🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Contents Insurance protocol!

Options
I have found since being becoming a bankrupt and even now that I'm now discharged from bankruptcy, that insurance many companies ask the question on their application forms, have you ever been a bankrupt or a discharged bankrupt.

Question: What is the insurance companies slant on this, would they refuse contents insurance cover [we all need to cover our possession however small] or is the premium going to cost me more?

As a discharged bankrupt, I feel stigmatised and prejudiced against even though I was only in bankruptcy for 7 months [a genuine case] but the best move made considering my circumstances at the time. It would seem even 10-20 years on this question would still be asked by insurers!

Can someone clarify this situation for me.
Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Kier_2
    Kier_2 Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    I'm afraid I don't know the answer to this, but I hope someone does because it's one of the big questions that's been worrying me too.

So many applications - banks, insurance, services, whatever - have that "or have you ever been" question on them. Is this going to affect my life forever?!
  • user55
    user55 Posts: 345 Forumite
    Options
    I was turned down for contents insurance while bankrupt. I don't know whether it would be different now I'm discharged.

Hey I might try to get quotes and find out!
  • Kier_2
    Options
    The problem is you can get quotes without going through the whole application process can't you?

You never know what surprises are lurking at that final hurdle.
  • brightonman123
    brightonman123 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    Options
    should tell them, and emphasise discharged - will only decline any subsequent claim, if they found later you didnt disclose this?
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • suziewin
    suziewin Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    I had to renew my contents insurance and had no problems in getting a policy despite being undischarged. Some insurers will not accept bankrupts, but many do. I made double sure the new insurers knew of my status as I would hate to be in a position to need to make a claim and be rejected because of misinformation.
  • melody916
    melody916 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    hi, thanks to all that have replied. The suggestion would be to try it out first when enquiring on the phone and see the insurers have to say, will try this.
  • suziewin
    suziewin Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    Melody916 -

better still, use the search engines stated on here so you can search all the insurance companies in the UK - it will take about an hour and you will need to check the small print re BR - but it is totally worth it. I saved £200 a year by doing this.
  • melody916
    Options
    hi again, found out just now that one < does not > have to tick the YES box if a person is a discharged bankrupt, only when bankrupt, so enquiry solved!
  • Kier_2
    Options
    Do you not have to tick the box even if it says "or have you ever been.."?
  • melody916
    Options
    .......not sure what one writes down if the question asks < have you ever been etc. > but Castle Insurance checked and informed me that their box need only apply to existing bankrupts, so it might be an idea to clarify with other insurance companies if their policy is the same.:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport