Advice on SOA please

Options
Okay, so my parents aren't going bankrupt at the moment... However my brother is (what a family we are.)

He's given me the following SOA and asked me for advice/to check it over. He works full time, his fiance is a stay at home mum, they have a 15 month old baby, and another one due in February 09. His fiance also has two daughters with her ex (an 8 and a 9 year old), who they have every other night, and then ever other weekend (i.e. they would have them Monday, Wednesday, and Friday evening one week, and then Tuesday and Thursday evening, and the weekend the following week).

Here's what he's given me so far:

Income (per month)
Wages: £1,500
Child Benefit: £170
Child Tax: £330 Total is £2,000

Outgoings
Rent: £300
Housekeeping: £520
Gas, Electric etc: £150
Water: £40
Telephone: £40
Travelling to and from work etc: £250
Clothing: £80
Council Tax: £110

Other essentials:
Pets: £20
Holidays: £60
Dental: £10
Prescriptions: £10
TV Licence: £10
School clubs: £10
Car tax: £12
Car Insurance: £40
Breakdown Cover: £10
Hair cuts: £15
Emergencies: £15

Have I got too much down for things? Not enough? Is there anything I'm missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• LearningtoSave2006
    Options
    Can anyone help?
  • oneandonlyboy
    Options
    Hi,

Just having a look at your SOA.

The phone looks alittle high the OR might question it, the same goes for travel. I put down £230 on my SOA and my OR wasn't too pleased with it. I had to send in my monthly railcard to prove that's how much it cost.

Pets and holidays are a funny one, some OR allow them some dont. I wasnt allowed any pets that was included in my household which was set at £173 by my OR.

Emergencies arnt allowed at all, anything like that has to come out of your surplus money.
  • LearningtoSave2006
    Options
    Hi, Thank you for having a look. I've just spoken to my brother and have been looking around the site at other SOA's as well. I've noticed that Child Benefit isn't included as an income?

Income:
    Wages 1500.00
    Child Tax 330.00

Outgoings:
    Rent 300.00
    Housekeeping 520.00
    Gas, Electric 150.00
    Water 40.00
    Telephone 30.00
    Petrol 150.00
    Clothing 120.00
    Council Tax 110.00

Other Essentials
    Pets 20.00
    Family Holidays 80.00
    Dental 10.00
    Prescriptions 20.00
    TV Licence 12.00
    School Clubs 20.00
    Car tax 14.00
    Car Insurance 40.00
    Breakdown Cover 15.00
    Hair Cuts 20.00
    Personal Expenses 40.00
    Contents Insurance 20.00

Does this look better? I think the reason the petrol is so high is because of him coming down to visit us once a month (he's one end of the country and we're the other). The telephone is high because they don't have a landline, so it's two mobiles (which they have to have because of the kids and his job), I have put it down slightly though.

Well if the OR were to set their Housekeeping at £173 it would go up dramatically with two adults, one full time child, and two 'part time' children (therefore being calculated as another full time child?).

Hmm, I've changed Emergencies to Personal Expenses - not sure if that'll be allowed or not, it's just already during this pregnancy my sister in law has been in hospital twice, and it's likely she's going to be going in maybe once a month for a few nights and the car parking there is extortinate. I know that's not the OR's issue, but still, it seems unfair that my brother and their daughter can't see her because of the cost of parking.
  • Red1708
    Red1708 Posts: 843 Forumite
    Options
    Child benefit isn't included in the calculation but it still has to be entered on the SOA.

What about car maintenance? I think the phones were fine I was allowed £56 for TV, internet and phones for me and I teenager.

School clubs might be a bit of an issue, mine were knocked back. Haircuts are £10 per adult and £3 per child. I was allowed £18 per month for me and my daughter which was a cut and blow dry each every six weeks.
    BSC Member 59 - AD 29th March 2008

• oneandonlyboy
    Options
    Hi,

Sorry my household was for just myself.

This sound abit hard, its not meant to be, but when it comes to travel the OR will normally only allow travel which is essential ie travelling to work. The OR will also ask questions like can you not use taxi or public transport for work and shopping. Travelling to see family isnt high on the OR's list im affraid.

Personal expenses isnt allowed either, anything like that is meant to come out of any surplus you have. It might be worth while looking at PAYG phones.

Does he really pay £1800 a years for gas and electric?(£150x12) seems high to me thats all.
  • LearningtoSave2006
    Options
    Red1708 wrote: »
    Child benefit isn't included in the calculation but it still has to be entered on the SOA.

What about car maintenance? I think the phones were fine I was allowed £56 for TV, internet and phones for me and I teenager.

School clubs might be a bit of an issue, mine were knocked back. Haircuts are £10 per adult and £3 per child. I was allowed £18 per month for me and my daughter which was a cut and blow dry each every six weeks.

Okay, so I'll re-enter Child Benefit on the SOA but make sure I don't include it in the calculation.

I never thought of car maintenance, thanks.

Hair cuts we can't really put anything down for my brother because he just shaves his head. lol Would £20 be okay for one adult, a 15 month old (who's actually just started having her hair cut) and two girls (aged 8 and 9)?
  • LearningtoSave2006
    Options
    Hi,

Sorry my household was for just myself.

This sound abit hard, its not meant to be, but when it comes to travel the OR will normally only allow travel which is essential ie travelling to work. The OR will also ask questions like can you not use taxi or public transport for work and shopping. Travelling to see family isnt high on the OR's list im affraid.

Personal expenses isnt allowed either, anything like that is meant to come out of any surplus you have. It might be worth while looking at PAYG phones.

Does he really pay £1800 a years for gas and electric?(£150x12) seems high to me thats all.

No that doesn't sound hard - well, not from you - it's the rules so I can't be upset by you pointing that out! lol

Okay... so, do you think the amended £150 fee would be considered okay? Or is it still too much? It's taking my brother to and from work, my sister in law to and from the hospital, taking the two girls to and from school/their dads, shopping etc? Wouldn't a taxi be more expensive? The bus would add up as well with an adult and 2+ kids?

For work I think my brother has to have a contract, my sister in law does have a PAYG, but like I say she uses hers alot to arrange things with her ex about their two girls. I've lowered it to £30 a month though, does that seem more reasonable?

Apparently so yes, it does work out really expensive.

Brother has just told me that water is included with their rent (council house) so I've come up with yet another SOA... This look better?

Income:
    Wages 1500.00
    Child Benefit 170.00
    Child Tax 330.00

Outgoings:
    Rent 300.00
    Housekeeping 520.00
    Gas, Electric 150.00
    Water 0.00
    Telephone 30.00
    Petrol 150.00
    Clothing 120.00
    Council Tax 110.00

Other Essentials
    Pets 20.00 (possibly won't be allowed)
    Family Holidays 80.00 (possibly won't be allowed)
    Dental 10.00
    Prescriptions 20.00
    TV Licence 12.00
    School Clubs 10.00
    Car tax 14.00
    Car Insurance 70.00 (he's just told me this one, seems very high to me)
    Breakdown Cover 15.00
    Hair Cuts 20.00
    Personal Expenses 0.00
    Contents Insurance 20.00

£136.00 Surplus
  • Waspeze
    Waspeze Posts: 2,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just having a quick look for you :)
    No that doesn't sound hard - well, not from you - it's the rules so I can't be upset by you pointing that out! lol

Okay... so, do you think the amended £150 fee would be considered okay? Or is it still too much? It's taking my brother to and from work, my sister in law to and from the hospital, taking the two girls to and from school/their dads, shopping etc? Wouldn't a taxi be more expensive? The bus would add up as well with an adult and 2+ kids?

For work I think my brother has to have a contract, my sister in law does have a PAYG, but like I say she uses hers alot to arrange things with her ex about their two girls. I've lowered it to £30 a month though, does that seem more reasonable?

Apparently so yes, it does work out really expensive.

Brother has just told me that water is included with their rent (council house) so I've come up with yet another SOA... This look better?

Income:
    Wages 1500.00
    Child Benefit 170.00
    Child Tax 330.00

Outgoings:
    Rent 300.00
    Housekeeping 520.00
    Gas, Electric 150.00 Does seem quite high?
    Water 0.00
    Telephone 30.00 put £40 and see if it gets put down
    Petrol 150.00 same as mine and was fine, Had to prove that public transport would have added over an hour each way to my commute though.
    Clothing 120.00
    Council Tax 110.00

Other Essentials
    Pets 20.00 (possibly won't be allowed)
    Family Holidays 80.00 (possibly won't be allowed)
    Dental 10.00
    Prescriptions 20.00
    TV Licence 12.00
    School Clubs 10.00
    Car tax 14.00
    Car Insurance 70.00 (he's just told me this one, seems very high to me) possibly too high, risk losing the car if car expenses are deemed extortionate.. has he tried the comparison sites and then getting it through quidco to get cash back?
    Breakdown Cover 15.00 might get knocked back a bit, again.. if total car expenses come in too high the OR may deem it too expensive to run and restricting any possible IPA, therefore may not be exempted.
    Hair Cuts 20.00
    Personal Expenses 0.00
    Contents Insurance 20.00

£136.00 Surplus

Just my thoughts :) might be worth putting emergencies on.. will probably get disallowed but usually allowed one of Birthdays, emergencies or holidays !
    :hello:
    Save a little money each month and at the end of the year you’ll be surprised at how little you have.
    An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport