvesting etc and has daily, monthly and annual stats .

Good luck fj
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wneil wrote: »
    jordanjim

Yes as I said when posting it this is for income tax due on non-tax deductible income.
    What is non-tax deductible income? It sounds like income from which non-tax is deducted, or income from which tax is not deductible.

The first thing you did was enter a tax deduction in cell B2.

The rules for interactions between the various allowances are complex, but are better done with a spreadsheet than manually.

The reason I'm not posting my own formulae is because various bits of tax are calculated in various places, along with the totals for various types of income.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 September 2016 at 7:23PM
    Options
    I basically have four main spreadsheets for different functions, and I am now retired, having drifted int retirement or semi retirement somewhere between the age of 45 and 50 depending on what you call retirement, work or semi retirement.

The first is a simple spreadsheet that contains the current value of all liquid assets including bank accounts, any investments etc. I then have a column for interest rates or growth and therefore a bottom line that gives me total assets and probable income at today.

I have a tax spreadsheet which is the basis of entering all the stuff needed for our tax returns.

I have a spreadsheet collection which records rough monthly outgoings which is for a couple of homes, cars, travel, and other necessities and indulgences. This shows what I could do if I needed to cut my spend for example by selling a house or a car and what it would save.

The most important one that I started when I left the corporation and started our own business is a sort of consolidation of "where we are today and what is the effect of the worst possible scenario". Basically I use this as a sinking fund projection and in very simple terms with columns for opening total value including a value of all current assets including properties but not things like cars, an annual presumed increase factor for fixed investments like our property, an annual current spend column a column for actual income, and a column which shows the closing value at the end of each year after assets have increased and been depleted by spend which becomes the opening balance for the following year.

The reason why the last spreadsheet has been so important in our lives was that it showed us early on when we had started our business where we were risk wise. So early on I could say to wifey " the very worst that will happen to us today if our business failed is that we could by a caravan and we would survive if ai found a job." Eventually I could say "We have made and saved enough to stop and as long as we aren't silly we have enough to live on for the rest of our lives reasonably comfortably and without too much of a risk". It helped make sense of our situation at any moment in fairly fraught and risky times much more tangibly.

But the path and points in between guided my view about business risk and what I was prepared to do or not do. I feel that such a sheet is useful for people other than self employed because it gives a really good snapshot of exactly where you are and what you need to do to get yourself int the situation you wish to be in. Put simply it tells me how old I would be when I run out of cash and assets.

Whenever our accountants saw this sheet they were stunned by it's usefulness and simplicity and recommended it to their other clients. It can have the effect of stopping people from worrying when they might actually have little to worry about, or provide the basis of a blueprint to show what needs to be done to secure yourself. For example, it told me that I didn't need to increase my wealth as a necessity so I could afford to take all our cash out of "investments" and put them into bank accounts, which as both of us are a "worrier" stopped us worrying about risk that wasn't required.

Anyway, not a reply on "how to" but my view of what I find useful to manage and make sense of our lives. Hope someone else finds it of interest.

Jeff

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport