🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Mortgages on debt management

Options
Hi

I am thinking about getting a mortgage and wanted to consolodate current debt I have before doing so. I have no problems in making my monthly payments and am up to date on payments except for an issue I had with my CC company about non-receipt of statements - this went on for 3 months and finally when a statement was received a payment was made.

I have been refused a loan for £7000 which would manage everything I owe which is: 1 loan £4800 oustanding
1 credit card £819 oustanding
1 Catalogue £300 oustanding
1 Overdraft £1870

I have access to my credit files (all 3) and my credit score is low possibly due to a late payment log on my CC account - other than this I don't have any bad debt/CCJ's/Arrears etc....

If I can't get a loan - what are tha chances of a mortgage?

If I decided to go under debt management - would this affect my chances of a mortage?

I am very confused and would appreciate any advice anyone may have....

I am desperate to sort this out!

Comments

• Conrad
    Conrad Posts: 33,137 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, if you opt for a DMP a mortgage will be less likely.
    A DMP is a wrapper that enables you to pay less on debts than the sums you originally agreed to pay when the debts were taken out.

A mortgage lender will therefore view you as a late payer. Furthermore they have to lend responsibly but for clients that have a DMP it becomes debatable as to whther they should then grant a mortgage offer as this places much more debt around the applicants neck.

Sometime DMP do not show up and people have sucesfuly been accepted for a prime mortgage, but that would be a chance you take.
  • ianian99
    ianian99 Posts: 3,095 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    why dont you clear exsisting debts before getting deeper in and could you really afford more debt
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport