Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

January 2013 Grocery Challenge - Page 92

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

January 2013 Grocery Challenge

edited 12 December 2012 at 3:40PM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.1K replies 132.5K views

Replies

• SuzexxxSuzexxx Forumite
    173 posts
    Hi all :)

Just got back from my weekly whoopsie hunt. I did ever so well today, feeling rather pleased with myself.

My haul included:

*Potatos 5p for a large bag
    *2 x ham and pineapple pizza slices 30p each.
    *Crumpets 10p
    *Muffins 10p
    *Shortbread slices 10p
    *Pancakes 40p
    *Cold chicken and bacon pasta 18p
    *Fruit snack bag 5p
    *Apple snack bag 3p
    *Weightwatchers wraps 13p for 6
    *2 pack of bread rolls 5p
    *4 pack of bread rolls 5p
    *Whipping cream 10p
    *Single cream 11p
    *Chicken in peppercorn sauce 39p
    *Chicken in white wine sauce 39p
    *25 party sausages that need cooking 15p
    *6xpork pies 19p
    *Tear and share garlic bread 15p
    *Chicken and bacon sandwich filler 15p
    These reductions both from Mr M and Mr T :)

Also popped to Mr A to check out reductions but sadly nothing that took my fancy. Ended up buying a paper, fabric softner, 2 x milkshakes, apple juice and washing up liquid spending £4.

I tend to do my meal plans around my whoopsie shopping as i never seem to get the same whoopsie items each week. Last week i came home with more fruit and veg and bakery items compared to meat items, so the meal plan was very different. Whoopsie's mean for a few days after my DP gets to take more food to work for little cost.

Off to unpack now and start the tea. Hope everyone is having a lovely Sunday. Will update my signiture.

Suze :)
    2015 wins :j Sekonda watch, Harry Potter hardback book,
  • Nicki_SueNicki_Sue Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭
    Have just remembered that I have two boxes of vol au vent cases in the freezer and creamed mushrooms & Campbells mushroom soup in the cupboard that was meant for 2 events between Xmas & new year that I missed as had demon flu. Nice packed lunch fillers for DH and eldest!
    :j 13 YEARS ON MSE! :j

• Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    For XSpender

Chocolate Raspberry Pavlova

This recipe is from Sainsbobs Christmas Magazine, Dec 2012, and is by Nigella. I use half the quantities quoted in the magazine, which makes an ample pavlova serving 6 easily.

For the meringue base:
    3 large egg whites
    150 caster sugar
    1.5 tbsp cocoa powder, sieved
    0.5 tsp balsamic or red wine vinegar
    25g dark choc, finely chopped

For the topping:
    250ml double cream
    150 g raspberries
    2 tbsp coarsely grated dark chocolate

Preheat the oven to 180C, fan 160C, gas 4 and line a baking tray with nonstick baking paper.

Whisk the egg whites until satiny peaks form, then beat in the sugar, a spoonful at a time until the meringue is stiff and shiny.

Sprinkle over the cocoa, vinegar and chocolate, then gently fold everything together until thoroughly mixed in.

Mound onto a baking sheet in a fat circle, smoothing the sides and top.

Place in the oven, turn the temperature down to 150C, fan 130C, gas 2 and cook for 45mins.

When it's ready it should look crisp around the edges and sides and be dry on top, but when you prod the centre it should feel slightly squidgy inside.

Turn the oven off and open the door slightly to let the meringue cool.

When you're ready to serve, whisk the cream and pile on top. Scatter the raspberries and sprinkle the grated chocolate on top.

The meringue can be made a few days ahead and can also be frozen.

When I first made this I did the actual recipe with double the quantities shown above. It was HUGE! This reduced size recipe is just right.

Enjoy!
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP1: Christmas Pots - Historical Sampler Company

Cross-stitch WIP2: Pretty Little San Francisco - Satsuma Street
  • Wow well done Suzexxx thats amazing!!!!

NSD for me - quorn roast in the oven with all the roast dinner trimmings (we not vege but just like quorn)

DS2 birthday on Tuesday and have been planning the family buffet - raided the freezer and found loads of party finger food and sausage rolls decanted from big packets before xmas, there are crisps in the caravan, I will make cobs, pizza, small cakes and quiche from storecupboard and freezer items. Only things I will need to go to the shop for are more eggs and a tiramisu which he specifically asked for - really pleased not to have to spend big as our family parties usually are epic in food proportions and cost a fortune.
    May GC 433.32/ 350 :eek: Apr GC 263.43 /300
    Mar GC 346.43 /350 Feb GC 248.01/300
    Jan GC 249.47/400
  • Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

We had friends for dinner last night, so I have some spends to report.

MrW (!) yesterday £41.18, plus MrT £2.53. That was for dinner for 6 plus alcohol. Our turn to host, but will be invited back out to the other two couples later in the year.

MrT today with DD. She is such a sweetheart. The only extra she asked for was 2 x Trop!cana on offer at 2 for £3. We usually have juice from concentrate, but can't complain that she made a healthy choice.

£49.83 to add to the total, which included packed lunch bits for the week.

There was such a scramble at the F&V and chilled whoopsies fridges. People literally grabbing stuff out of the SA's hands as they were reducing it. As I didn't get to bed until 3.30am I didn't feel in the right frame of mind to join in!

Coxy

• Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry me again!

Budgets done to here :)

Welcome to:
    princess84, Helsbels8080, and MammaLewis :D

frooglefraggle - I've changed your budget from £180 monthly to £35 weekly.

Coxy

• edited 6 January 2013 at 6:29PM
    lynneeelynneee Forumite
    851 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 6 January 2013 at 6:29PM
    Well had a good weekend using up stuff and staying away from the shops! Spent £1.29 on milk and that was all. Will need to go to Mr Ms tomorrow, need fruit and veg and a few other bits. Most pleased with the progress I am making so far. :D Going to have a good check of what is still in the freezer before going, no point buying what I may already have!
    Glad to hear everyone is making good progress :)
    Need to be more frugal! time to refocus! 🙃
    #16 pay off 1% challenge 62/100 :smiley: #48 MFW 0/£1000 #7 pay off all debt in 2020 £2200/£3625 😀
  • A couple of spends to report:
    £2.14 for rinse aid and dishwasher cleaner (I really should shop in Wilko's for more cleaning products, so much cheaper than Asda!

£10.47 in Mr M on washing powder (should be enough for about 3 months ish), vinegar and milk.

It is definitely starting to become more of a habit to try and use things up here, am trying to throw away less food. Yesterday my parents came round which wasn't planned initially but made a huge batch of soup with parsnips, carrots, onion, garlic, and some leftover mushy peas and leftover mashed potato. Parents brought bread rolls so that fed four of us no problem, and OH ate the rest for lunch today. Then for tea yesterday OH and I had stir fry using up more leftover veg - peppers, mushrooms and onion. Then he had some leftover beef from Friday night in his and I had the rest of the frozen prawns in mine, so feeling very OS this weekend!!
    Kitchen Debt - 2820/260
    Save £12k in 2013 #060: 1293.24/3000
    MFW: 88760.00/85000.00 (4.24% paid)
  • Well done Suzexxx, our find are amazing, i need to take some tips from you, how come you fing things so cheap? X
    June £0.00 GC / £200.00
    Family of 4 : 1 adult 3 kids ages 3,4 & 5.
  • katholicoskatholicos Forumite
    2.7K posts
    First shop since before christmas, i think. £70.85.

One of my aims for 2013 is to eat loads more fruit and veg and my fridge is now choccablok with it. The freezer is now full of quorn products and frozen veg. Got some good offers at Mr. T's. of course, the offers are only good if it is stuff you buy anyway.
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14