Writing jobs online

Options
I just moved to the US, but I'm pretty sure this is good for anyone in the UK, too, as the jobs are online. I often use craigslist.org to look for online writing jobs (a lot of them also offer transcription jobs, which is good if you have a foot pedal, but I don't!).

The best ones for paid blog writing or article writing are the Boston, New York and Los Angeles craigslists, but the Miami, Seattle and Washington DC ones are really good, too. If you have the time I'd suggest trawling them all, because I've found some good leads on even the Raleigh one.

To narrow it down there are just two sections of each site you'd need to check - the writing jobs and the writing gigs. When you select writing jobs, to make sure it's not an in-office (i.e. having to be in the US) job, select the "telecommute" option if you don't want to click on the links, but sometimes it's easier to just click on them as sometimes a job will say "for a website" (which IS telecommute), but that they just didn't list it as a telecommute job.

For writing gigs, select "pay" because often "really popular" or "exclusive" magazines will expect you to work for free, which is a joke if they're just a blog with 0 comments. Sometimes though employers will try to weed out the jobseekers who select "pay" and not list pay in the required section of the ad, but will stick it in the body of the advertisement itself.

It may seem like a longshot for a lot of people, and a lot of the articles are very topical, but the gigs section of craigslist is the "free to advertise" section, and there can be a lot of scammy-looking ads out there. The safest ads are the types that say $7-$25 per article or post, or pricing by the word. You don't need to sign up and what I do is if I find an ad I might consider I'll email it to myself (using the "email this posting to a friend" link at the top-right of the ad) which will have all of the info in it.

Also, one last note - I don't think they'd care, but it's best to rename "CV" to "resume" for the US-based writing employers :)
:cry::cry::cry: ~ R.I.P Heath Ledger, George Carlin, Stan Winston ~ :cry::cry::cry:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure