Nerdy Note: Mispriced beans

Options
12346»

Comments

• tenuissent
    tenuissent Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Have Tescos changed their policy? A few years ago I bought 5 bottles of wine because they were very reduced and I knew it was a good one. Once back home, I noticed they had gone through at full price.

When I telephoned, they said that when they made a mistake, the customer was entitled to have the goods free; and next time I was there, they refunded every penny I had paid.
  • koshkha
    koshkha Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I went to Matalan this weekend to stock up on their Egyptian cotton sheets in the sale - bargain even at full price and doubly so with 50% off.

Fortunately I had already totted up what the bill should come to before I got to the cashier so I knew I had been overcharged when I saw the total. It turned out that even though one sheet and its matching pillow cases were marked at 50%, the computer said 'no' and charged me full price.

I was told that they'd been labelled wrongly because that one colour wasn't in the sale. The assistant then had the nerve to look at me and say "sometimes people peel the labels off" - so I'm not only to be over-charged but insulted as well. I asked her straight 'Do I look like I need to peel the labels in Matalan?'

Every sheet or pillowcase in that colour was incorrectly included in the sale and I wonder how many people were over-charged without even realising.
  • Ialwaysgetdone
    Options
    Tennisnutz wrote: »
    I was amazed one day at Next Clearance in Doncaster when I took a coat priced at £39 to the till and it went through for £3. It was an obvious error but the assistant said as it had gone through the till, the amount stood! I got a fab winter school coat for my daughter for £3!

Are you sure it was a mistake? We regularly shop at Next Clearance outlets and get £50 items for anything between £2 and £5. Most items we get are rung up cheaper than the last price shown on the ticket but the menswear tends not to be very cheap at all
  • rsharp
    rsharp Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Today I went (out of my way - I normally use Sainsbury's) to Morrisons due to an ad in today's national papers offering cheap fruit & veg deals. Whole there I saw a couple of shelves of reduced bread/rolls etc with short dates. There were packs of 6 tea cakes (sticky buns) stickered from 99p down to 49p and still showed a separate sticker 'buyonegetonefree', so I pickup 2 and paid for them when I checked the receipt I had paid 2 at 49p with no discount shown. I went to the service counter to raise this to be told the 'BOGOF' did not apply to any reductions (so I'd paid 98p instead of 99p), I said 'this is not acceptable' so it went to 2 further levels of shop floor managers who still maintained that’s the rule. I said ‘you keep them and I'll take a full refund of 98p and you will have lost a potential regular customer’. He filled out a form to refund the 98p – please note that he did not take it back to a till to refund it, he could have used his form to refund the 49p for CUSTOMER GOODWILL (does anyone else remember those good old days?). Despite the fact that the apples and tomatoes were a good deal (and quality) I won’t go back to Morrisons again.

Sainsbury's have started doing this as well - If an item was on BOGOF, or similar offer, and then discounted as going out of date, the offer would still apply. Now, however, the original offer (still marked on the packaging) seems to be void, which means you are better off buying 'new-dated' stock rather than the discounted almost out of date stuff! :mad:
    MSIQ = 158 :j
  • Kazzajr
    Kazzajr Posts: 1,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Asda now clearly mark on their packaging that reduced items are excluded from linksave offers.
  • irrelevant
    irrelevant Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    rsharp wrote: »
    Sainsbury's have started doing this as well - If an item was on BOGOF, or similar offer, and then discounted as going out of date, the offer would still apply. Now, however, the original offer (still marked on the packaging) seems to be void, which means you are better off buying 'new-dated' stock rather than the discounted almost out of date stuff! :mad:

Indeed ... I picked up two packs of ready cooked chicken peices in Sainsburys the other day. Reduced from £3.odd to £2.50 each. trouble was, they also sported a "2 for £5" sticker.. so hardly a bargain then... might as well buy fresh ones!
  • muggles
    muggles Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    It took me about 15 minutes of discussion to save £12 - sad aren't I!!

I don't know, £48 an hour sounds like big money to me...
  • smala01
    smala01 Posts: 154 Forumite
    Options
    You might be interested in a legal opinion here;

The thing to remember here is that if a shop wrongly advertises a product in the eyes of the law the misdemeanour is NOT against you as the consumer. It is against the general public, and the penalty is enforced by the court (via trading standards)

You cannot force them to sell a wrongly advertised product in any circumstances. Many large retailers have customer friendly policies in the event of a shelf edge ticket being wrong and will let you have the item (to avoid hefty fines from trading standards)

As for online transactions, it would be very difficult for the company to argue a contract is not formed when the payment is taken from the credit card. Remember the terms and conditions are not binding if they are unfair or contradict the law.

Smala01
  • ayla261
    ayla261 Posts: 450 Forumite
    Options
    what a b****rd you may say but I was having a bad day and felt I had been tricked into buying something that seemed to be at a bargain price only to be told after queuing for 10 minutes at the till the price was £12 higher) - I think therapy is really helping now)

:rotfl: :rotfl:

(It took me about 15 minutes of discussion to save £12 - sad aren't I!!)

:T I think a £12 for 15 mins of 'discussion' is not sad but fantastic, would take me nearly three hours work to make that much!
    This time next year Rodney... :D
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I used to work for Dixons and we occasionally got discrepancies between the price labels and the price on the till system. The policy in our branch was quite simple. You used the lower price for that transaction without argument and with good grace. In fact, if the till price was lower, you would advise the customer of this. However, you also then immediately removed the price label and rang Hemel Hempstead to get it sorted.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure