Osteoporosis screening

My husband asked his doctor for one as it is running in his family, three of them, one sister is almost an invalid. He was told he does not fit the criteria, as he is male and is 64. He did a blood test to test his calcium levels? I am wondering whether this is reliable and would appreciate advice from members, please. Thanks

Comments

• osteoporosis answers the question who can have a DEXA scan?
    More details of the condition and early signs in men at the end of this article.
    Netdoctor Osteoporosis

Looks like the Nice Guidelines will be issued next May

With regard to the Calcium test Blood calcium levels are usually normal in osteoporosis even if the bones are deficient, making this test useless for diagnosis. This comes from Osteoporosis Lab Tests Online
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Bargain_Rzl
    Bargain_Rzl Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    I'd be interested to find out more about this as I am almost guaranteed to get it when I'm older.

I'm female, 27, my mother (age 52) is the youngest of 4 sisters and was diagnosed last year. All her sisters and their mother also have the condition, and have had various problems getting bone scans etc!

Mum had quite an early menopause (before 45 I think) but despite the family history, could not get tested for osteoporosis. 3 years ago she ended up in hospital with a crushed vertebra after a very minor accident. The consultant did not believe there was sufficient evidence to send her for a scan, and it wasn't until a year later that she had one and was diagnosed.

Her sister (a GP) had been nagging her to have one for ages, and Mum had not wanted to push to get one cos she didn't like being nagged by her sister :rolleyes: . She still has not told her sister she has it, because she doesn't want her to say "I told you so" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Until my mum got diagnosed I didn't even know I had a family history of it, and I wish I had found out earlier because I'm now at about the age where you can only maintain, not increase, your bone density.
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • Bargain_Rzl
    Bargain_Rzl Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    PS, in response to the OP, it really IS normally a female condition, caused by insufficient oestrogen levels after the menopause. Does your husband have male relatives who suffer from it? If not, he probably has little cause for concern. ***BUT PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM NOT MEDICALLY QUALIFIED SO THIS IS JUST MY VIEW, NOT ADVICE!***
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • Remember that only moneysaving elements of health questions should be dealt with here. The links to Netdoctor I provided earlier show what can be done to prevent the development of the condition but individual posters should not give medical advice themselves here.

Have had a bit of fun ringing round BUPA, Nuffield Hospitals and my local hospital to find out about getting a DEXA scan and it should be possible to get one in 20 weeks on the NHS if you can get your doctor to recommend one.
    However privately you may find ringing round your local hospital will find one who does the scan who will also do it privately.

If you desparately want it done http://www.europeanscanning.com/bmd.shtml will do a bone density test for £220
    EDIT:
    http://www.bmihealthcare.co.uk/servicedetails.cfm produces a list of British hospitals which will do a DEXA scan. I phoned one at random who told me I could be seen in 2 days if I came with a letter from my GP and £115.
  • marylee
    marylee Posts: 497 Forumite
    PS, in response to the OP, it really IS normally a female condition, caused by insufficient oestrogen levels after the menopause. Does your husband have male relatives who suffer from it? If not, he probably has little cause for concern. ***BUT PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM NOT MEDICALLY QUALIFIED SO THIS IS JUST MY VIEW, NOT ADVICE!***

Yes, his sister just became incapacitated with it and bed-ridden and had to go to France to have an operation privately on her back, I think, they put cement etc. There was an article about it. His brother had the bone scan and was found to have osteoporosis and he is now on medication. I will tell him to go and insist to have a scan although he is reluctant to do it, he is 64 yrs. My sister in law who is as fit as fiddle and when she asked for it, she had no problem getting it done. The Dr told my husband it depends on the health authority.

The other option is to have it done privately. I was told, they can do it on your heel.
  • This study confirms almost universal vitamin D inadequacy among 548 elderly patients admitted to hospital with hip fracture, The moneysaving point about this is that Vitamin D is free so a 15 minute walk in the sunshine will provide your daily requirement. (follow the link and you will see the food sources for VitD are similar to those for calcium) Sunshine/vitamin D also helps ward off Prostate cancer which is potentially a bigger risk for a 64yr old male. If you make it 30 minutes of vigorous walking you will also meet your minimum exercise requirement to lower osteoporosis risk.
  • Jazzy_B
    Jazzy_B Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    I had no problem getting a referral from GP. Although there is no family history, I did have an early menopause (41).
    I would try again, or see a different doctor.
    Good luck
  • Both men and women can suffer from osteoporosis and it ultimately costs the NHS millions. Lots of information about osteoporosis - both prevention and treatments available from http://nos.org.uk. (sorry don't know how to do links).
    The availability and accessability of NHS scanning varies greatly around the country ( over a year wait around here and only if stringent criteria are met).
    Firmly believing that everyone should have at least one scan (around the age of 50 - if no other risk factors suggest early scanning and admitting I am a health care professional) my money saving advice would be - shop around if going privately (all the major private chains have web sites) as the cost varies greatly, GP letters are not always needed and there are often reduced prices in June (Osteoporosis month). Heels can be scanned (usually ultrasound and cheap) but you really need Dexa scanning for accurate results (spine and hip) so check what you are getting if offered a heel scan.
    HTH someone
    Trish
  • My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business