Am I Being Greedy?

Options
Hello,

3 months ago I got a promotion to 'Team Leader' from a senior Field Engineer, I work in IT and had two small pay rises last year - march 2007 and Oct 2007 I recently had a promotion in March 2008, and today my 3 months are up and my workplace have offered me the Permanent position of Team Leader :T I've asked what pay increase but the response i've had is that i've had x2 recent increases lol. Surely more pressure/responsibility = more rewards (money)?? Ive said if I dont get any increase I dont want the position and will remain as a Senior Field Engineer.

Recently had a little baby girl so need as much as I can get :D

Have I done the right thing? How can you promote someone and not give them any increase in wage?

Comments

• Timmne
    Timmne Posts: 2,555 Forumite
    Options
    I think you're right.

You just have to ask yourself whether you're adding more value to the company in your new position. This literally translated means you're helping the company make more money so yes, you should be paid more!

Having said that, it depends what your aims are. If you want to keep progressing, it's obviously a good plan to keep shtum and put up with the new job for now - if not then stay where you are!

I dislike companies doing this to staff although usually they just ignore it and the member of staff is too weak/frightened to mention it! I am commercially minded though as a management accountant, and it seems ludicrous to me to promote a member of staff, essentially saying "well done, you're getting better" and then not actually reward them for it!

So no, you're not being greedy, IMO.
  • premiershipfan
    Options
    definately agree, If you feel your value has increased, then you should request a payrise, obviously if your previous payrises made you "overpaid" for your previous level, and this promotion brings that back in line ,then you may be best keeping quiet hehe
  • inmypocketnottheirs
    Options
    I agree also. If you are taking more responsibility and are making more of a contribution to the business, then you should be rewarded financially for doing so.

Good luck!
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
  • Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you didn't get an increase in pay then it's not a promotion - it is a demotion because you are doing more work for the same money.

The pay rises were for you in the old position, they surely bear no significance to the new one.

Do they often promote without increasing wages?

Would you be a higher paid Senior Field Engineer, or a lower paid Team Leader [ie what are others on in the same positions?]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure