Post Office For Sale - Is it worth it?

Options
A Post Office near me has been put up for sale. It's quite small (only 1 teller). It is not part of the current closures. There is the usual small shop attached but in my opinion it is not very good (dated stock, not much variety, etc.) I think there would be scope, because of location, to incorporate more diverse stock (gift / boutique style).

Are there any Post Office Owners / Workers on MSE? What are your opinions on the Post Office, good small business opportunity? How is the post office salary calculated?
Thanks

G

Comments

• toastking
    toastking Posts: 187 Forumite
    Options
    There is a reason a lot of them are going out of business so you would have to really do your sums and try and work out whether it was in fact a good deal. Write out a proper business plan its easy enough to do and its just a case of thinking about your plan thoroughly and how you hope to get finance for the business and how quickly you plan to repay it. If you really do get stuck pm me and I can see what I can do to help you out as I have a little bit of experience in writing them and so am not a total newbie.

Hope thats of help, basically just be careful and be clever about it and it could be a good idea, be lazy and think it will work itself out and you will fail miserably, business isnt easy.
  • ler01kjh
    ler01kjh Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    Ask to look at their accounts first to see just how bad the business is. It'll give you an idea of how much cashflow you'll require before you carry out the transformation and produce a profit.
  • gmc_3
    gmc_3 Posts: 262 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. The business is fairly sound financially, it is only up for sale due to the current owner retiring.

Are there any sub postmasters out there?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure