PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Vegan and vegetarian food on the cheap

Comments

• jazzyjustlaw
    jazzyjustlaw Posts: 1,378 Forumite
    I am veggie and I need some inspiration. Firstly, I want to make a veggie lancashire hotpot with a nice sauce and a shepherd's pie with a nice sauce and some casseroles that kind of thing? Anyone got any ideas or recipes for me? I also love mashed potato and ideas on some variations including a creamy mash. In fact any vegetarian meals would be ideal.

Also any ideas other than quorn that I can use as vegetarian chunks and veggie style chicken - Sainsburys are no longer selling thier own and I am lost now.
    All my views are just that and do not constitute legal advice in any way, shape or form.£2.00 savers club - £20.00 saved and banked (got a £2.00 pig and not counted the rest)Joined Store Cupboard Challenge]
  • Luis
    Luis Posts: 637 Forumite
    My Granny used to make a gorgeous shepherd's pie using TVP (textured vegetable protein). The key is in the flavourings added - coriander, oregano, tomato, veggie stock cube etc.

You basically soak it, then use it as normal mince, Granny used to flavour it with herbs, spices, veg, even tomato ketchup.

She also used to make really nice burgers using TVP mince, with rice. So nice, I still make them now as a treat.

If you like mash, then try Cheesy mash (use a good strong mature cheddar for best effect), Colcannon, Bubble and Squeak, Champ.

Try roasting veggies and making a veg lasagne. Yummy.
    "It was not my intention to do this in front of you. For that, I'm sorry. But you can take my word for it, your mother had it comin'."

Overlord for the Axis of Evil (part time) :D
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    I don't make anything meat like except toad in the hole with veggie sausages. As a result our meals tend to be high in fat because they involve pastry or cheese:

Cauliflower Cheese
    Leeks in cheese sauce (as Cauliflower cheese but ...)
    Cheese and Onion Pasties
    Homity Pie
    Quiche
    Cheese Whirls
    Pizza
    Gougere

But I just think about all the veg we're eating and pretend the fat doesn't matter! Other than that, it's chilli, veg lasagne, ratatouille type stew, veg soup.

When I do mash, guess what? I whack in loads of cheese! Then chuck more on top and grill it.
  • Flimber
    Flimber Posts: 736 Forumite
    You must try shepherds pie made with Mung Beans. It's gorgeous and they're around 23% protein. You basically make a 'thick' mung bean stew of some kind and smooth yer mash over it. And don't spare the garlic :)

HTH,
    Mike.
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    If I do a veggie casserole, I bung in a teaspoonful of Marmite. It helps to brown it and adds flavour. :beer:
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Please don't think I'm getting at you but yesterday I got some cows with calves to graze my field and they've had such a time today exploring their new home and frolicking about that it's seem such a shame to think that if everyone turned veggie there'd be no point in their existence. If it wasn't for meat eaters I don't know how I'd manage the field in a way which I and the neighbours would approve. Next year the calves will spend with their mates in the field to the front of the house but I can't imagine how this particular wolds countryside would look if it weren't for grazing. Animal husbandry doesn't have to be cruel, I just so love having them about it worries me that it is becoming so uneconomic to keep animals.

In other threads I keep pushing the importance of Omega 3's in brain development and general health, I'm particularly concerned that the vegetarian sources such as linseed simply aren't as effective as fish oils I hope your the kind of vegetarian which also doesn't exclude fish.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Please don't think I'm getting at you but yesterday I got some cows with calves to graze my field and they've had such a time today exploring their new home and frolicking about that it's seem such a shame to think that if everyone turned veggie there'd be no point in their existence. If it wasn't for meat eaters I don't know how I'd manage the field in a way which I and the neighbours would approve. Next year the calves will spend with their mates in the field to the front of the house but I can't imagine how this particular wolds countryside would look if it weren't for grazing. Animal husbandry doesn't have to be cruel, I just so love having them about it worries me that it is becoming so uneconomic to keep animals.

In other threads I keep pushing the importance of Omega 3's in brain development and general health, I'm particularly concerned that the vegetarian sources such as linseed simply aren't as effective as fish oils I hope your the kind of vegetarian which also doesn't exclude fish.

Surely though Ted, they wouldnt be bred for meat, they would be classed as pets. Sure there wouldnt be as many of them bred but they would still have a place in society. I would love a sheep if my neighbours wouldnt complain.
  • Addy
    Addy Posts: 1,896 Forumite
    Used to share a house with a vegetarian and would occasionally treat him to a veggie casserole with veggie dumplings!!

I don't remember the exact recipe but it went something like

1 tin baked beans
    1 tin chopped tomatoes
    tsp tom puree
    clove garlic, finely chopped
    onion, chopped
    3 carrots, peeled and sliced
    couple parsnips peeled and cubed
    3 or 4 spuds, as above.
    any other root veg you want
    tin butter beans, drained
    veg stock - pint and half at a guess.
    bouquet garni (or generous pinch of dried herbs!)

dumplings - veg suet, flour, pinch salt and water to mix (follow recipe on box!)

Bung all in pan and simmer gently for an hour to an hour and half - stir occasionally. About 20 minutes before the end pop the dumplings on the top and cook uncovered. Delicious and easy as pie!
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Also any ideas other than quorn that I can use as vegetarian chunks and veggie style chicken - Sainsburys are no longer selling thier own and I am lost now.

are you sure :eek: :eek: I love that stuff :eek:

creamy mash - I use marg (Pure) garlic/ finely slied onion and cheese

veggies dishes

Spag bol with realet veggie mince

ooo you've thrown me now, I've only got Sainsburys chicken pieces on my mind now....i'll have to get back to you!!!

ps I'm also a veggie....what do you/don't you eat???

Ted....I would be distraught if you killed your cow!!! I would rather everyone looked after animals nicely and had them killed nicely...I have been veggie for a little too long to easily consider eating meat again. but I would rather buy 'friendly' meat then 'evil' meat :T
  • nickinoo
    nickinoo Posts: 617 Forumite
    I use soya mince which is about £1.50 for a 400g bag in Holland & Barrett (I think they sell it in self weigh shops too), they also sell soya chunks but they made me feel ill as they just seemed a bit too meaty for my liking, they would be ideal for a "steak pie" filling.

I use loads of lentils, beans & pulses in my cooking. You can make stews, curries, chillis, shepherds pie etc with any of those.

I got a slow cooker after reading the thread on here & it's so good for a veggie stew.

A few pieces of dark chocolate in a chilli gives a yummy flavour.

Marmite & vecon are good for adding flavour to just about anything.

I buy the jars of lazy garlic, chillis etc & find them really useful.

I'll rack my brains & get back to you when I get a minute.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure