'hidden from view clause'

Options
Hi I wondered if anyone can help me...
My ipod was stolen from under the seat in my car. It was a forced entry and the window was smashed - but on calling Tesco home insurance they rudely told me that it is not covered because it was not in a locked glove compartment or boot. The insurance policy only states that it has to be 'hidden from view' - which it was - but obviously not their interpretation of it. Have I got a case? Has anyone had a similar experience? I would really welcome some advice...

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Read the policy document and if you are still unhappy start the complaints procedure.
  • maryherve
    Options
    The policy doc only says hidden from view and no mention of locked glove compartments or boot at all...
  • raskazz
    raskazz Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    If you did hide it under the seat then there is no doubt that it is techically covered under the policy. However, I think the problem is that the insurer will be of the opinion that it was not 'hidden from view' because if one looks at the matter objectively, it would be hard to believe that an opportunistic thief would have smashed the window if he could not see anything to pilfer from inside the car!

Al you can do is raise a complaint, the procedure will be contained in your policy documents.
  • ilikedrawing
    ilikedrawing Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Possibly but thiefs will break into a lot of cars and go straight for the glovebox...and they definatley cant see the contents of a glovebox. Its probably just a routine search for a thief...glovebox and under the seats are likely places for people to 'hide' things.

As for mr/mrs.no_ipod, is it worth claiming on house insurance for an ipod when your policy excess is most likely £50+? Or was it one of those new ipod touch thingys that cost a fair bit?
  • cvillakg
    cvillakg Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    well your insurers argument would be if you can put it under the seat then why not n the glove compartment .. you may come up with all possible explanations but the fact it was not in the glove compartment might just not do much good to your case ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure