Which is the best debt to reduce prior to re-mortgage?

Options
I'm helping my brother out with his monies and his fixed interest mortgage period will expire in March 2009, so I am already considering possible re-mortgages. Now it may be the case that his credit rating and level of debt is sufficiently poor that he isn't able to re-mortgage, but we'll see about that... I'm wondering about another issue:

He has an enormous credit card debt that they have agreed to fix at 0% and let him pay a nominal amount off each month. He also has a secured loan on his house that is costing him over 10% APR. Now we all know that you should pay off the highest rates of interest first, but the credit card have made an interesting offer... if he pays off 40% of the balance, they will write off the remaining debt. All of a sudden, this means the equivalent APR for the credit card is way over 20% (paying the monthly payments at 0% and paying off all of the debt, compared to paying off only 40% of the debt now). The catch is, they will record it as a default on his credit record.

So the question is...
Given a cash sum of about £8000, is it better to wipe out £22,000 of credit card debt and have a black mark, or is it better to reduce a secured loan by £8000 and not have a black mark? Which option is better from the point of view of arranging a new mortgage in March next year?

Thanks

Comments

• Wutang_2
    Wutang_2 Posts: 2,513 Forumite
    Options
    Are you asking whether it is a good idea to register a new default on top of (already) bad credit??

"Which option is better from the point of view of arranging a new mortgage in March next year?"....have a guess
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Captain_Beaky_2
    Options
    Yes! Register a default, but have £24,000 less debt, or don't register a default and have only £8,000 less debt!?
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bizarre, how does someone who can't pay the minimum CC payments happen to have £8,000?
  • Wutang_2
    Wutang_2 Posts: 2,513 Forumite
    Options
    what a bizarre concept....looking to remortgage soon and hoping the new default will help things out!!! read the papers - read this site - what are you on??
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Rabiddog_2
    Rabiddog_2 Posts: 418 Forumite
    Options
    I would wipe out the CC debt.. on the basis that its good value (66% discount)
    on the other hand
    Can he comfortably keep up repayments on the secured loan and the mortgage?
    Any new mortgage given will take into account existing debts, so 22000 less is better than £8000 less.
    I don think your question about the APR's is relevant.....
    tribuo veneratio ut alius quod they mos veneratio vos
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport