Fight back against over-priced cosmetics! Post your cheap but outstanding discoveries

Options

Comments

• EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Options
    Diane60 wrote: »
    Being a Liz Earle girl i was interested in previous posts regarding bnatural. Bought it last week from Tescos and its GREAT!! Couldnt get any cloths there, using my old Liz Earle ones. The thing is, my hubby (aged 62) is using it because he says he can see a difference in my skin. LOL. At this price I dont really mind, and he's never used a facial cleanser before. :rolleyes:

Beauty tip re face cloths: Don't forget to go to ebay and buy muslin sheets and cut each into 4 :T giving you 4 face cloths per sheet - around £3.99 + postage for 12 sheet = 48 cloths, so split with a friend or relative, or MSER :T :p Rather than £2 each...
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Options
    harryharp wrote: »
    Gilly- have you used the Ponds cream, and is it good?

I'm not Gilly, but I use Ponds and it's very good. The cleaner goes on very thickly and is quite hard to get off (I use a flannel and very hot water) but my skin feels really soft afterwards. The moisturiser is nice as well, there are three types (I can't remember which one mine is).
  • ames100
    ames100 Posts: 215 Forumite
    Options
    Asda has some really good simple bits. They do a moistriser in their essential care rage for about 79p!!! and its fragrance free. They also do another one with a hint of fake tan in it for about £1.20 ish which gives a really good natural colour. Also this week 3 packs of cleasing cloths for £2 normally 88p a pack each for 25 wipes! pretty good seeing as they only end up in the bin!

Superdrug do some goodies too tubs of pure coconut oil for £1 and Aqueous cream in big 500ml tubs for a few pounds they also deliver as i found out today on their website and crucially show you price cuts on all products.

Apparently the bojous (?) make up range is also made in the same factory as chanel and you can see quite a big similarity between the textures of their products! worth a try at more than half the price:T
    keep calm and carry on :rotfl:

may toiletries IN- 7 UU- 13

• Madhuri_NJ
    Madhuri_NJ Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    mogwai wrote: »
    Hi, yes its the stuff you buy in supermarkets. It doesnt smell strong, but if you want a nice smell, u can probably add some essential oils to the mix.
    I keep the mask on for around 10mins, and do it once a week at most, but you can do this probably a couple of times a week (my sister uses aspirin quite regularly).

Sour cream has lactic acid in it which is good for exfoliation and softening, so adds to the clarifying effect of aspirin. Good luck with it!

Thank you shoo much this is great help!

I also read somewhere ere i can use asprin n a cleanin lotion? i tried it yday n it feels gr8! thx
    Also i hav dne this for the pst 2 days...is that ok or am i over doing it??
    Thnks alot!
    :A [STRIKE]MNJ [/STRIKE]:A
  • Sexy_Legs
    Sexy_Legs Posts: 286 Forumite
    Options
    angel81uk wrote: »
    This is where it all starts to get a little more complicated! The top and bottom of it is no one seems to be able to agree! You've got those who say cool skin tones should stick to cool colours, some who say cool tones need warming up with warm colours, others who say a certain colour eye looks best with a certain colour shadow and then you've got others still who say make up is supposed to be fun and there are no rules!!!

Generally I'd say go with what ever you want, if you've got the confidence to wear what you like then you'll always look great no matter what you put on. If you want to start applying some rules then the basics would be those with darker hair can generally pull off darker or bolder colours than those with lighter hair. So if you've got dark brown/black hair you would look great with a really heavy, dark smoky eyed look. But if you applied the same colours to someone with light brown/dark blonde hair it would look OTT so you would need to tone it down a bit (perhaps use greys/mauves/greens instead of black). The exception would be someone with pale blonde hair and fair skin, the can look great in a dark smoky eye but it will look much bolder than on someone with dark hair. Then you've got to apply the rule the opposite way too.... pale pastels can look great on someone with light hair and pale skin, ok on someone in the middle but would make someone with dark hair look washed out.

Then we've got cool or warm colours, this can apply to hair colour and clothing as well as make up. Start by taking a good close look at the veins on the inside of your wrist... if the veins appear blueish then you've got cool colouring, if they have a more green tinge to them then you're warm and if there's a good mixture of both or you're somewhere in the middle then you're neutral. In general cool colours will suit those with a cool skin tone so choose foundation with pink undertones and colours that are more towards the blue end of the spectrum will look good (so think blues, greens, silvers, steel greys etc). If you've got warm colouring then choose a foundation with yellow undertones and go for colours towards the red end of the spectrum (browns, oranges, golds). Those with neutral colouring can use any colours they like, when it comes to foundation you'll generally need to mix an even amount of one with yellow undertones and one pink undertones as neutral foundation can be hard to find.

But once again there's the exceptions! This is where colour theory starts to come into play. But basically you've got complimentary colours and contrasting colours. Cool for cool and warm for warm is complimentary and is great for a day time or a more natural look. But if you want a bold look for a big night out then contrasting colours can look great, so if you're warm go for cool colours and if you're cool go for warm colours. You might need a bit of attitude to pull it off though so it's possibly not one for the more shy, retiring types! For the neutrals out there, the easiest way to get a bold evening look is to go for a darker or a stronger colour than you would during the day. If you're happy with that then stop here! If you want to choose eyeshadow depending on your eye colour then forget all about cool and warm (apart from using it to choose a foundation) and read on. But be prepared for a bit of a headache!

If you want to start talking about choosing an eyeshadow depending on your eye colour then I need to refer you to a colour wheel and things start to get complex! There's a simple one here http://www.connorwilson.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/color_wheel.jpg start by looking at the colours on the outside of the circle. We can probably all remember from our primary school days that there are 3 primary colours, red, blue and yellow and you will find those 3 colours spaced out evenly on the colour wheel. When you mix blue and yellow you get green (which you'll smack bang in the middle of blue and yellow on the colour wheel), red and yellow makes orange and blue and red make purple. Going back to making green for a moment you will see that the closer you get to blue on the wheel the more turquoise the green becomes because you're adding more blue than yellow. With me so far? Great! Now we need to use our imaginations a little bit here.... in a bigger colour wheel we'd have lots more colours in the outside of the circle that would be created by "mixing" more of one colour than the other.

Right, so on to how to use the colour wheel to choose a colour! Now I've got another colour wheel for you here with a bit more detail and some numbers to help me explain http://realcolorwheel.com/realcolorwheel.htm
    start by finding the colour closest to your eye colour. Lets say my eyes are blue like something in number 21. If I wanted to wear a colour that will be quite subtle I'd choose an eyeshadow that was either side of 21, so in this case I'll count 4 spaces around the wheel and end up with with 17 or 24 , either would work well. If I wanted a really bold, contrasting colour though I'd go for something on the opposite side of the wheel to the subtle colours, so I'd choose 5 or 35. If my eyes were brown (lets go for the brown in the middle of number 1) if I wanted subtle I would go for 5 or 33, if I wanted bold I would go for 15 or 23. If my eyes were green like something in 33 subtle colours would be 1 or 29 and bold would be 11 or 19. Try to avoid using a colour that's too close to your eye colour though, it just looks boring (the only exception is brown, browns can look ok on brown eyes but colours nearby or opposite will look more striking).

Now add to add your hair into the equation! Remember what I said at the start about dark hair carrying off darker colours and light hair carrying off paler colours? Well look at the colour wheel again. The darker colours are in the centre of the circle (if you kept on going in the colours would become closer and closer to black) and the lighter colours are around the edge (if you carried on working out the would get closer to white. If your hair is somewhere in the middle then go for a colour in the middle!

But for the best results with eyeshadow you want to avoid using one flat colour all over the eyelid. By taking the above steps you've found your base colour. Apply that colour all over the eyelid... then on the colour wheel staying in the same number you want to go in a few rings to find a darker colour, apply that to the socket line and along the lashline. Then go out a few rings and find a lighter colour, apply a tiny amount of that to the inner corner of your eyes to lift and brighten. To confuse things even more for a bolder look you can choose another colour for the socket line. Instead of just going darker you can apply the rules of the colour wheel to find an alternative colour. To give you an example lets go back to my blue number 21 eyes. I've decided I'd like a bold look so I've gone with 35 as my base colour. To choose the colour for my socket line I want to either move 4 places round the wheel ( so 3 or 31) and choose a darker colour near the centre, or for a really full on high fashion type look I would go for a contrasting colour (remember contrasting means opposite) so I would choose 17. Blue eyes with lime green and purple eyeshadow?! Yes, I know it sounds crazy! They're not colours you would normally think to put together, but the way the colour wheel works means that those colours will actually work well together. You'd have to be a braver person than I am to wear it out though!!!

I told you it was complicated!!!! Don't you wish you'd never asked?! I for one can understand why some people say there are no rules, just go with what you like. It's much easier!

Just to say a big thank you for your details advise, I never new anything about colour charts etc
  • harryharp
    harryharp Posts: 1,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am another fan of olive oil - used as a shower oil, and very small amount occasionally as a face oil at night. Plus mixed with sugar (brown is my preferred sugar) it's a wonderful hand and body exfoliator treat and practically free! I also add a few drops of essential oil (but not when used on face).
    Is this the olive oil you buy in supermarkets (if so what kind do you use- ie. extra virgin or whatever)- or is it a special kind you buy in a chemist?
    Many thanks.
  • harryharp
    harryharp Posts: 1,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    geri1965 wrote: »
    I'm not Gilly, but I use Ponds and it's very good. The cleaner goes on very thickly and is quite hard to get off (I use a flannel and very hot water) but my skin feels really soft afterwards. The moisturiser is nice as well, there are three types (I can't remember which one mine is).
    Thanks Geri. But the other poster (Gilly) seemed to imply that she was using just one product as both a cleanser and moisturiser...or have I misunderstood?
  • EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Options
    harryharp wrote: »
    Is this the olive oil you buy in supermarkets (if so what kind do you use- ie. extra virgin or whatever)- or is it a special kind you buy in a chemist?
    Many thanks.

Hi Harry, I use whatever I have going in the kitchen - normally extra virgin olive oil, which my mother in law brings us from France as it's cheaper (and free as she never asks for any cash!):beer: Then if I also want to exfoiate, I add brown sugar, or if I have none, normal sugar or fine salt (not sea salt as that would be too harsh for my selsitive skin).
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • Unity
    Unity Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Harry, I use whatever I have going in the kitchen - normally extra virgin olive oil, which my mother in law brings us from France as it's cheaper (and free as she never asks for any cash!):beer: Then if I also want to exfoiate, I add brown sugar, or if I have none, normal sugar or fine salt (not sea salt as that would be too harsh for my selsitive skin).

That goes for me too although with something like Phillipo Berio Extra Virgin you can see a difference. I haven't used this for years, but when my son was born he was overdue and was peeling very badly. The midwife told us to use this and he looked like a small greasy chip :rotfl: , but it worked a treat, though the skin on his feet came off in one sheet like a tiny footprint :A . Mind you, newborn baby, covered in olive oil from head to foot :eek: :eek: :eek: now that's a slippery customer - thank goodness he was my third - if he'd been my first I'd have been grey haired!
    Some people hear voices, some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever :D
  • Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For spotty skin, I think Cidal soap is brilliant: Cleared my spots up 30 years ago and has been great for my teenagers too. DD and I don't use cream exfoliators - we buy the packs of 10 flannels for about £1 in Ikea - they're quite coarse after a few washes so exfoliate nicely in the shower with your usual soap or shower gel

I also love Lidl's Iseree sensitive range -especially the day cream with Q10. Unfortunately it's out of stock atm, and head office don't know when it'll be back, as apparently it's a seasonal item:confused:. Managed to grab a couple in a different branch last week, though!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure