🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Live in buy-to-let property: Is there any loophole?

Options
Hi All

Is there any one live in a buy-to-let property nowadays? Is it something against the law or is there any loop hole that can be exploited..
2.1% - 2.4% DAILY PROFIT INVESTMENT -
:beer:DEBT FREE BY 2011 (INCLUDING MORTGAGE - FINGERS CROSSED):beer:

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,133 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you mean get a BTL mortgage and then decide to live in the property yourself or move back into a property that you have previously let out?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • pickles110564
    pickles110564 Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    Options
    maxkpp wrote: »
    Hi All

Is there any one live in a buy-to-let property nowadays? Is it something against the law or is there any loop hole that can be exploited..

Why would you take out a BTL mortgage which cost more than a normal one?
    This has got to be a wind up.
  • silvercar
    Options
    Why would you take out a BTL mortgage which cost more than a normal one?

You can get a mortgage based on the potential rental value of the property rather than your income.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • maxkpp
    maxkpp Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    silvercar
    Yes, thats what i meant, get a BTL mortgage to buy a prop, and live in it instead of let it out
    2.1% - 2.4% DAILY PROFIT INVESTMENT -
    :beer:DEBT FREE BY 2011 (INCLUDING MORTGAGE - FINGERS CROSSED):beer:
  • Old_No.7
    Old_No.7 Posts: 113 Forumite
    Options
    (Ah, just read answer by OP, so you can ignore my message!)
    Hi there, a friend of mine was in a similar situation: she changed her mortgage on the flat where she'd lived to a BTL mortgage as she was moving abroad. But she then decided to come back after a few months. So she was then tied in for 2 years into that BTL mortgage, which would have been expensive to break due to penalties. Not sure what she ended up doing: I think she sold the place (paying the early redemption charge anyway) as she needed the money. (sorry, this is not very helpful to OP, but just wanted to say it does happen).
  • silvercar
    Options
    maxkpp wrote: »
    silvercar
    Yes, thats what i meant, get a BTL mortgage to buy a prop, and live in it instead of let it out

That would be fraud, obtaining money by deception. If you want to buy a property to live in then you need a residential mortgage, the terms of a BTL mortgage would not allow you to live in it. This is because the amount loaned is based on the likely rental income, if you live in the property you won't have the income and so the lender would have judged you can afford it on a false information. If you want to buy a property to live in, why not just get a residential mortgage, if your income isn't sufficient maybe you need to rethink your plans.
  • silvercar
    Options
    Old_No.7 wrote: »
    (Ah, just read answer by OP, so you can ignore my message!)
    Hi there, a friend of mine was in a similar situation: she changed her mortgage on the flat where she'd lived to a BTL mortgage as she was moving abroad. But she then decided to come back after a few months. So she was then tied in for 2 years into that BTL mortgage, which would have been expensive to break due to penalties. Not sure what she ended up doing: I think she sold the place (paying the early redemption charge anyway) as she needed the money. (sorry, this is not very helpful to OP, but just wanted to say it does happen).

Not quite the same as the mortgage application (and the loaning of the money) was genuine. Moving in to a property that has been let out due to a reason that can be proved, is a different matter. Probably a breach of mortgage conditions, but not a fraudulent matter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport