not to sure where to post this debt recovery

Options
Ive been contacted today by a debt recovery acting for bulldog broadband, basically i only had it for 2 months and then we agreed to cancel this was back in 2005, luckily i have kept all my correspondance.

Basically i have an email saying they were going to cancel my account and was going to reconnect me to my own service provide in october 2005.

Then i had an email saying i had an outstanding balance of 16.75, i then contacted them again and they sent me an email to say they would credit my account for 60 pound for reconnection to my old isp , this was in december2005.

then i had an email in APRIL 2006 saying i owed 110 pound, i then eamiled again and they sent another email saying the had credited my account by 110 pound and my balance was zero.

Any way today i have had a letter form a debt recovery agent saying i owed 110 pound, now theres no way im going to pay it and luckily i have kept all my emails.

They asked me to email the correspondance, and i told them no and that if they were going to take me to court i would produce it then.

Now what im thinking is if they take me to court, and i have to take time off work and other expenses will i be able to claim this back off the debt recovery people if i prove i owe nothing.

confused
I am not a Mortgage Adviser
You should note that this site doesn't check my status as not being a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.

Comments

• Dez-Titute
    Dez-Titute Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    HI Confused,

Try contacting your local CAB office they are likely to be your best bet in the first instance but keep posting someone might have an answer.

Cheers DEz
    The triumph of hope over experience

mea culpa mea culpa mea maxima culpa
  • confused31_2
    confused31_2 Posts: 1,272 Forumite
    Options
    just found this on the goerment website so it seems they will have to pay the costs, if i can prove i owe nothing.
    Recovering debts through the courts

If you can't settle the matter in any other way, you may want to make a claim in court; it's advisable, however, to seek independent legal advice first.
    It's important to remember that:
    • if your case fails and the court rules against you, you could be liable for your debtor's costs as well as your own
    • a court is unlikely to make a ruling in your favour if it can't establish the facts of the case (this won't be necessary if your debtor hasn't filed a defence)
    • if your debtor has filed for bankruptcy or gone into liquidation, your debt will be more difficult to recover

Where your case is heard will depend on how much money's involved. It's advisable to get legal advice if your claim is over £5,000.

confused
    I am not a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as not being a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure