Wedding Booked - 7 weeks away - theme ideas?

Options
Arrrggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :eek:

Never thought I'd find myself posting in this forum but we've gone and named the day - booked it all today!!!!!

We are booked to get married on 8th Aug at the top of a lighthouse - just the two of us and 3 kids (the dog has to wait at the bottom for us!!) - the older two kids can be witnesses and they will let the younger one sign too so he's not left out - which I think is very thoughtful of them.

So now the panic starts .... any ideas welcome!!!!

No one else to be invited - plan to use a good photo of us at the lighthouse to have made into 'postcards' (or maybe do them ourselves) to mail out to everyone we know saying "look what we did this summer"!

Thought we might find a caterer local to the lighthouse to provide a nice picnic hamper so we can have the ceremony bit and then have a picnic on the hill the lighthouse sits on - it's a lovely spot. If it rains the lighthouse people say we can stay inside to have a toast and then we can always have our picnic in the car!!!!!!

Have been trying to find some red and white stripe (traditional) lighthouse cufflinks for OH and DS and maybe gold or silver lighthouse charms for necklace/bracelets for the girls - think the charms will be easy to find but no luck so far on cufflinks.

No idea what to wear - bearing in mind we have to climb the steep steps inside the building to the lantern room - OH fancies getting hold of some yellow sou-wester hats for a jokey photo - can only find the modern version so far though - was hoping to find something more traditional looking.

Apparently the lantern room gets very hot so need to consider that when thinking about clothes!!!

So excited I can hardly think straight ... any ideas for lighthouse themed stuff that won't break the bank?

Thought we might hold a BBQ back home a few weeks later for a knees up with friends and family - maybe get a hog roast person round.

Eeeeek how long does it take to get rings sorted?????

Trying not to break the bank but have enough cash to treat ourselves a little bit.

Comments

• bigmomma051204
    bigmomma051204 Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    Options
    hi - sorry, no ideas (tho i will have a think i promise lol!) but had to just say how COOL your wedding is gonna be.......well done!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sooooo cool! :j :j :j

by the way - not gonna gatecrash i promise but which light house, where??!?!? didnt even know you could get married in one!!!!!
    Baldrick, does it have to be this way? Our valued friendship ending with me cutting you up into strips and telling the prince that you walked over a very sharp cattle grid in an extremely heavy hat?
  • smileypigface
    Options
    Thank you :D

Have PM'd you the location!!!!!
  • shelovestobuystuff
    Options
    Wow!Congratulations!
    A lighthouse and a picnic on the hill.Throws up images of period dramas.I can just imagine Jane Austin writing about that.How about using Jane Austin novels as your theme or inspiration with sky blue and white as your colour scheme(bringing in the nautical colours).
    I can see you in a long slim dress with a square or sweatheart neckline,little puffball sleeves,empire waist and straight or A-line skirt shape.The dress could be in white or pale sky blue satin.Wear it with long gloves and carry a delicate fan,you may need it.The shoes would be little satin pumps which you could have dyed to match a blue dress.Perhaps a delicate white lace shawl over that.
    Hubby2b could wear a longline period jacket in navy velvet with a striped pale blue and white waistcoat underneath to complement your outfit.
    The children would look fantastic in anything in your colours but simply styled, so they dont have to wear period too.Girls in pale blue dress or white with blue accessories,boys in pale blue satin waistcoats.
    I am getting carried away now!
    Take a lawn game with you too so you can have some food and a play about at your picnic.

Or go with a red and white thing.You can wear anything you like,the lighthouse is your theme I guess and you just have to choose the colours.Whatever style suits the wearer.I have seen lighthouse wedding photos where the party were all in pure white relaxed cotton or linen outfits and the bride held red roses.It looked beautiful and it would be simple to do.Really,with 7 weeks to go you dont want to be scurrying about looking for period drama outfits.
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
  • shelovestobuystuff
    Options
    If you are having an event at home afterwards how about these lighthouse place card holders,only $99 which is about 50p each,you could use them to put photos in as favours.
    http://www.wrapwithus.com/Favors/5337-fc.html
    Gorgeous lighthouse embossed invitations,you wont need these but they are fab.$1.08 each,dont know exactly what that is in £ but maybe you can use these for the BBQ invitations
    http://www.bella-wedding-invitations.com/product-detail.aspx?i=1688&t=S
    you can wear anything,this couple went for wedding clothes in red and white and they took their dog with them too!
    http://www.visitourscotland.co.uk/scottish-weddings/scotland-weddings-lighthouse-venue.jpg
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    You can get nautical cufflinks from these people but they are not lighthouse ones:

http://www.hotcufflinks.co.uk/index.php?cPath=13_56&osCsid=80946dc93786c2ea501194daadb6d019

I will continue looking.

I have just remembered where I have seen similar things only nicer before:

http://www.nauticalia.com/uk-info/jewellery_and_watches/jewellery/lighthouse_ditty_box/3070.html - they also have cufflinks and brooches with a nautical flavour.

Congratulations on the forthcoming nuptials - a lighthouse sounds fab.
  • rwaite
    rwaite Posts: 289 Forumite
    Options
    I found these lovely sterling silver lighthouse charms - thought they might be nice to put on a silver chain.

http://www.maldonjewellery.com/bj2003-sterling-silver-light-house-charm-1104-p.asp
  • rwaite
    rwaite Posts: 289 Forumite
    Options
    I've just found these cufflinks - not quite what you are looking for. They're in America so you'd have to see if they will send them here.

http://www.justcufflinks.com/catalog_detail.cfm?sort=yes&keyword=&sortbyORD=4&sortbyCAT=17&sortbyFEAT=0&begin=17
  • chardonnay_2
    chardonnay_2 Posts: 2,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hi, that sounds brilliant. if you don't mind could you pm me the location. cheers.
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
  • fraz_babe
    fraz_babe Posts: 2,908 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry no links etc !But hope you have a great wedding, it sounds like its going be amazing !! xx
    Proud mummy to 3 beautiful children who I love so so much :oxxxx

Baby girl due april 2016! cant wait to meet her. xxx
  • smileypigface
    Options
    Just a quick thank you for the links and ideas posted - much appreciated x
    :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income