June 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 May 2010 at 2:23AM in Old Style MoneySaving
908 replies 77.2K views

Replies

• AnnieGAnnieG Forumite
    800 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, can I join in please? I'm going to aim for £150, and have already made a small £13.80 sized dent in that!!
    Thanks, Annie
    Say what you mean.. mean what you say... without being mean.
  • Hiya, back for a new month. Back to food only for this month. OH is away so he has his own budget, so for me and the boys, I am aiming for £120 for this month please. That also includes the dog.
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • First spend for the month is £38.12 at Tesco on Saturday.
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • purplevamppurplevamp Forumite
    8.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    DH went trotting off to Mr S yesterday for our weekly shopping and spent £57.29, not too bad! We have some food left in the freezer from last month but not enough for another week. And I made 3 cakes over the weekend (one of which has gone already). No wonder my zip busted on my trousers :eek::rotfl:
    Mortgage: Was: £154,495 Oct 2039
    Now: £116,016.38 Dec 2037
    Swagbucks ~ £195 (2019 ~ £370)
    Surveys ~ £155.37 (2019 ~ £284.69)
    PTC, etc ~ $64.00 ~ (2019 ~ $189.25)

“I Love You" "I Know"
  • Mrs_ToastMrs_Toast Forumite
    450 posts
    :j Just came to update my signature. I've just been to Mr S and only bought what was on my list and it even came out cheaper than my 'My Supermarket' list so I'm very happy with myself.

Hope everyone's having a lovely Bank Holiday. As soon DS wakes up we're going to the park to play on the swings. DH hasn't seen him on the swings yet so it should be fun.:)
    TOTAL DEBT £12,212.46/£2000 paid off
    Debt Free Goal September 2017
    #106 Emergency Fund £482.53/£1000
  • edited 31 May 2010 at 2:34PM
    kezloukezlou Forumite
    3.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 May 2010 at 2:34PM
    Well peeps, came on with another bit of recipe tip.

This is my original recipe:-
    Making some falafel burgers today, for tomorrow:-
    450g chickpeas
    2 tsp ground coriander powder
    2 tsp ground cumin powder
    2 small onions, finely chopped
    4 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
    1/2 tsp chilli powder (i prefer fresh chillies but this if for the kids)
    1 handful of fresh Coriander chopped (optional)

2 tbs of chickpea flour or plain flour (to hold mixture together)
    salt (to taste)
    black pepper (to taste)

blend altogether and deep fry in very hot oil for 3 - 4mins till golden brown.
    you can keep them over night in the fridge just cover with a tea towel of kitchen roll

But instead i made them in the oven and they were really yummy with oil , water, BUT just enough to made the mixture a bit wet. Also tried it egg but it was far too dry. Oh and instead of deep frying you can also shallow fry them and work really nicely too, and healthier :)

I know its not a real recipe but thought i would up my new experiment. My poor poor family :rotfl:.

Think were having BNS and carrot later, just got it out of the depths of the freezer.

Will update my sig in a bit.
  • tracey12_2tracey12_2 Forumite
    425 posts
    Hi everyone

I am a newbie on this site although have been a lurker for some time. Can I join you on this thread as I need to get my grocery spending down. :beer:

I have 2 girls aged 4 and nearly 2.

Can you put me down for £350 for June.

Tracey
    Officially debt free :j
  • AquamarinaAquamarina Forumite
    96 posts
    Hi,

I have to report an overspend in May of £448.17/£350. Still trying to get the hang of my grocery budget. Please can you put me down for £400 for June. Hopefully this will be more realistic for a family of five.

Thanks,

Aquamarina

• tinkerbell73tinkerbell73 Forumite
    100 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    I used to do this challenge under another user name last year and got spends right down however having written down everything i spent in may and realised i spent 500 pound in a month for me and 3 children (who eat at their dads several times a week) i need to seriously cut down no wonder i keep running out of salary!! I have studed the website feed a family for 100 for a month and although do not think i am at that stage yet my plan is to cut down to 400 in June and then cut back in july and august so by September I should be down to nearer 300 (so i can start a small rainy day fund)

I am also considering joining slimming world - so really need to budget.
    Been stupid but have no regrets starting to slowly sort my finances now the kids are growing
  • GintotmelindaGintotmelinda Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    Can I join the June challenge please? I am going to aim for £350. Hello to everyone-I have been lurking for a while but have decided to take the plunge so thanks Mrs M.
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"