Partners credit issues..help needed..

Options
roadrash
roadrash Posts: 90 Forumite
I wonder if anyone can help?

About a year ago my partner was with someone different, at a different address up in Blackpool, my partners ex pursuaded my partner to take out 3 credit cards and one over draft. Once the cards were maxxed out and the overdraft had been used..he was dumped..
The credit was taken out using his partents address nr Luton.

When we got together I paid the credit collection agency that was chasing him, so now all his debts are clear, however of course he will have a bad credit history.

Now was have been together a while I am going to get him on the ellectrol roll where we now live together.

I guess my question is, will his credit history be messed up forever! I know after 6 years it clears off ur credit file.

Any comments, suggestions or whatever are much appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    The best thing is for him to contact Experian and pay £2 to see what his file actually does say.

He can dispute anything he believes to be incorrect.
  • nh
    nh Posts: 567 Forumite
    Options
    After six years the adverse info that is on his file now will have gone so as long as he does nothing else in the meantime I assume that means his record will not have any adverse info on after six years.

Not having any adverse info is a good start but if in six years there is no credit history good or bad, your partner may still have problems getting credit. Nearer the time (or now if you like) get him to get any credit card he can (regardless of the interest rate) and put a small amount on each month and pay in full each month.

Then he will have a history and it will all be good and he won't have paid massive interest charges!
    I'm married now! Yippee!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport